Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are we barking up the right tree here?

Are we barking up the right tree here?

Old Sep 2nd 2015, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

salmoncolour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are we barking up the right tree here?

We've researched jobs, lifestyle, finances, houses, schools, communities, groups, activities, watched millions of tv programmes, googled NZ so many times it comes up first on my weather updates...but we are still not sure.

Yes, obviously, it's a huge decision and financially it will be a massive thing for us so we need to get this right.

We have a nice life in the UK. Decent standard of life, we can't ask for much more. We are generally happy here but...
What makes us look at other options is:
1. we can't afford to buy a decent property here (mainly age issue)
2. schools
3. very little free time
4. very imaginative (sorry that I have to be another one to say it) - weather

We realise property in NZ is overpriced and the quality questionable but if we can get 30 years on a mortgage as Mr Google claims, we should be alright.
What we want from NZ is:
1. a decent outdoor living space and enough time/good enough weather to chill out with friends on an afternoon or weekend
2. enough outdoor things to do and decent enough weather for it
3. schools that wouldn't fail our children, a place where they can grow up being kids, playing outside, going to the beach and not comparing Xbox games and results :/

Does this sound like good enough match?
I know it's impossible to say how another person will find something but any opinions will be very much appreciated.
PS We are mainly looking at Wellington
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 10:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we barking up the right tree here?

Originally Posted by salmoncolour
I know it's impossible to say how another person will find something but any opinions will be very much appreciated.
New Zealand plugs here aren't nearly as good as British plugs. This doesn't seem an important consideration until about the thousandth time you've pulled the hoovers plug out because you got to the end of the cord.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Charismatic
New Zealand plugs here aren't nearly as good as British plugs. This doesn't seem an important consideration until about the thousandth time you've pulled the hoovers plug out because you got to the end of the cord.
We are good then. We don't hoover, we just sweep things under the rug.

I am just after opinions and experiences, is this the kind of lifestyle one can achieve and you know people have or is it the result of clever marketing... :/
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

jparsons is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can say after 3 and a bit months of living here is that the weather shouldnt be the sole reason of moving here. But actually im winning cos i love rain and mid teen temperatures
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jparsons
All I can say after 3 and a bit months of living here is that the weather shouldnt be the sole reason of moving here. But actually im winning cos i love rain and mid teen temperatures
Thanks!
Are you in Wellington?
I know the winds can get bad there but then again, they are bad here too so I suppose we're used to it.
We love moderate temperatures. My kids don't do well in temps above 30, lol.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Nah im in Auckland but its been a bit stormy here in the last few days. Ive always hated anything less than about 6-7 degrees and also anything above 25, yes im awfully fussy

I have also noticed that the sun here is deceptively strong in the summers.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jparsons
I have also noticed that the sun here is deceptively strong in the summers.
The UV index is one of my concerns because of the children's fair skin. :/
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

The UV index is one of my concerns because of the children's fair skin. :/
If you want the best of both worlds you should move to Ireland and buy a holiday home in Spain. You'll have the scenery in Ireland and the weather in Spain and will probably save thousands without the added stress
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If you want the best of both worlds you should move to Ireland and buy a holiday home in Spain. You'll have the scenery in Ireland and the weather in Spain and will probably save thousands without the added stress

If scenery was the main reason, we'd stay where we are.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 7:42 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

schools here are different and my personal experience is they are not as good as UK schools. weather is more extreme, housing is shocking. The "she'll be right" attitude is frustrating.
Kids quickly get over a visit to the beach, lots of sports are seasonal - again very frustrating. my kids actually do less here than the UK because of the seasonal factor and the fact that some things are just to far away.
we are monetary and on a day to day worse off than we were in the UK.

Hind sight would of seen us trying a different part of the UK, far less dramatic, costly and still with family contact.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Well we moved from semi-urban UK (outskirts of London, just outside the M25 in Surrey) to the eastern bays in Auckland. As a general feel I believe that NZ is has a more pleasant and relaxed vibe about even in its largest city.

Luckily for us fees for private education are paid for by work so there is no issues regarding quality of education. There definitely vere some very good state school options availible to us also, e.g. auckland grammar. I'm sure you can find something similar in Wellington but bear in mind of the zoning system as that will be a crucial factor regarding admission.

In terms of general cost of living:

Groceries are about 10% more expensive. Eating out in restaraunts is cheaper. TV,phone and broadband are hideously expensive here. There is no council tax to worry about but gas and electricity are more expensive.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Are you in Wellington?
I know the winds can get bad there but then again, they are bad here too so I suppose we're used to it.

I suspect you might find yourself unpleasantly surprised.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

There is no council tax to worry about...
Eh? What am I paying $620 a quarter to the council for? Are there no rates in Welly?
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 9:37 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Eh? What am I paying $620 a quarter to the council for? Are there no rates in Welly?
yes I saw that, we pay rates and water is metered. so pay for that also.
also had to pay a bond for the utilities which they are just increasing the daily cost on
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 10:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As the OP has noted, no-one can really guide with this, only give of their own NZ life(style) experiences.

Over the years I have come to think that those whose eyes are firmly set to emigrate to A N Other country , will do so regardless of what cautionary tales may be told & really, why not.

From reading the opening post and having been around BE for donkeys years, my first thought was that the family should look to tweak that which they are dis-satisfied with where they currently are.

I'm not sure what is meant by a 'decent' house nor if the OP is serious about a 30yr mortgage from age 55.

Weather does seem to feature quite heavily, however you don't come to NZ for the weather. With Wellington there will certainly be weather . The NZ sun is merciless & year round precautions are sensible, especially for children.

JParsons is not paying rates so may well be renting. For those owning their own homes, there will be rates, water rates & rubbish collections to pay.

There are school 'donations' here .

I don't really get the outdoors thing. If someone won't 'do' outdoors in the UK then why would it be different here really, unless it is just the mindset. Quite often it does seem to come down to proximity to coastline or countryside, rather than anything else, although weather is often given as a reason. However, our friends and family over the UK seem to be able to enjoy the outdoors without issue & do not seem to be continuously under a grey cloud of drizzle.

Still. If one feels the pull for adventure and the mind and body willing, then why not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.