Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Trying to change teaching jobs

Trying to change teaching jobs

Old Dec 21st 2013, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to change teaching jobs

Originally Posted by M_and_M
No luck Didn't get the job. It seems my lack of time in the NZ system is against me, regardless of experience and leadership skills.

I have been offered a demotion in effect, but in a different school to the one I am in now.

If I stay where I am I will get a pay cut at the end of Jan anyway as they are taking my management units off me, or should I say, not renewing them.

I haven't had a non management position in a school for a very very long time. The job I have been offered is just a basic classroom teacher.

I don't know what to do.

Will it be to my advantage or disadvantage to take a demotion from senior teacher but gain mainstream classroom experience?
Hmm, tough one. But look back to what you said about being unhappy in your job. Can you survive on less money? Will the new school be a better place to work and would you be happy being 'just a basic classroom teacher' (that's all I am!)
When looking for jobs for next year I looked at my most local Primary where there were 5 jobs going, and boy could I do with a permanent one - but I was advised against it by everyone I met as the school is not a good place to be right now, lots of back stabbing going on etc etc.
Basically, you have to decide if you'd be happier elsewhere for a while. You can sell it to employers later as you taking the plunge back in to classroom teaching so that you could get a good understanding of NZ teaching, schools, curriculum and so on. Make it work for you and make it sound good!
Tough one but could be worth it. Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy the holidays
Old Dec 21st 2013, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

No luck Didn't get the job. It seems my lack of time in the NZ system is against me, regardless of experience and leadership skills.

I have been offered a demotion in effect, but in a different school to the one I am in now.

If I stay where I am I will get a pay cut at the end of Jan anyway as they are taking my management units off me, or should I say, not renewing them.

I haven't had a non management position in a school for a very very long time. The job I have been offered is just a basic classroom teacher.

I don't know what to do.

Will it be to my advantage or disadvantage to take a demotion from senior teacher but gain mainstream classroom experience?
Crikey M and M, I'm afraid that would be a deal breaker for me. You've got years of experience in teaching and it's not recognised, that's just not good enough NZ.
Unfortunately I've come across this a few times. A great research scientist I know from the UK came to NZ and really has had a tough time. The job has totally changed from the job she applied and signed up for, and the support for her own research has now been withdrawn, and anything she does from here on in will be claimed by them. She is so down at the moment having moved herself and her whole family here with the promise of them getting behind her research, it's just not cricket. I really hope this all works out for you, I know for me my backside would be outta here. There are some things that would just break the deal of living here for me, and that would be one of them. Good Luck, you don't need this after all you've been through this year.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsinnz
Crikey M and M, I'm afraid that would be a deal breaker for me. You've got years of experience in teaching and it's not recognised, that's just not good enough NZ.
Unfortunately I've come across this a few times. A great research scientist I know from the UK came to NZ and really has had a tough time. The job has totally changed from the job she applied and signed up for, and the support for her own research has now been withdrawn, and anything she does from here on in will be claimed by them. She is so down at the moment having moved herself and her whole family here with the promise of them getting behind her research, it's just not cricket. I really hope this all works out for you, I know for me my backside would be outta here. There are some things that would just break the deal of living here for me, and that would be one of them. Good Luck, you don't need this after all you've been through this year.
Not sure I agree. Yes M has years of experience in teaching but it's not in NZ teaching. I came here thinking all kids the world over were the same and I could just carry on my teaching career (I've been a Primary school teacher for 27 years)as if I'd just swapped classes in the UK. But it is different, the children are different, their needs are different, the curriculum is different. We wouldn't expect to walk into any other school in the world and be placed at the same level. This is not the UK. Why should they just accept our UK teaching experience?
I totally feel for M, it's a horrible situation to be in, been there before. But showing you can adapt and are willing to learn surely will count for something?
Old Dec 21st 2013, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Pants! That sucks honey

I understand your frustration, I've had experience of it in healthcare. I think j19fmm raises some good points to assist you in evaluating where to go from here.

Wish I could offer you some tangible help.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Not sure I agree. Yes M has years of experience in teaching but it's not in NZ teaching. I came here thinking all kids the world over were the same and I could just carry on my teaching career (I've been a Primary school teacher for 27 years)as if I'd just swapped classes in the UK. But it is different, the children are different, their needs are different, the curriculum is different. We wouldn't expect to walk into any other school in the world and be placed at the same level. This is not the UK. Why should they just accept our UK teaching experience?
I totally feel for M, it's a horrible situation to be in, been there before. But showing you can adapt and are willing to learn surely will count for something?
I agree with you to a point. This isn't the UK absolutely, that is a given, but what I'm trying to say is that if I found myself in the position, after years of hard slog and reputation building of having to prove myself all over again, then that would be a deal breaker for me. This will probably be contentious but I believe that the UK is still a meritocracy, in many career arenas, here it largely isn't. I love NZ, but if I found myself in M and Ms position I would leave the school, possibly even leave NZ if I found the same problems thrown into my path. Some things can be earned again if you have the time, patience and energy, and more importantly if NZ is the place you will call home for many years, but years of experience and reputation are too precious and hard won to be thrown away. Not everything in life is worth the price other people want you to pay.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsinnz
This will probably be contentious but I believe that the UK is still a meritocracy, in many career arenas, here it largely isn't.
Not contentious with me. I'm a Kiwi... and know how it works, especially outside of the main centres like Wellington and Auckland. In many situations, for a slew of silly reasons, you look after your mates or your mate's mates first. That's just the way it sometimes is. This is why I occasionally question, for some people in certain circumstances, whether New Zealand truly is a land of opportunity.

