Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We are coming over in January

We are coming over in January

Old Oct 13th 2014, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We are coming over in January

Originally Posted by concretepump
sell it , there's loads of cars in nz, look on trademe
Definitely bring it, there are loads on trade me but high mileage and expensive.
We sold a 2004 Citroen c3 for £1000
Here for our $2000 budget we could get a 1996 Nissan cefiro with over 100000 km on the clock. Soooooo wish we bought our car with us
Old Oct 13th 2014, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

suza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone. My husband works in IT and has got a job in Tauranga. He is coming over in January alone to find somewhere to live and get settled in before we come over in March.
We have family in Roturua who we stayed with two years ago for a holiday. They have said that my husband (Steve) can stay with them until he finds somewhere to rent.
When we were last over we looked at the Lakes and really liked it but not sure if they have any rented properties on the site. I think that Roturua would be a little far for Steve to commute to work everyday??
I have been looking on the Realestate site at properties and a lot come up in Roturua, papamoa, Otumoetai, Pyes pa, Mount Maungnui. I need to be somewhere with good schools as have 3 young children.

Bevs I keep looking at property to rent in Tauranga but it seems very expensive, but would love to be there or the Lakes or Bethlehem. All pricey hehe.

Tomsk thank you so much. Its a real relief to know that people are so friendly and been in the same boat. Like I said we have to sets of aunties and uncles in Roturua so would be lovely to meet up.

You are all very welcoming and helpful. Thank you

Sue
Old Oct 13th 2014, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

The Lakes is fine but no houses to rent there as they are all new builds so they're either built to order or built then immediately placed on the market for sale. Building companies aren't interested in renting new houses out. They want a quick turnaround and big profits. Not really my cup of tea down at The Lakes. Too new for my liking and like a mass building site since there's so many houses going up.

Bethlehem is the priciest 'burb in Tauranga. To get better value for money you should look at Pyes Pa, however not sure about schools. They're all zoned depending on where you live but I've not heard of a bad one. There are some websites you can look at to see they're performance over the last 5 years but all depends when the survey was conducted to get an idea of accuracy. Don't read too much into the decile rating as that does not give an indication of how good a school is. It's all about the "quality" of pupils families so the lower the score the more government funding. High score means little or no funding so the school must generate its own.....and there's only one place they're gonna get it - parents!
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

pomikiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Stock up on clothes/shoes etc. There isnt the choice here like in the UK and it is generally more expensive.

GOOD LUCK and i hope everything goes well with the move.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Leave your car and go to Quality Used Vehicles | Japan Direct | Tauranga | New Zealand NZ . I bought a car from here and it is near central Tauranga. There are loads of places to buy a decent car from. Best to buy from a dealer I suggest.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Evolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Take your washing machine. Most seem to be top loaders. I lived in Tauranga for 8 years so know the area very well. It is beautiful. Good luck with your new life.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

suza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone. Just doing all the paper work for visas. Was wondering if we need to have a certain amount of money in our bank when coming over?
Thank you
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

Congrats and yes bring everything. Only thing I would add, please be a bit thoughtful about any furniture that has joins through the top, like a dining room table, sometimes the wood does not like being moved from one climate to another. Now that your your going to be in the warm and mildly humid climate of Tauranga you may find the joins open up as the wood changes its moisture content, has happened to me. Also don't forget to get your medical records from hospitals and doctors before you go, I have moved several times internationally and had some places refuse to send these electronically to new providers.
One thing we find hard is your credit records don't always follow you around the world, so to that end make sure you get references from banks and any other institution. When we were "Exciled" in OZ, although we had jobs and a stack of cash and a freehold house, no one wanted to know us and we were at first refused credit cards and the like. We really had to front up to the banks and put our foot down, not nice at all.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Polly. Did you have to have a certain amount of money in your account?
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:31 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we didn't. It may depend on what visa you are coming over on if it is a criteria
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
The Lakes is fine but no houses to rent there as they are all new builds so they're either built to order or built then immediately placed on the market for sale.
Not quite true, You will find that an awful lot of new properties are bought as investments with the sole purpose of renting them out.
Try looking at the local real estate offices for rentals or try any local letting agents. All real estate offices will have a letting agent.
Also take a look on Trademe.
If its a brand new development you may be out of luck as they tend to draw residents first. I dont know the area but its worth a look

Last edited by Justcol; Oct 23rd 2014 at 7:16 am.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there
We are in Tauranga and just moved out of Bethlehem , we sold our house so are renting at the moment.
Great time to be arriving but some prices get inflated for holiday season !
Great place to live and work. Schools are zoned so you will need to take this into consideration.
Trade me is a good site to look, also try New Zealand Real estate site , they have rentals as well as houses for sale.
You will have to pay agents fees ( usually a weeks rent ) and a bond ( usually 4 weeks rent) . You also need references and many agents and real estate have application forms that you complete and send in for EACH property you are interested in - which was a tad frustrating ( why one application form with all your details that can be kept with the agent is not enough is, in my opinion mad ) anyway the agents told me that they have such a big turn over and demand is huge this is the system many of them use.

My advise would be keep checking on a daily basis, be kind to the agents and do your research

Happy to help - just PM me
Old Oct 24th 2014, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Bolton 1.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hello. Right next big thing is shipping? Who did you go with and how much? Still not sure about bringing the car too.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:17 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Please use the search function for both these queries, there's bazillions of replies as this question gets asked again and again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.