Reload this Page >

Welder, Wellington

Welder, Wellington

Old Jul 15th 2016, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

El_queenio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Welder, Wellington

Hello,

So I have been offered a management/ teaching post in a very prestigious school in Wellington - a dream job that i'd never get here or even dream of! The school have already advertised twice in NZ hence this opportunity for me. We originally looked at moving to NZ 2 years ago but didn't go through with it as didn't think I'd get a job and this job sort of found me!

Husband is a welder, fully qualified with 10 years plus experience, does anyone know the job industry for him in Wellington? It doesn't have to be welding, he'd be happy to do any type of construction/fabrication work.

Also, where are the better areas for a young couple with no kids to look for a rental place? The school is in Wellington city.

Any other advice/tips/hints for the move (won't be Til December time) would be appreciated!!!
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welder, Wellington

Originally Posted by El_queenio
Any other advice/tips/hints for the move (won't be Til December time) would be appreciated!!!
That's not far away; you'll need to get your skates on and book travel and accommodation. Flights and places to stay will be heavily booked out and will be at a premium. Obviously the longer you leave it the less choice you will have.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats. Once you are in Wellington I would be very surprised if your husband had any employment problems.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 6:38 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

dependent on what type of welder some are on some lists so there is call for it.
there does seem to be quite a few jobs on Trademe so he should have no problems but it looks like he will need to to look at the licencing side of things, so maybe worth looking into that before he comes over. maybe email some of the agencies on trademe and ask them what is required.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
dependent on what type of welder some are on some lists so there is call for it.
there does seem to be quite a few jobs on Trademe so he should have no problems but it looks like he will need to to look at the licencing side of things, so maybe worth looking into that before he comes over. maybe email some of the agencies on trademe and ask them what is required.

He is actually on the immediate short skills list.

That's great thanks, will get in touch with the agencies there.

Would that be the best place to look for somewhere to live too?
Old Jul 16th 2016, 10:32 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes would be best place to look and also some local estate agents also do rentals but they will also be listed on trademe, but once you are over it is best to get talking to them as they then have you in mind so call at least every other day. I doubt very much you would get a rental before you coming over and to be honest it is not advisable without a viewing.
As already pointed out you really do need to start looking now at places to stay, its high season and people will be booking already.

you maybe best to book a holiday let for a month and try and negotiate a good price, that way it gives you time to have a good look round for areas to initially live and see how it fits.

have you looked into area's. do you want close to beach or CBD or something more rural. How far do you want to travel for work? whats you rental range price wise? do you know the ins and outs of renting - locked in agreements?, what is expected of you and of the landlord? Bonds requirements and up front rental cost?
Old Aug 25th 2016, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

Me again! So far in our process we have sent my qualifications off to NZQA to be assessed, once received will start teacher registration in NZ.

Have emailed agencies in Wellington for husband and feedback has been positive. Still no answer as to whether he needs his qualifications assessed either though. Have any welders been through it?

We have arranged to rent our house out here - can't quite let go of it yet! If we love NZ we will sell in 1-2 years time. We are renting it fully furnished so don't need to arrange shipping. Just coming with suitcases 😱

We have booked our flights. We arrive in Wellington on 5th January and school starts the 27th. Have been looking on Air B&B for somewhere to stay when we arrive. Also we want to live in Wellington CBD so have looked at typical apartments/rent prices.

Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to stay when we arrive? Looking at booking 3/4 weeks in a block. Do you think that's sufficient time to sort out a place ?

Also, thinking about bank accounts. Will we be able to open one without a fixed address or do we find a place first? What comes first ? 😝

Any other tips/advice greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

You will usually need an address for the bank account so they can send you a letter (which you take back in) - in my wife's case she used the motel address but I guess the 'big city' banks may be more formal than Kerikeri
Old Aug 26th 2016, 5:57 am

you can open an account from the UK you just won't be able to take any money out of it, just money in. When you get here you will need to provide an address and show them your passport and visa. they will then activate a atm card for you.

as for registration for welding jobs maybe give Canstaff an email and ask them