Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK to NZ - is it worth it???

UK to NZ - is it worth it???

Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:20 am
Just Joined

niaharwood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to NZ - is it worth it???

Originally Posted by janiejones
There's no Joes Ice Cream in Hamilton ;-)
Hahahaha!! In that case, we are staying put!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Jack, so Joe's is the first place I visit when we have trips back. There's good ice cream here, but it's just not Joes!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by janiejones
I'm a Jack, so Joe's is the first place I visit when we have trips back. There's good ice cream here, but it's just not Joes!
Ahhhhhh do you mind sharing your experience??
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Morning from the other side of the world niaharwood.

I had a bit of a thought about you whilst drinking my first cup of tea of the day.

I think you should contact Fairfax and try to start a bit of dialogue about what your opportunities might be with regard to journalism in NZ.

Nothing ventured and all that...........
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Morning from the other side of the world niaharwood.

I had a bit of a thought about you whilst drinking my first cup of tea of the day.

I think you should contact Fairfax and try to start a bit of dialogue about what your opportunities might be with regard to journalism in NZ.

Nothing ventured and all that...........
Good evening from over here

That is very thoughtful of you - I will look into it now

Thank you !
Old Apr 6th 2015, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

MegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura about

We moved over from Swansea 6 months ago. It's been a huge change for us, hubby and kids love it here and it's beginning to grow on me.

We are also renting out our house in Swansea, just in case it all goes horribly wrong, we still have a place to go back to.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MegMac
We moved over from Swansea 6 months ago. It's been a huge change for us, hubby and kids love it here and it's beginning to grow on me.

We are also renting out our house in Swansea, just in case it all goes horribly wrong, we still have a place to go back to.
Ahh cool! What do you think of it? What part of Nz Are you living in? I really want to do it for the life experience and will do the same as you - rent our house here just incase!!
Old Apr 6th 2015, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niaharwood
Ahh cool! What do you think of it? What part of Nz Are you living in? I really want to do it for the life experience and will do the same as you - rent our house here just incase!!
Hi,
I just wanted to add that remember it is a massive move and if you make it and decide its not for you it isn't a failure and don't be afraid to say it.
Sometimes people spend so long trying to convince themselves that everythings brilliant because the other option is returning. See it as an adventure and see how you get on.
Good luck
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,
I just wanted to add that remember it is a massive move and if you make it and decide its not for you it isn't a failure and don't be afraid to say it.
Sometimes people spend so long trying to convince themselves that everythings brilliant because the other option is returning. See it as an adventure and see how you get on.
Good luck
Totally agree we only live once and I'm here to make the most of it! All life experience thank you
Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

MegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura about

Hi, we're in South Auckland. Its scary expensive here but I'm pretty sure the move is permanent. Husband wouldn't leave if you paid him, lol. I've struggled to adjust but I think that's because I have left behind such a wonderful community in Swansea,and I'm finding it a bit lonely here. People are lovely but it takes time to make new friends.

Despite my struggles here, my husband and kids are so happy here that I'm glad we made the move. Although I miss my daily view of the lighthouse and Mumbles head.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we're in South Auckland. Its scary expensive here but I'm pretty sure the move is permanent. Husband wouldn't leave if you paid him, lol. I've struggled to adjust but I think that's because I have left behind such a wonderful community in Swansea,and I'm finding it a bit lonely here. People are lovely but it takes time to make new friends.

Despite my struggles here, my husband and kids are so happy here that I'm glad we made the move. Although I miss my daily view of the lighthouse and Mumbles head.
Mumbles head is a great place and the walk along the prom would certainly be something to miss. Who knows, even your husband might want to return sooner or later.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Ahhh you lived in a really nice place in Swansea then no wonder you're missing it badly!! I've been talking to a few people lately who've travelled and all have said not to be afraid to venture to NZ as Swansea will always be Swansea and not much changes. So if you do ever decide to come home, you will settle back in really quickly - which is a nice thought

Have you found work yourself out there?
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Ahhh you lived in a really nice place in Swansea then no wonder you're missing it badly!! I've been talking to a few people lately who've travelled and all have said not to be afraid to venture to NZ as Swansea will always be Swansea and not much changes. So if you do ever decide to come home, you will settle back in really quickly - which is a nice thought

Have you found work yourself out there?
Hi.
I'm a stay at home mom, so I don't think that has helped. Whereas hubby and kids go out everyday and talk to people, I'm stuck at home. But its beginning to get better. I'm volunteering for absolutely everything so that helps with getting to know people.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

sghall is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We moved over here to Hamilton 6 months ago, we had never been to NZ before, we sold up and moved over with our two boys. We don't regret it so far. My hubby is a diesel mechanic but he got a job with VTNZ. Cost of living is higher but in comparison to what we had in the UK we have a better lifestyle, we are no worse off financially, we both work tho. Food shopping is expensive and rent is higher but our day to day living is much the same.
Just do your research, think about what u want from it, it's definatly tough at times but u get thru it. Life is for living and if u think u want to give it a go, it's only money uve spent to get here and u can always go home if it's not for u!
Feel free to pm me if u want any more info!
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Been here 8 months and also in Auckland with wife and 2 kids. Mostly been great but yo have doubts every now and again. Cost of living is the only big downer for me - we just don't have the disposable cash like back in UK. For example, I broke my mountain bike and at home I'd have it replaced within a week. Over here, I'm looking second hand etc.

But fek it. So much good stuff. I love rugby and I love the outdoors so where better in the world eh? So much to do compared to Belfast for the kids and wife has met some nice people. It is hard to make proper friends at this age and that will take time and effort but for now I'm enjoying the adventure with my family and hopefully the friend thing will come with time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.