M_and_M: I'm really sorry to hear your news. Perhaps moving 'downwards' or sideways for a year or two might be better for the long run if you intend to stay in New Zealand for the long haul i.e. 10-20 years... and perhaps make some longer-term plans to move elsewhere in the country. Invercargill is about the same size as Keighley or Brentwood, in one of the most sparsely populated areas of the country.

All things being equal, if I knew I'd have to find work and couldn't afford to live in Wellington or Auckland, I'd rather live somewhere like Masterton or the Wairarapa, Hastings or Gisborne or Palmy, than Invercargill. Before she had kids, my mother taught in a series of remote provincial schools in the North Island before eventually moving to Wellington and becoming a head teacher. Perhaps that's the kind of path you may have to take.

All the best.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Engel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really nice

I guess I had the other end of the experience. Once I had my teacher registration I got 3 skype interview in two weeks. It was so fast I was not prepared for the first two, but got the third. I am now half-way through a one year contract and my agent thinks there will be no trouble finding more work if I am willing to work in Auckland. I teach Maths, so I know it is not the same, but maybe you should change agent if they are not getting you work. I'm with education pesonnel. Good luck.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys thanks for the advice. It's a difficult balance.

I didn't expect New Zealand to be the land of opportunity, I moved here for very different reasons. Lots of political ones and many lifestyle ones. The house we bought is not perfect but we wanted a project, we are loving the space, land and countryside. The other things on the house we can fix up over time.

The job - I have no high flying aspirations. I once did but hell, life is too short to be eating sleeping and working with nothing else in between. Anyone who knows how my 2013 has been will understand that comment.

I have decided to move down a step, but back into the mainstream classroom. I will consider the next year as a year of gaining brownie points and experience and can only hope my new boss is as lovely and supportive as she seems to be from the few times I have spoken to her to date.

I am taking a pay cut, but was facing one anyway, had I stayed where I was.

I don't have an agent and didnt want to live in highly populated areas. I could do that and stay in the UK.

Life is what you make of it.

I intend to live it to the full. Hopefully still here in NZ.

Some say 'why don't you go back'. Country hopping isn't as simple as some may think. I am not flush with cash and a reverse decision would cost as many mega bucks as coming in the first place. I simply don't have that at the moment.

Like I say, life is what you make it.

Opportunities lie everywhere, if you look for them closely enough.

Last edited by M_and_M; Dec 23rd 2013 at 6:12 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Gill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to beholdGill84 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I'm 29 and from Scotland. I taught in Scotland for my first 2 years, then 3 years in Dubai and 2 years in Hong Kong. I met a kiwi boy and moved to Taranaki with him on a 1 year partnership visa in July this year. During the first 2 weeks I was in the country, I personally went round about 10 local primary schools with my Cv and cover letter and met with about 5 principals. From this, I managed to get relief work in 4 different primary schools. I also used every single 'social' opportunity to meet with other teachers and principals...drinks down the rugby club after the match, fundraising events at the local surf club, friends of friends house parties, etc...I literally nagged everyone that I met or became friends with if they knew any teachers, and made them introduce me!! Within a month of arriving in New Zealand, I had almost full-time relief work, with most of it being in 1 school. I'm really happy to say that the school has now offered me a 1 year contract with my own class, starting after Christmas! It is about 'who you know' to some extent....so my suggestion is get yourself out there and get to know people! (People who know teachers!) I also went the extra mile when doing my relief work...properly marking all the work, making displays and staying behind to put them up, offering to come into school on my days off to help where required, planning and delivering 'good' lessons and not just 'time-fillers', making an effort to get to know the teachers in a social sense....I'm told that the fact I 'went the extra mile' from the beginning, helped me too. Maybe Taranaki is also 'the place to be' too!! Good luck!
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I did all that. I am very good at networking and when applying I met every principal in person.

Every single job I applied for was given to an incumbent. I can't compete with that no matter how much networking I do.

Luckily, my new employment is permanent so I can keep looking anyway, but with security.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello M_and_M,

It’s great that you got a permanent job even if it’s not in the position you were aiming for. Looking on the bright side, it sounds like you have a good boss, and you can keep an eye open for the type of role you’re looking for. Who knows, maybe something will open up were you are. Hopefully 2014 has some nice surprises on the work front in store for you. Happy Christmas.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:54 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I did all that. I am very good at networking and when applying I met every principal in person.

Every single job I applied for was given to an incumbent. I can't compete with that no matter how much networking I do.

Luckily, my new employment is permanent so I can keep looking anyway, but with security.
that's great news. You now have a permanent job. You have the right attitude to life and I'm sure you will be a success whatever you decide. I admire your courage. Now relax and have a great Christmas.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi guys thanks for the advice. It's a difficult balance.

I didn't expect New Zealand to be the land of opportunity, I moved here for very different reasons. Lots of political ones and many lifestyle ones. The house we bought is not perfect but we wanted a project, we are loving the space, land and countryside. The other things on the house we can fix up over time.

The job - I have no high flying aspirations. I once did but hell, life is too short to be eating sleeping and working with nothing else in between. Anyone who knows how my 2013 has been will understand that comment.

I have decided to move down a step, but back into the mainstream classroom. I will consider the next year as a year of gaining brownie points and experience and can only hope my new boss is as lovely and supportive as she seems to be from the few times I have spoken to her to date.

I am taking a pay cut, but was facing one anyway, had I stayed where I was.

I don't have an agent and didnt want to live in highly populated areas. I could do that and stay in the UK.

Life is what you make of it.

I intend to live it to the full. Hopefully still here in NZ.

Some say 'why don't you go back'. Country hopping isn't as simple as some may think. I am not flush with cash and a reverse decision would cost as many mega bucks as coming in the first place. I simply don't have that at the moment.

Like I say, life is what you make it.

Opportunities lie everywhere, if you look for them closely enough.
Good on you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and I really hope they appreciate what you've done. Good luck in your new job x