Reload this Page >

UK to NZ post-retirement emigration QQs

UK to NZ post-retirement emigration QQs

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:15 am
Just Joined

millie-honaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to NZ post-retirement emigration QQs

Hello to all NZ Posters
I'm making enquiries on behalf of someone who is interested in moving to NZ even though he is retired (67 now). He was a Chief Engineer for many years then was in charge of a number of refit & maintenance docks.

I know immigration rules are tighter these days in many countries so what are his best options for NZ, particularly the North Island?

If he has to go the 'worker' route are there part time openings for a skilled engineer at small ports or marinas? He likes to keep busy too, grows his own veggies, and enjoys fishing!

Looking forward to your many replies !
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NZ post-retirement emigration QQs

Originally Posted by millie-honaire
Hello to all NZ Posters
I'm making enquiries on behalf of someone who is interested in moving to NZ even though he is retired (67 now). He was a Chief Engineer for many years then was in charge of a number of refit & maintenance docks.

I know immigration rules are tighter these days in many countries so what are his best options for NZ, particularly the North Island?

If he has to go the 'worker' route are there part time openings for a skilled engineer at small ports or marinas? He likes to keep busy too, grows his own veggies, and enjoys fishing!

Looking forward to your many replies !
The working / skilled migrant would be a no-go due to age.

The only route I can think is the retirement investor category:

Temporary Retirement Category
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 7:14 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes sorry there is a maximum age which I believe is 55 so as Bo-Jangles says it would be retirement category

The Temporary Retirement Category creates a two year visa for people who want to spend some of their retirement in New Zealand, provided they invest here and indemnify the government against possible health and welfare costs. Temporary Retirees will need to invest $750,000 over the two year term of their visa. Temporary Retirees will be able to renew their visas as long as they continue to meet criteria including investment funds, income and health insurance.

taken from: Retirement visas - Immigration NZ Knowledgebase
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

millie-honaire is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the speedy replies, 'though we don't like what this means

Would having a younger, working relative there help in any way? There's a lot of interest in NZ from other family members.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:02 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millie-honaire
Thanks for the speedy replies, 'though we don't like what this means

Would having a younger, working relative there help in any way? There's a lot of interest in NZ from other family members.
Only if the NZ resident or citizen was one of his children, they could sponsor him for residence under the Parent category or the Parent Retirement Category.Family categories

Obviously he would be wanting residence if he wants to retire in NZ. The WTR and Skilled Migrant Categories are out due to age. Just leaves investment or partnership, there is no easy answer
Work visas are temporary, he would need a job first but then there is no route to residency and no security.
There is this if he has $10m to invest: Migrant Investment Instructions
Or he meets an eligible NZer, lives with them for a year and then applies for residence under partnership...

Sorry, the options are very limited but have a look round the NZ immi site I linked to above and see if there's anything I've missed