Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Trip to North Island

Trip to North Island

Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:47 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trip to North Island

Hello everyone!

We are planning a trip to the North Island to do some diving. My in-laws kindly gifted us with a day trip to dive Poor Knights Island for our birthdays last year So far we know we will be flying into Auckland and staying for one night. After that the plan is to hire a car and drive north. This is where your recommendations would be great! I have some ideas, which I am now not so sure about as I've been told certain places aren't very nice. I checked out Whangarei online and it looks pretty decent, lots to keep us occupied and use as a base for our dive trip in Tutukaka. However, I have been told Whangarei is not very nice. What are your thoughts? Whangarei or stay in Tutukaka? I found a decent looking campsite called The Blue Heron (http://www.blueheron.co.nz/) - does anyone have any experiences with this? It looks lovely being out on the peninsula. After our dive trip we'll probably have a week to play with, possibly more. Any other suggestions in that area? We would like to find a nice beach where we can do some snorkelling, preferably from the shore without having to pay for a trip. We also like the usual hiking/biking/kayaking...

Thank you

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Feb 14th 2014 at 7:08 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to North Island

I would stay in Tutukaka; it's got proper sort of backpacker holiday vibe with a couple of nice cafes and restaurants there.

We stayed here http://www.tutukaka-holidaypark.co.nz/
Old Feb 14th 2014, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

When are you planning on coming up North? We are in Kerikeri, close to beaches and popular dive spots and kayaking. You're welcome to use our sleepout if you like, nothing flash but there are beds, shower and a loo!!!
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't waste any time by staying in Whangarei and would head straight to Tutukaka. If possible spend a night or two at Pacific Renezvous motel and request an ocean facing unit. This place has the prime spot on the coast and the views are truly spectacular. As already mentioned the eateries around the harbour are very good.
Nearby take the short walk down a well formed track to Whale Bay. This will give you a taste of what so many of the Northland beaches are like - pristine and absolutely gorgeous. Take along your togs and a picnic ( and some insect repellant).

NgaNgaru is another favourite spot of ours. Actually the whole area is fantastic with maori pa sites to walk to and hidden coves and beaches to discover on foot or by kayak. If you're into surfing then you'll have a blast. I could easily spend a week in Northland alone and haven't even mentioned any of the delights of the Bay of Islands! I hope you have warm sunny weather and have a great time
Old Feb 15th 2014, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Celticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud of

Hi,

Have stayed at the Blue Heron site, nice place, not far from Parua Bay. Apparently it is up for Sale at $2.4M price tag.

The trip to Whangarei Heads is well worth the drive.

As for Whangarei, well come and see it and judge for yourself.

I recommend "Split", opposite the Post Office on Rathborne Street for a meal.

Ian.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 4:18 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated!

As for timing it all depends when we buy a house. It could be March or September this year or March 2015. We would go sooner but we are trying to time our trip with peek diving conditions.

The campsite and motel at Tutukaka both look great. Thank you J19fmm for the offer of using your sleepout, I may take you up on the offer and will let you know nearer the time.

Woohoo getting excitied
Old Feb 16th 2014, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Thank you J19fmm for the offer of using your sleepout, I may take you up on the offer and will let you know nearer the time.

Woohoo getting excitied