Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

vacuum storage bags for shipping

vacuum storage bags for shipping

Old Aug 17th 2016, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light
Default vacuum storage bags for shipping

Ive been told by PSS not to pack our linens / duvets / pillows / anything into vacuum storage bags, this means four foofy duvet inners will take up masses of spaces, not to mention coats, winter clothing etc

Did anyone use vacuum bags and actually have a problem with mould / mildew?
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: vacuum storage bags for shipping

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
Ive been told by PSS not to pack our linens / duvets / pillows / anything into vacuum storage bags, this means four foofy duvet inners will take up masses of spaces, not to mention coats, winter clothing etc

hi we moved , in 07 to Tauranga, and with used vacuum bags and they were okay , just opened them up when we got there,
back in uk now done same coming back
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:50 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only guessing, but maybe the reason is, if they take them out to inspect them they won't be able to get them back in.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 9:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I'm only guessing, but maybe the reason is, if they take them out to inspect them they won't be able to get them back in.
That was my thought, but aside from that, I am sure that the risk of mold and mildew would be less if anything made from textiles was securely packed in vacuum bags.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 10:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oddly, the issue will likely be about sweating and mildew whilst in transit on the high seas in your packers opinion.

Your packers will pack in the most sensible & space saving way possible. They will also have special bags/boxes etc for packing your linen ( called Manchester here) bedding and clothes. I am assuming you have a container?

Have a mind for your chosen packers instructions with regard to the pack up for the 4/6 week journey. Read your insurance docs to check if you packing items yourself in this way will give a get out clause to your insurers.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 17th 2016 at 10:19 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 11:19 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

The issue is the temp change as the container crosses the equator. Ideally nothing should be packed in non-porous plastic unless it can survive being damp for several weeks (more if it needs to wait to be cross-docked in an equatorial port), that goes for soft furnishings as well as clothing and bedding.

If you really must then go nuts with silica gel sachets inside the bags and take the risk yourself, likely your packers and insurers wont - and most importantly make sure nothing is remotely damp going into the bags as any moisture will obviously be sealed in.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I think we had things like that packed into the drawers of our big mahogany chest? In the greater scheme of things they don't take up that much space as they squish!
Old Aug 18th 2016, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

We squished and rolled our duvets as tightly as possibly with bungy cords. In the grand scheme I doubt they will take up significantly less space if vacuum packed.

All our coats and clothes went into hanging wardrobe boxes and they are the best thing ever, as they simply lift all your clothes out of the wardrobe as they are and you then simply hang them back up in your new home in exactly the same way that they went in - not crushed and no hassle having to take them off and put them back onto hanger.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

Our belongings are going to be in storage for 6mths maybe 12mths and the duvets / pillows are pretty old anyhow so I'm thinking we'll just buy new ones for my parents house where we'll be for the next year!
Old Aug 18th 2016, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Our belongings are going to be in storage for 6mths maybe 12mths and the duvets / pillows are pretty old anyhow so I'm thinking we'll just buy new ones for my parents house where we'll be for the next year!
In which case Briscoes will be your best friend! Constant sales and huge bargains, check out their website.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

No absolutely not!! Our stuff arrived about 5 weeks ago and I packed all the bedding,towels and clothes in vacuum bags although I bought the good ones from dunelm mill and there wasn't any air left in them the best bit is they didn't smell of damp either just the fabric softener... we didn't use them the last time we brought stuff over and they were all smelling of damp. We used Crown relocations who actually said it was a very good space saving option!
Old Aug 20th 2016, 7:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There you go

From one shipper to another. They do not know.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 8:05 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

We have just moved back to the UK from NZ and I packed everything I could into vacuum bags. Shipping arrived last week and everything is in perfect shape. Saved me so much space. I vacuumed packed cushions, bulky dressing gowns, the lot.