Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK Pension Transfers - update for 2015

UK Pension Transfers - update for 2015

Old Oct 17th 2016, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default Re: UK Pension Transfers - update for 2015

Originally Posted by chc4me
When talking about tax, we need to separate Tax Residency from Permanent Residency or right to live in NZ (ie Visa's).

Tax residency starts from the day you arrive, subject to (within a 12 month period) spending 183 days in NZ OR from the time that you acquire a place to live.

As an example, if you arrive for a holiday, maybe to scout out the country and check which city you might settle in; then you leave NZ and not return for a period of time, then you have not triggered the Tax Residency. However if you return to NZ and spend a total of 183 days out of the 365 days in a year (including the number of days you were on holiday in NZ) then tax residency starts from the day you first arrived in the country.

Part two: acquire a place to live. If you are here on a short stay and buy a house to live in for when you return live in NZ, then this could start the Tax Residency.

If you are unsure, best to check with an accountant.
I think that makes sense to me now...So, if someone arrives in April 2010 for a 3 week holiday than returns in October 2011 to reside then the October 2011 date is the start date for their 4 years exemption period? Have I got that right?
Old Oct 17th 2016, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reylan
I think that makes sense to me now...So, if someone arrives in April 2010 for a 3 week holiday than returns in October 2011 to reside then the October 2011 date is the start date for their 4 years exemption period? Have I got that right?
Spot on Reylan !!
Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chc4me
Spot on Reylan !!
chc4me - you are an absolute star! Thank you so much for, not only this explanation and reply, but for all the information you supply to us all on BE!

Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reylan
chc4me - you are an absolute star! Thank you so much for, not only this explanation and reply, but for all the information you supply to us all on BE!

No problem at all. I'm looking to update this post as there are a few NZ technical amendments, and we could see some UK tinkering in the 2017 budget.

Might wait until we here from the UK before updating it.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Did I see mention that there's some info on benefits or not of switching from U.K. State to NZ? What happens to all those NI contributions???

And what happens if I just leave all my little UK work pensions where they are?

Thanks