Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance for Britain trip

Travel Insurance for Britain trip

Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Insurance for Britain trip

Hello

Right, the scenario is that we're going to be heading home for Christmas. We're booked to travel mid December, returning mid January.

I'm currently looking into travel insurance and I'm wondering if we require medical and hospital fees for this? Just as we're British Citizens, I thought we're entitled to NHS healthcare, even if we're living overseas? Is this correct?

I've seen a quote for $73 for the trip which is by far the cheapest but that does not include any medical expenses. Otherwise, I'm looking at around $150.00 for the trip

Is there anything else in a standard travel insurance pack that we do not require due to being British Citizens?

Many thanks for your help in advance
Old Aug 1st 2014, 3:45 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance for Britain trip

You can't access free NHS care if you are not resident in the UK, but you CAN as a New Zealand visitor. There is an agreement between the two countries that should you need essential medical care while you are in the UK you will receive the same standard of care at the same cost as local people. This means that you will get free medical care for urgent cases. The GP/practitioner must decide whether you qualify and my experience is that so long as you are not deliberately trying to rip off the system you will probably get essential care for free. E.g my NZ stepmother got a free doctors appointment and medication for a bladder infection while she was there.

Details here Reciprocal health agreements | Ministry of Health NZ
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
Hello

Right, the scenario is that we're going to be heading home for Christmas. We're booked to travel mid December, returning mid January.

I'm currently looking into travel insurance and I'm wondering if we require medical and hospital fees for this? Just as we're British Citizens, I thought we're entitled to NHS healthcare, even if we're living overseas? Is this correct?

I've seen a quote for $73 for the trip which is by far the cheapest but that does not include any medical expenses. Otherwise, I'm looking at around $150.00 for the trip

Is there anything else in a standard travel insurance pack that we do not require due to being British Citizens?

Many thanks for your help in advance
My feeling is take out full travel insurance to cover everything. I have just done that through STA travel who I booked the flights with even though my daughters a british citizen living in NZ it didn't cross my mind to not get insurance.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
My feeling is take out full travel insurance to cover everything. I have just done that through STA travel who I booked the flights with even though my daughters a british citizen living in NZ it didn't cross my mind to not get insurance.
Yes, that. You should be OK in the UK, but what about your actual travelling. Friends of ours did this trip and their son got sick on the flight - to the extent that he was not able to complete the trip home, and was hospitalised overnight at a stopover point. Do not skimp on insurance.

Last edited by bearskin; Aug 1st 2014 at 8:17 pm. Reason: sp
Old Aug 1st 2014, 9:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Also remember that the travel insurance will cover the costs of repatriation, god forbid you need it, and should also cover the extra costs of staying in the UK for the rest of the family if needed. It really isn't worth the risk, trying to save a few dollars to have to spend several thousand for 'unforseen circumstances'.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

We do have an address in the UK

But thanks for the advice. I can't believe how stupid I could have been. I've got it all arranged now, but cannot believe how much extra we're paying. I forgot we're flying via the USA and, well, I dread to think what will happen if one of us falls extremely ill on the flight. What, with the land of the free and their health system