Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Trip to NZ, winter of 2016/2017

Trip to NZ, winter of 2016/2017

Old Jan 28th 2015, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to NZ, winter of 2016/2017

Originally Posted by AJLivingstone
Ahh I completely understand it now, I could do that, just depends on my girlfriend if she were to still be with me at that time. It'd be 3 years when I even consider that and if so 23 months apart, would be a test.

What would be the best way to go look for f/t work, would it be going in to engineering companies and speaking to people, or would it be like job centres?
A recommendation here, register on linked in and search through engineering companies that way

One difference between the job markets in the countries are that it's a case of who you know. If you obtain a good linked in relationship with people here, it'll stand you in good steps.

Also, look on the accredited employer section of immigration New Zealand. That'll give you an idea of what companies can hire foreign migrants legally, enabling you to obtain a work visa.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

AJLivingstone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tom H
A recommendation here, register on linked in and search through engineering companies that way

One difference between the job markets in the countries are that it's a case of who you know. If you obtain a good linked in relationship with people here, it'll stand you in good steps.

Also, look on the accredited employer section of immigration New Zealand. That'll give you an idea of what companies can hire foreign migrants legally, enabling you to obtain a work visa.
So linked in is a great way to obtain connections with companies in new zealand? Would it be a way of me to contact managers/owners/employees, and chat with them. How approachable are people on linkedin as i've never used it
Old Jan 28th 2015, 7:46 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Im biased too I love canterbury
Old Jan 28th 2015, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJLivingstone
So linked in is a great way to obtain connections with companies in new zealand? Would it be a way of me to contact managers/owners/employees, and chat with them. How approachable are people on linkedin as i've never used it
Linked in is a great way to sell yourself. You create your own profile and then you can search other peoples and connect with them. Your name then gets known to the community.

To message and get in touch with people, you have to pay x amount per month. I don't know how much it is in the UK so I can't help with that. When you send off an application, you may be asked if you have a linked in profile so that prospective employers can take a look at you, your background etc.

I cannot give you an answer on how easily people are to approach. I suppose you'd have to make the first point of contact and hope. My experience, I've had people make the first move and ask about jobs or whether I'm interested in helping out. For example, I am linked in buddies with the system manager of Sports Interactive. I've got a job on the football manager games in the event of me returning to the UK.

By the way, I see you are looking at Auckland or Wellington. I travel to Auckland every Wednesday and if I had a million dollars, I'd be living there in an instant. It's a fantastic city to visit, living there is different but you may get an understanding when you visit.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 9:42 am
Just Joined

AJLivingstone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tom H
Linked in is a great way to sell yourself. You create your own profile and then you can search other peoples and connect with them. Your name then gets known to the community.

To message and get in touch with people, you have to pay x amount per month. I don't know how much it is in the UK so I can't help with that. When you send off an application, you may be asked if you have a linked in profile so that prospective employers can take a look at you, your background etc.

I cannot give you an answer on how easily people are to approach. I suppose you'd have to make the first point of contact and hope. My experience, I've had people make the first move and ask about jobs or whether I'm interested in helping out. For example, I am linked in buddies with the system manager of Sports Interactive. I've got a job on the football manager games in the event of me returning to the UK.

By the way, I see you are looking at Auckland or Wellington. I travel to Auckland every Wednesday and if I had a million dollars, I'd be living there in an instant. It's a fantastic city to visit, living there is different but you may get an understanding when you visit.
Thanks for the information Tom, I will get straight involved with LinkedIn try and find companies and get talking.
You're right about Auckland and Wellington, but looking at other threads, Auckland might have to be a dream for a umber of years due to the expenses I'd need to live