Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Washing machine plumbing. Help!!!!!

Washing machine plumbing. Help!!!!!

Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washing machine plumbing. Help!!!!!

Help. We are having our front loader washing machine put in our kitchen next Monday. Our installers say it is NZ law that we have external taps. They say we cannot have stopcocks behind the machine as they must be accessible without pulling the machine out. Is this correct?

NZ friends think its something to do with mains pressure build up.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:15 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Washing machine plumbing. Help!!!!!

Originally Posted by nero
Help. We are having our front loader washing machine put in our kitchen next Monday. Our installers say it is NZ law that we have external taps. They say we cannot have stopcocks behind the machine as they must be accessible without pulling the machine out. Is this correct?

Sorry can't help on the 'legal' side of this but if the issue for you is that you don't want the taps in full view above the kitchen bench (and I wouldn't), can't they plumb it in from the existing kitchen taps like they would a dishwasher with the taps on the end of that hose, or at least have the external taps hidden away inside a cupboard next to it? They may well just be taking the "we'll do whatever is quickest and cheapest for us" approach!

I'd phone the council's building consents people and ask the question... but don't let on that you're about to do the work just in case they start on about having consents for new plumbing.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero

Yes it just means that you have to have them accessible, external doesn't mean outside, just in the cupboard next to the machine i,e, under the sink if you have it plumbed there where you can reach the taps with ease.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to have the washing machine in the kitchen?? Obviously there wasn't one there before, so presume it must have been somewhere else before?

You will find most NZ houses don't have the washer in the kitchen for a very good reason; it is a huge faux pas as far as Maori are concerned, because laundry absolutely should not be done where food is prepared. Does your house have a supertub (freestanding sink unit ) in the garage or somewhere else, because that's usually where the washing machine connectors and taps will be. Perfect for the job and I personally could never go back to having the washing machine in the kitchen ever again.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

did you bring a front loader over????

Top loaders aren't that bad.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie_nz

I prefer top loaders to front loaders, there is always sock or something that you want to put in after the machine has started and it is so easy with a top loader and I can get my big bed throws in! For me too I prefer it in the garage and could never go back to having it in the kitchen.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:47 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't your house have a utility room/laundry?

The only places I have seen with laundrys in the kitchen are in apartments or some 1960s bungalows where the laundry was next to the kitchen and it was easier to extend the kitchen and put the washing machine in a cupboard of sorts.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:37 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Not that bad???!!!!

Having just switched from top to front, the difference is fantastic. Plus we use 1/3 of the water, less powder, and less electrickery too.

Front loader every time

For the OP, sounds a bit odd to me. Our laundry tub in the garage has hot and cold washing machine taps, and the chappy just connected ours directly to that. No fuss, no bother.

Otherwise, you can buy new taps with a 'piggy back' washing machine feed on each, thay mean you can isolate the water to the machine whilst still using hot and cold. Ugly, but effective.

3rd option, (as I did on the dishwasher I installed myself) was to put in a T-junction in under the kitchen sink to both hot and cold sink feeds, then fit cut off taps to that. That means you have accessible cut offs, a working washing machine, and a nice visually tidy kitchen. If you want me to send over a pic of what I did, just let me know.

Good luck whichever way it goes

Last edited by Wiz'n'Ton; Aug 8th 2008 at 1:44 am.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 5:31 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ, biggest mistake not bringing my front loader with me. I bought a big top of the range top loader and hated it. The white stuff never looked clean and always used all my hot water. A couple of weeks ago I treated myself to a front loader and now the proud owner of clean white and nice smelling washing!!!! Yippppeeeeee You can tell Im easily pleased.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Not that bad???!!!!

Having just switched from top to front, the difference is fantastic. Plus we use 1/3 of the water, less powder, and less electrickery too.

Front loader every time

For the OP, sounds a bit odd to me. Our laundry tub in the garage has hot and cold washing machine taps, and the chappy just connected ours directly to that. No fuss, no bother.

Otherwise, you can buy new taps with a 'piggy back' washing machine feed on each, thay mean you can isolate the water to the machine whilst still using hot and cold. Ugly, but effective.

3rd option, (as I did on the dishwasher I installed myself) was to put in a T-junction in under the kitchen sink to both hot and cold sink feeds, then fit cut off taps to that. That means you have accessible cut offs, a working washing machine, and a nice visually tidy kitchen. If you want me to send over a pic of what I did, just let me know.

Good luck whichever way it goes
Thanks all - Wiz and Tom your idea sounds perfect and matches the solution we have found today. Sorted panic over :-)
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:18 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
I beg to differ, biggest mistake not bringing my front loader with me. I bought a big top of the range top loader and hated it. The white stuff never looked clean and always used all my hot water. A couple of weeks ago I treated myself to a front loader and now the proud owner of clean white and nice smelling washing!!!! Yippppeeeeee You can tell Im easily pleased.
Totally agree.

Had 2 hols in America with Top Loaders thought they were fantastic.

First thing I bought top of the range Top Loader, even recycles it's own water if you want.

BIG MISTAKE

White are now grey
Darks covered in fluff
Stains
My clean washing has never been so dirty.
Can't wait to get a front loader again.

Even in the UK I had my washing machine in the garage.

Pauline
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Must admit I've never found top loaders that bad, and the fact you can chuck stuff in 1/2 cycle is a bonus.

Then again I'm a boy so as long as things smell 'better' they must be clean