Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK to NZ - is it worth it???

UK to NZ - is it worth it???

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 11:55 am
Just Joined

kiwibird75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: UK to NZ - is it worth it???

Can I just say think long and hard about moving, I am moving out there in August with my children and my parents as my husband is already there and has been since March, since then our relationship has become quite strained due to the fact he can not get a job, he has served in the UK forces for near 28 years, which to me shows loyalty to a company but this is not enough over there they work very differently.

He has applied for many jobs since being there, jobs of which are well within his field of expertise and companies take many weeks before they reply back to you. He has been there since March and still no job, this is now taking its toll, and although my parents are ready to go and they have been sorting out their hse I have my doubts now, it has cost us a lot of money over the last year incl taking our dog home.

We only have a little dog but this is costing around £1400.00 this does not incl all vets bills and the quarantine the other end, all be it only 10 days.

I grew up in New Zealand so I am now a NZ Citizen and my Husband is a permanent resident so thought work finding would have been much easier than it is, I will tell you that this has certainly been one of the biggest heart aches for me as I am now in two minds to leave him there and just get on with my life here in the UK, don't be fooled that finding work is easy, the cost of living in NZ is 12% more than living in the UK, and depending on where you settle will ofcourse vary in house prices, you have to decide in what "quality of life" is better, financially?? or for the heat?

Please think long and hard as it is also a very expensive option to come back if it is not the right decision for you!
Good luck in your choices
Old May 7th 2015, 9:56 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NZ - is it worth it???

Investigative journalism will be a novel concept for Fairfax!
Old May 8th 2015, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Dazzapom is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it worth it? Absolutely not!

If you don't mind living in a third world country where you will be ripped off for absolutely everything, from milk to housing to cars to clothes.............the list goes on and on then go for your life.

Hamilton. I promise you, you will be bored to tears in a few weeks. People on here having really given you a truthful picture. It's an oversized village built on farming. There is nothing to do there and your only saving grace is that housing is "cheap" there. When I say cheap, I mean cheap for New Zealand but expensive for the rest of the world.

The salary of 60-80K per year just doesn't cut it due to the cost of living. Food is extortionate. Power obscene and petrol for your car is just a joke. I earn $130k per year and can't get ahead. But that is living in Auckland which is one of the most expensive cities in the world. I could get by in Hamilton on that.

Of course it is a beautiful country to visit but holidaying and living I can attest being two very different things.

Coming from Swansea I would imagine weather isn't high on your priority list :-) But whilst the temperatures are warmer than the UK, the homes here are not insulated by any means and you will freeze during the winter. Literally! You end up spending a few hundred dollars a month on terrible heating that runs out of the floors, walls and ceilings faster than a native kiwi to Brisbane

If you want lifestyle, good jobs and be rewarded for the work you do (you wont be here) find a job in Australia. The weather is sensational, the pay is about 40% higher and the cost of living slightly lower than here. Don't get me wrong, it's still expensive over there but you'll have a better lifestyle and money in your pocket to enjoy your lives.

Anyone that tells you Aussie is more expansive than NZ is lying. Take it from someone that knows. I have lived in the UK, NZ and Australia.

Good luck with it all. I wish you and your partner all the best. If you get up to Auckland, drop by and say Hi

D

PS. Forgot to mention the nepotism here is rife. You must network to get ahead in your career. Degrees, experience etc do not mean a thing. You gotta know someone that knows someone uncles brothers wife pet rabbit to get a job sometimes.

Last edited by Dazzapom; May 8th 2015 at 4:13 am.
Old May 8th 2015, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Marzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Dazzapom, begs the question. Why the heck are you still here then if it's such a lousy third world country, ripping you off.. and freezing cold in winter... in Auckland?

<snip>

Last edited by BEVS; May 8th 2015 at 10:48 pm. Reason: .. and I fixed it for you. Please read rule 1 . Thanks.
Old May 8th 2015, 5:17 am
Just Joined

Orange pony will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by niaharwood
It is something we've always wanted to do and the opportunity has come up so we are looking at the pros and cons.
Part of his employment in NZ requires him to move out there alone first with paid accommodation in the first few months - I suppose it is during this time that he will be able to work out NZ. Our plans are to rent our property in the UK as im aware we may decide to come home if NZ Is not what we expect.

