Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK driving licence

UK driving licence

Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:58 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving licence

Sparkie - thanks. I figured it was something along those lines of getting to keep, use or benefit from something which you now wouldn't be entitled to.

Closest I could think of was grandfather rights in the US when the government tied in funding highways for those states which had a minimum drinking age of 18. Some states allowed those who could already drink legally (eg at 18) to continue to be allowed to drink.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving licence

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Oh yes there is :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022088

particularly the bits that says:

"You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both."

and

"Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence."
This is bloody stupid. When I left I phoned the DVLA and told them I was going abroad but they said that I couldn't register the license to an overseas address. They also said the address registered on my license must be my permanent address. So I did nothing. The new owner of our house just sent me an email that said that I would be fined £1000 if I didn't renew my license by the due date. Go figure! Having read about the guy in the UK who was fined £60 and had 3 penalty points for moving through a red light to let a police van through I bet they would fine me as well. It's a police state over there now.