Reload this Page >

UK State Pension Entitlement for New NZ Citizen

UK State Pension Entitlement for New NZ Citizen

Old Apr 10th 2015, 5:49 am
Just Joined

johnlloyd27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK State Pension Entitlement for New NZ Citizen

Hi Guys

Just looking for some guidance on this and wondering if anyone can help.

I can't seem to find any clear information so far. I want to know if I give up my entitlement to a UK state pension if I become an NZ citizen. I paid UK Tax & NI contributions for approx 15-16 years before emigrating, also be interested to find out if anyone has experienced any other issues since becoming an NZ citizen that they didn't anticipate or appreciate etc?
Old Apr 10th 2015, 6:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State Pension Entitlement for New NZ Citizen

Originally Posted by johnlloyd27
Hi Guys

Just looking for some guidance on this and wondering if anyone can help.

I can't seem to find any clear information so far. I want to know if I give up my entitlement to a UK state pension if I become an NZ citizen. I paid UK Tax & NI contributions for approx 15-16 years before emigrating, also be interested to find out if anyone has experienced any other issues since becoming an NZ citizen that they didn't anticipate or appreciate etc?
Your UK pension is safe even if you become a NZ citizen.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 6:39 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

dependant on how long you have been living in NZ will depend if you will have to pay tax if you transfer over.
check out Moving to New Zealand permanently (Coming to New Zealand)
also here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...2015-a-856066/
Old Apr 10th 2015, 6:59 am
Just Joined

johnlloyd27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys much appreciated
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnlloyd27
You retain the rights to your UK State Pension, so it is not lost.

However when you reach retirement age you will be able to choose between either a UK State Pension or a NZ State Pension (called NZ Superannuation). There are a few advantages and disadvantages so make sure you have all the information before deciding, but it sounds like you have a number of years before having to make the decision.

By the way, if you return to the UK to live, then remember this vital piece of information: Time spent in NZ counts towards your 'years' of Pension contributions. So it is unlikely to be in your favor to 'buy more years' in the UK State Pension scheme.

State Pensions
State Pensions can not be transferred. However they can be ‘swapped’ for a NZ Government Superannuation payment. As NZ has a reciprocal agreement with the UK, NZ treats UK ex-pats as part of the family. NZ Superannuation can be claimed from age 65 providing you are a NZ Citizen or Permanent Resident.
The NZ Govt will collect the amount owed to you from your UK state pension to offset its own cost and pay you the full NZ amount which is around $300 p/w. This usually increases with inflation each year.
If you would prefer to receive your UK state pension, then you can. However the amount will be frozen from the date of the first payment and will not increase with inflation.

Work & Income have more information at this link
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by chc4me

By the way, if you return to the UK to live, then remember this vital piece of information: Time spent in NZ counts towards your 'years' of Pension contributions. So it is unlikely to be in your favor to 'buy more years' in the UK State Pension scheme.
Have I read that correctly please.

I have enough under the belt for a full UK state pension, however MrBEVS likely has not , him being younger than me.

So, would his NZ years of contributions count towards his UK state pension if we were to return?

State Pensions
State Pensions can not be transferred. However they can be ‘swapped’ for a NZ Government Superannuation payment. As NZ has a reciprocal agreement with the UK, NZ treats UK ex-pats as part of the family. NZ Superannuation can be claimed from age 65 providing you are a NZ Citizen or Permanent Resident.
The NZ Govt will collect the amount owed to you from your UK state pension to offset its own cost and pay you the full NZ amount which is around $300 p/w. This usually increases with inflation each year.
If you would prefer to receive your UK state pension, then you can. However the amount will be frozen from the date of the first payment and will not increase with inflation.

Work & Income have more information at this link
Not for me but for a possibly returnee pal of mine.

They spent 6.5 yrs in New Zealand. All over the age of 50. They returned to the UK but are thinking of ping ponging.

Would they be entitled to a fully NZ state pension given the reciprocal agreement between the two countries please?
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bev,

NZ and the UK have a Social Security Agreement which basically means that UK/NZ'ers are treated the same. You will have to decide whether you receive your full UK state pension OR swap it for a full NZ state Pension.

Mr Bev will qualify for a full NZ State Pension from age 65. Every UK ex-pat that is permanently resident in NZ is entitled to a full NZ state Pension on their 65th birthday.

You can only receive a state pension from one country, otherwise that would be 'double dipping'.

The Social Security Agreement states that time spent in NZ counts as years towards the National Insurance contribution, so it for those that return to the UK, this helps towards obtaining a Full State Pension. https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension...rking-overseas

NZ State Pensions are administered by Work and Income. Note, some people will say that you have to have lived in NZ for a certain number of years BUT this does NOT apply for UK-Expats.

In the UK, the International Pension Service are the go to peaople. They can be contacted at: [email protected]

Happy days!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thank you so much chc4me.

I'll let them know. I think their pings wish to pong back to NZ but they were worried for the NZ pension status.

For us, who knows where we will end up.