The cost of living in Hamilton is similar to where we live now but I have noticed property prices are a lot higher!

I've never been to NZ before but heard all positive things. Obviously this may differ when I talk to residents !

Thanks for your info
Hi we moved to NZ from Devon 7 yrs ago we lived in the north shore for 2 yrs then near rangiora for 5 . Don't be fooled into thinking life is the same price over in NZ as Swansea . NZ is very expensive! Everything cost more here and the quality is generally poorer . NZ is great if you like scenery walking , fishing , hunting , not so good if you like shopping unless you have lots of savings, the wages are ok but housing is very different ! No Central heating just fires and mostly single glazed windows unless you get a new build . Don't get me wrong we don't regret the move and I totally remember that excitement but I would recommend a long visit first . It is a very long way from home and opportunities for travel here are not the same as in Europe . Good luck and make sure you visit first ! It is truly a beautiful place but life can be tough here ! No NHS GP visits expensive .
Old May 8th 2015, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marzie
Dazzapom, begs the question. Why the heck are you still here then if it's such a lousy third world country, ripping you off.. and freezing cold in winter... in Auckland?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Airport. Fixed it for you.
A lot of poms are still here because NZ has bankrupt us and we can't afford to go home , we AR not allowed to moan about NZ or we are whingers ! To be honest we all have a good laugh about the poor housing and cost of everything , fact is most kiwis think NZ is the best place on earth cos they've never lived anywhere else apart from maybe a quick o e to London . Rant over . Scenery is lovely 😃
Old May 8th 2015, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orange pony
A lot of poms are still here because NZ has bankrupt us and we can't afford to go home , we AR not allowed to moan about NZ or we are whingers ! To be honest we all have a good laugh about the poor housing and cost of everything , fact is most kiwis think NZ is the best place on earth cos they've never lived anywhere else apart from maybe a quick o e to London . Rant over . Scenery is lovely 😃
What did people expect when they moved? You know that Auckland is the only city to really make money, but expensive like any other city. New Zealand also has a small population and is far away from anywhere else, so it will always be more expensive. Visa aside, New Zealand is probably only great for people who don't need shopping malls, fancy restaurants etc. to be happy. If you like space/scenery and want a more simple life, it's probably a great place. A lot of people want to sit outside around a fire in the evening, grow their own fruit and veg, go fishing and enjoy empty beaches. Money is one thing, but you can change a heating system and insulate the way you like when you own a home or build from scratch, so it's down to the owner. I wouldn't say that Britain has the best housing standards either, especially compared to other European countries, but again it's your choice. I'd say the alternatives would be Wales, Scotland, NI, Rep of Ireland, because you have space/scenery, job opportunities, it's cheaper, not on the other side of the world and no visa required. Of course the weather is more like Southland (Invercargill/Dunedin), but if that doesn't bother you.............
Old May 8th 2015, 11:04 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegMac
Hi, we're in South Auckland. Its scary expensive here but I'm pretty sure the move is permanent. Husband wouldn't leave if you paid him, lol. I've struggled to adjust but I think that's because I have left behind such a wonderful community in Swansea,and I'm finding it a bit lonely here. People are lovely but it takes time to make new friends.

Despite my struggles here, my husband and kids are so happy here that I'm glad we made the move. Although I miss my daily view of the lighthouse and Mumbles head.
Board hopping again...I'm a Swansea girl too..... Like you I miss my wonderful friendships, and the coastline and that view of Mumbles from West Cross and Joes...

