Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Various Bills Compared

Various Bills Compared

Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:55 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Various Bills Compared

what does that equate to over the year once you have taken off the tax?

Tax on annual income calculator (by tool name)

then do your sums
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

jogonpc is an unknown quantity at this point

55k a year and rent would take up 26k of that
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jogonpc
thanks everybody.
Having concerns with regards to the outgoings as the company are only offering $33-$35 per hour, which is similar to what i get in the UK, but we would have a considerable increase with the rent compared to our mortgage now.
It's never going to be easy living in Auckland with a young family on that kind of pay. Have you figured out how affordable it would be for you if you were to buy a place here?
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 8:11 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

was the 55 worked out on getting the lower hourly rate??
as Bo-Jangles says and I agree think that would be a struggle, but you could look to see if you could get some sort of benefit, but I do believe that depends on the type of visa (?)

also would you have any "spare" money once you have forked out all the costs to move?

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 23rd 2014 at 8:13 pm. Reason: added to
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
what does that equate to over the year once you have taken off the tax?

Tax on annual income calculator (by tool name)

then do your sums

I think this calculator is just PAYE and doesn't include ACC deduction.

Here's an easier one PAYE Calculator | PAYE.net.nz which does include ACC .

At the top end of the range at $35ph your gonna take home $56.8k
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 9:08 pm

think it is already calculated in the PAYE

"Income that you earn from personal effort is also liable for ACC earners' levy. If you earn salary or wages, the levy is deducted as part of your PAYE deductions each payday."
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
think it is already calculated in the PAYE

"Income that you earn from personal effort is also liable for ACC earners' levy. If you earn salary or wages, the levy is deducted as part of your PAYE deductions each payday."
It says is also liable - could be read both ways and is not very clear but need to also deduct 1.45% for ACC as it is not included in that calculation.

The rates are Income tax rates for individuals and ACC earners' levy rates (Find out about)
Old Oct 25th 2014, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

jogonpc is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks. i have with a heavy heart turned the offer down not only to pay, but the timescale they were looking at we would struggle to rent/sell our house in the UK and the relocation package was pretty poor.
We are not turning our back on new zealand, if anything made us more determined that is what we want in our future, just the timing was right this time.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 8:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

i am asthmatic, so would require inhalers.
my wife also has an underactive thyroid which needs ongoing medication.
My husband pays $3 for his thyroxine. Has blood test every 3 months = free from medlab. Must see the GP every few months , especially if the levels go wonky. $45 a visit.

thanks. i have with a heavy heart turned the offer down not only to pay, but the timescale they were looking at we would struggle to rent/sell our house in the UK and the relocation package was pretty poor.
We are not turning our back on new zealand, if anything made us more determined that is what we want in our future, just the timing was right this time.
Ah well. You must do what is sensible for you. Hopefully something far better will come along for you all.