Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Weekend in Christchurch

Weekend in Christchurch

Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:19 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weekend in Christchurch

Hey everyone.

We are planning a trip down to Christchurch and wanted to ask some random questions.

Where would be the best place to get a pair of jeans?
What is a decent restaurant, that also caters for kids (I hate kids platters)?
Where can I get a curry? (practically drooling at the thought)

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:51 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekend in Christchurch

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Hey everyone.

We are planning a trip down to Christchurch and wanted to ask some random questions.

You have to go to Curry En Route, amazing curry! They did have a fancy website but doesn't seem to be working any more. They have two places - one in Amberley (could pop in on your way down) or Mt Pleasant. Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Try Corianders for a curry, new one on St Asaph is pretty cool. Can't help you with a child friendly restaurant though.

There is a fancy independent jeans shop in the Tannery, a good friend seems to enjoy blowing money there.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Seconded for Corianders or there's a place on Colombo called Himalayas that I've eaten at a few times and enjoyed.

Personally I just get my jeans at Just Jeans (there's one in pretty much every mall)

Winniebagoes seems okay with kids or they were when I went there with my friend and her toddler.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 11:49 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, just checked out Corianders, they have pictures of every dish. Super excited!
Old Aug 4th 2015, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

I was impressed with Coriander's, had a meal at the Edgeware Road location not too long ago, and reasonably priced too.
Kid friendly restaurants, La Porchetta normally have a wide range of meals including pizza, pasta etc and normally fast service (important for children). China Kitchen has great food and family friendly. Lonestar might appeal, good food, lots to look at, family atmosphere. Depends how causal or upmarket you want to go.
Jeans: Dressmart in Hornby has a number of outlet stores including a Just Jeans and a Jeans West store.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 2:41 am
Loves Australia

AceofSpades is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone.

They sell jeans in Christchurch ?
Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone.

1. K-Mart or Warehouse. A wide range of high quality class jeans at amazing prices...

2. We tend to go to a place called Caesars which is located at the Northwood Retail Park. This place has a play area inside where kids can go. There's three rooms, one for the little kids (with loads of little toys) , one room for the elder kids and then they have a playstation/xbox (not sure which one) where kids can go and have a game. The food isn't up to much but it tends to be very family friendly, and you don't really need to worry about some high horse Victorian times living person being offended that your kid screams etc. No Stuff/Daily Mail readers to be found there.
Kids meals are great and all come with a free drink and ice cream at the end.

3. If like me, you like a nice hot Jalfrezi, Madras etc - then there's only one place to go and that's Little India (it's where the Indians tend to go as well) at the Merivale Mall. It is the only restaurant in Christchurch that understands what the word 'HOT' means. Vindaloos, Madras', Jalfrezis and also Tindaloos are cooked to perfection and have the correct levels of heat, actually they are hot! They even cook the perfect Chicken Tikka Masala there, when I'm not in the mood for some fire.
However, if you've always fancied a nice hot curry as mild, then take your pick. There's even one restaurant that serves a Phall curry as mild, where we used to live near.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 2:28 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
We tend to go to a place called Caesars which is located at the Northwood Retail Park.
You have had good experiences at Caesars?! Went there just the other week. The food and service was pants. Granted it's family friendly, but that's probably the only thing it's got going for it. We never really planned to go there, we only went as a last minute thing and the Stone Grill next door was fully booked. Much better options in Chch for a decent family meal IMO.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Aug 9th 2015 at 2:33 am.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
You have had good experiences at Caesars?! Went there just the other week. The food and service was pants. Granted it's family friendly, but that's probably the only thing it's got going for it. We never really planned to go there, we only went as a last minute thing and the Stone Grill next door was fully booked. Much better options in Chch for a decent family meal IMO.

If you had read the whole post I wrote, you would clearly see the following

"the food isn't up to much"

If you took a look at the kids area, that's the only reason why we go. The only other place that has that sort of kids area is McDonalds, which quite frankly i'd rather force my youngster to eat his own excrement than the rubbish served there.

Last edited by Tom H; Aug 9th 2015 at 11:05 pm.