Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
The main (only?) reason they aren't going is because the 13 year old couldn't face leaving her father (2nd family for the 'mother'), her mother wouldn't leave her behind and so won't put her in the situation where she needs to choose between her two parents. Very admirable. The 13 year old was a real credit to her parents and herself too I thought. I don't think it was for a free holiday. As the Dad summarised, it would be a great move for the long term but with some serious short term costs, namely for their eldest child. A bit sad. I really felt for them as they were such a positive down to Earth family.
Dunedin looked fantastic.
A good friend of mine has just gone back to Dunedin for good, it is a nice place.
We are in the same situation with a 13yr old who has here dad here too. He is Quite sensible and can see the bigger picture for our girl. My otherhalf said she would not go too if she thought the girl did not really want to leave her father too. We are all looking forward to us going out for two weeks in March, me to job hunt and them to satisfy themselves. Im positive we will all be impressed with what we see. We are very aware of the culture,wages, cost of living etc so it will be just the trip to decide for us.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Mandi & Rick. (MandyH?)

The poster above seemed to think the family were split. I believe they decided to move to NZ some time ago and then Rick got cold feet hence their application to the Wanted Down Under Show where she was hoping he would change his mind. As far as I know the outcome is that they are all going.

Couple of things worth pointing out is that this particular family said that an emotional moment from one of the girls who was upset at the cameramen was portrayed as her being upset at the potential move. Additionally the families on the programme do not get to see the edited version before it appears on TV. So I suspect there will be an element of poetic licence to this series, albeit one that I guess they were (kind of) made aware of.

Good to watch. I find it all a bit emotional though. The family today were very emotioally together, but I felt my eyes glaze over several times.
Yeah I thought they were split.......did you mean me as the other poster???

We had an interview too but I think maybe the fact we was all up for it made them realise we didn't need the trip I suppose.

Cheers for reminding me of who it was.

Go Mandie H
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:54 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys,
I watched it this morning. I haven`t been to the South Island yet but Dunedin looked nice. I think it get`s colder down there in winter so we would be looking to spend more time further North. The family today were very positive but as has been said, the thirteen year old girl was never going to leave her own dad in Scotland and her mum realised this.
thanks to the poster who told us when the NZ programmes would be on this Friday and next week.
A Happy New Year to all. Our Wellington son is on his way back from being here in Yorkshire with us for a time at Christmas.
Pat.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:35 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light

Think it may have been me, but I was only copying what the programme synopsis said word for word. Wasnt my opinion and I am sorry if its annoyed anyone
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:17 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wimpy
Think it may have been me, but I was only copying what the programme synopsis said word for word. Wasnt my opinion and I am sorry if its annoyed anyone

Noooooooo, it hasn't.

I was responding to Kato, but did think it interesting that the synopsis (& thus possibly programme itself) has mentioned the split view about moving to NZ. As Kato then hinted at, I suppose this makes for better TV and may have played a part in selecting couples? I have noticed there is often an element that stops the migration being straightforward, usually involving the need to separate wider families across the globe, which to its credit makes it more realistic as well as adding some (emotional) drama for the viewers.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

thegl is a jewel in the roughthegl is a jewel in the roughthegl is a jewel in the roughthegl is a jewel in the rough

This is the kind of thing I currently love to hear... is the miserable month of January in the UK (as you will know) and I'm currently on maternity leave with a four week old. I have sleep deprivation and overall too much time to think about whether we are doing the right thing.... more posts like this will do me the world of good

By the way... don't get me wrong, a four week old baby keeps me busy but I find that I'm constantly thinking about NZ and our decision to go whilst feeding and changing nappies...which is generally what I currently do all day
TAN0410 - you sound just like me! I too am on maternity leave and can totally relate to your thought processes regarding NZ (and also the sleep deprivation!) We have our medicals looming soon..but keep thinking am I crazy to want to uproot young family and go so far...but then keep reminding myself of the positives.

I too saw 'Wanted Down Under' this morning. Agree that it did paint a picture postcard image of NZ - but anyone serious about making the move will know from research that there are pros and cons when pursuing a new life in NZ.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wimpy
Just planned the SKY+ for the remainder of the series.

Thursday is centred on Australia

Friday is New Zealand ( The Hayward family from Hampshire are split, Mum and younger daughter want to emigrate to NZ. Dad and older dont)

Monday is New Zealand ( Vet Matt Turner is looking for a better work/life balance, but would a future in NZ offer him what he dreams of )

Tuesday and Wednesday are Australia again.

Cant scan any further than that ......sorry
Hi - does anyone know which part of NZ the vet is looking at?

Alison
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:47 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all, found this

http://uk-tv-guide.com/show-times/58...r/Documentary/

hope it helps
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:58 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

TAN0410 - you sound just like me! I too am on maternity leave and can totally relate to your thought processes regarding NZ (and also the sleep deprivation!) We have our medicals looming soon..but keep thinking am I crazy to want to uproot young family and go so far...but then keep reminding myself of the positives.

I too saw 'Wanted Down Under' this morning. Agree that it did paint a picture postcard image of NZ - but anyone serious about making the move will know from research that there are pros and cons when pursuing a new life in NZ.
OMG a fellow sufferer...how great (if you know what I mean). Do love the little mites though

Medicals on the 18th here!

Saw your PM and will reply later. Currently 4am and the little fella is giving me grief

Tan
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:26 am
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

I thought it looked great in particular the house they were staying in with the 50s decor and outside toilet all for 300 bucks per week

Reminded me of how great it is to be back in the Uk

K9s
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:57 am
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by K9s
I thought it looked great in particular the house they were staying in with the 50s decor and outside toilet all for 300 bucks per week

Reminded me of how great it is to be back in the Uk

K9s
What they didn't show was that the family checked themselves into a hotel that night as the rental was a bit too basic for them and lacked a bit too much of the mod cons
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:05 am
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, so it's me and my families turn in the spotlight tomorrow (Friday 4th), should be interesting to see if their editing puts us in a good light or makes us look like a bunch of knobs!!!

my youngest did get upset one day cos the camera man was always in her face with the camera, eldest asked him to stop but he just carried on...he asked if it was because of their dad that she was upset (would make a good story for editing if it was) but it was because of him...wonder it that'll be twisted for good tv moment.

we were fully aware that we'd be 'selling ourselves to the devil' for the week of filming and we handled it well. the girls on the whole found it fine but the camera man got on their nerves so that spoilt it a bit for them...the sound person was brilliant though and we had a fantastic laugh with her...her and connie after a visit to the fudge factory was hilarious...they went high on sugar and went mental!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:07 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleal
Hi - does anyone know which part of NZ the vet is looking at?

Alison

Auckland. May be a good episode. The synopsis mentions their week's trial throwing up more dilemnas than they expected!

Napier is the destination on Jan 14th.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Hi ya it's on Christchurch tomorrow and it's on one of the forum members do you want me to record it and send you it on DVD??

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Cool! Anyone able to capture it and stick it up on You Tube or somesuch so we can check it out on line...? (he asks, somewhat hopefully).

Will let the sis-in-law know as they'll be wanting to see it.

Cheers for the heads up.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome
What they didn't show was that the family checked themselves into a hotel that night as the rental was a bit too basic for them and lacked a bit too much of the mod cons
Hi Mandy,

Watching it now (bit bizarre) and you all come across great. What a lovely family. Will you adopt me (I'm 37and a half)?

So? Are you going? Have you a date?

And can i just ask - why did the first family draw the short straw with the holiday accomodation ??! How to put someone off a country - 'basic' was not the word I would use! I hope the BBC paid for their hotel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.