Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

URGENT QUESTION re: Singapore Baggage Allowence

URGENT QUESTION re: Singapore Baggage Allowence

Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:37 pm
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light
Question URGENT QUESTION re: Singapore Baggage Allowence

Just packed the case it initially weighed in at 29kg then got it down to 25kg and now it's 22kg

what i'd like to know is how strict is SINGAPORE AIR on baggage allowence?

will they let it go or will they make me pay excess baggage :curse:

am flying friday hence the urgency of the question
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:10 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: URGENT QUESTION re: Singapore Baggage Allowence

Would you like us to come and wave you off bet its a really strange atmosphere in your house tonight. All the best tomorrow
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We were allowed 30kg each (for 3 people). We checked in with 121.5kg, plus buggy and child car seat. They didn't bat an eye at Heathrow, but the check-in girl at Changi asked her supervisor (after our stopover) who OK'd it. So no extra charge, but this was a couple of years ago. I would have thought you'd be OK.
Good luck with the move!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Just flown with BA through Singapore, probably does'nt help but I had 22.5kgs, checked the bag in at Edinburgh all the way through to Welly...

Have a look on their website maybe?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

We flew out with Singapore Airlines 16 months ago and the baggae allowance was 20kg. We emailed them and told them we were emigrating and requested a more generous allowance - it got raised to 40kg. I don't think they'd give you this if you didn't requst it before you flew however.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Our family of 3 flew out with Emirates and their allowance is 20kg, we were over the limit by 3-5kg, plus by the time we got to NZ we had more than the limit in hand luggage and they still let us through. Apparently they will let you on if your a little over but If the flight's full then they maybe a lot more strict weight as apparently it affects the plane!! I think I am not sure about Singapore, but I can't see it being any different.

Good luck with tomorrow
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:59 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

W tried before we flew, in April to get more outta Singapore, but no joy Really do think it's luck of the draw

Best of luck Mandie, Poppy and Connie for your flights. keep safe and see you soon.

Best of british to you too Rick, hope you don't have to wait too long for the house to sell

Love Kev, Sarah & kids xxx
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome
Just packed the case it initially weighed in at 29kg then got it down to 25kg and now it's 22kg

what i'd like to know is how strict is SINGAPORE AIR on baggage allowence?

will they let it go or will they make me pay excess baggage :curse:

am flying friday hence the urgency of the question
When we flew with Singapore Airlines they didn't give much attention to the baggage as long as it weighed less than 32 kgs, which is the limit for which baggage handlers can handle. If your coming over on a one way ticket, they normally expect you to have more in your case and I would expect them to turn a blind eye.

Happy travels!!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: URGENT QUESTION re: Singapore Baggage Allowence

I'd ditch the case and invest in a soft bag your suitcase will weigh about 6kg empty!
Cheers and have a fantastic flight!
Cheers
Cally
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

In our case, the allowance was 20kg, we had about 13 bags weighing well over 110 kg, so the answer is no (for us). The excess baggage would have cost 2000 pounds ! If you are a emigrant, and you inform them beforehand, i am very sure that you will get away with lots more weight !
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

We utilised every kg we could back in July and i think the NZ staff turned a blind eye to us being 7kgs over in total (i weighed everything numerous times) and actually put our weight a few Kgs under.

I worked out that we had over 212kgs with us and one to many pieces of hand luggage as i carried a Crash Helmet with me as well as a small rucksack.

Got plenty of looks in the Heathrow queues as we had three trolleys stacked with kit and a big wheeled golf bag but the staff at check in just said 'emigrating are you?'
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:21 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Got plenty of looks in the Heathrow queues as we had three trolleys stacked with kit and a big wheeled golf bag but the staff at check in just said 'emigrating are you?'
LMAO this made me larf!!!
we got looks of dread when people saw us with our 2 car seats and 6 suitcases, push chair, 2 laptops, 2 screaming kids, a pee'd off hubby and our rucksack.

that dread you feel when you think you might be stuck in the queue behind the 'one with all the bags!'

and when that passes - the dread you feel when you think you might get sat next to said screaming kids!!!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:44 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Soory to bring a downer on this, But when I came out with Singapore airlines, I had a case which weighed 31 kg I had already said contacted them to get limit raised, but got a really annal check-in guy. eventuly got it checked in with extra charge. Just a good job he didn't see my 2nd 'unoffical' hand lugguage (all 10kg's of it) that a freind was looking after for me whilst I checked in.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:23 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

I used to do the check in for Singapore Airlines a couple of years ago and still keep in contact with many of the Managers there. Officially your allowance is 20kg. They will allow you up to 25kg without charging you excess. If you go over that it is roughly £36 per kilo over the official allowance. If you contact reservations and explain that you are emigrating then they can allow you a total of 40kg each. Tell the reservations lady if she agrees, to make sure that a comment is in your PNR, which is the history of all transactions made with the airline, so that if they check at LHR, they will see what you have been allowed. That makes life a whole lot easier than telling them that you spoke to 'someone' and they said yes, if you have no proof...

Good luck with your flight and hopefully see you for coffee soon...