Last edited by Tirytory; May 8th 2015 at 11:09 am.
Old May 8th 2015, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
What did people expect when they moved? You know that Auckland is the only city to really make money, but expensive like any other city. New Zealand also has a small population and is far away from anywhere else, so it will always be more expensive. Visa aside, New Zealand is probably only great for people who don't need shopping malls, fancy restaurants etc. to be happy. If you like space/scenery and want a more simple life, it's probably a great place. A lot of people want to sit outside around a fire in the evening, grow their own fruit and veg, go fishing and enjoy empty beaches. Money is one thing, but you can change a heating system and insulate the way you like when you own a home or build from scratch, so it's down to the owner. I wouldn't say that Britain has the best housing standards either, especially compared to other European countries, but again it's your choice. I'd say the alternatives would be Wales, Scotland, NI, Rep of Ireland, because you have space/scenery, job opportunities, it's cheaper, not on the other side of the world and no visa required. Of course the weather is more like Southland (Invercargill/Dunedin), but if that doesn't bother you.............
Yes Moses agree with most of what you say . Scenery big gardens growing your own and keeping chooks . And fishing . That's why we are still here but it comes at a price . And most people cannot afford to build their own insulated home . We can't afford to double glaze ours the costs are astronomical ! But people need to know that the grass is not greener over here at all except for the weather that is definitely better . When you live in uk NZ is portrayed as a clean green country .... It is that in part but only because there are not enough people to totally destroy it but they drive up the river beds on the beaches and farming pollution is high . Smog in chch and ridiculous traffic in Auckland . In uk you will only meet people who came here on holiday and loved it . I would do just that . But come in winter and look at a house you could afford etc. to make an informed choice . There are a lot of English people who love this place but peel back the layers and most came from inner city uk ie Birmingham or industrial north . The people we knew from Dorset , Scotland and Devon all moved back .
Old May 8th 2015, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Board hopping again...I'm a Swansea girl too..... Like you I miss my wonderful friendships, and the coastline and that view of Mumbles from West Cross and Joes...
On a lighter note. If you are looking for life experience and an adventure then come ! That's why we did it and we have enjoyed the ride and made many wonderful friends . But couldn't imagine staying here forever . We are thinking of giving Canada a go for a few years ... But that's another forum !! Good luck
Old May 8th 2015, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

kiwibird75 is an unknown quantity at this point

On a lighter note. If you are looking for life experience and an adventure then come ! That's why we did it and we have enjoyed the ride and made many wonderful friends . But couldn't imagine staying here forever . We are thinking of giving Canada a go for a few years ... But that's another forum !! Good luck
people need to realise that I lived for 15-16 years in new zealand (taranKi) which is where I shall be returning back to, I am currently seeking how hard it is for my hubby to get a job and it appears that 28 years in one job serving your country is not important over there, but slowly he is getting there , and had a few interviews, I am sure I will walk into a job having lived there I have a few contacts and feel it will be a little easier for me.
Cost of living in taranaki don't seem to be as bad as we thought there are some things that appear to be cheaper there than here in the UK! I guess in life there are swings and roundabouts, we have to grab it by the horns cause if we don't do it we will spend our life wondering what if!!!!
And life is too short
Old May 8th 2015, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwibird75
I am currently seeking how hard it is for my hubby to get a job and it appears that 28 years in one job serving your country is not important over there,
Not if you have been serving another country, its pretty much irrelevant.
No one in NZ is indebted to anyone who has spent their working life serving anyone but NZ.

He's in the same boat as the rest of us. You have to look at the skills you can offer an employer, simple as that

Last edited by Justcol; May 8th 2015 at 10:23 pm.
Old May 8th 2015, 10:27 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Oh we chose Canada... New Zealand way too far for us and hubbie didn't fancy working in the healthcare system over there! I was just chiming in because of the Swansea reference!
Old May 8th 2015, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I was just chiming in because of the Swansea reference!

....and it is lovely to see you here TiryTory. I wish more folk would pop around BE to say Hi to others. It's good to share.
Old May 9th 2015, 4:32 am
Just Joined

Oh we chose Canada... New Zealand way too far for us and hubbie didn't fancy working in the healthcare system over there! I was just chiming in because of the Swansea reference!
Hi where about a in Canada do you live ? And how do you find it , if you don't mind me asking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.