Reload this Page >

Transporting van uk to NZ?

Transporting van uk to NZ?

Old Jul 25th 2016, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Snashy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transporting van uk to NZ?

Hello all....or anybody?

I've accepted a job offer for NZ. Only last night so early days in the process. I don't plan to sell my home but would love to take my VW transporter over. It does have rear seats/bed and a gas stove and sink and over here it's registered as a motor caravan. Now after a little research i'm thinking it would probably be better if i removed the mentioned parts to save on the hassle getting it passed through...or would it matter? And ,has anybody got any experience in shipping their vehicles over. Good or bad idea? I'm reading mixed comments. The van from the outside is like new as she's just had a make over. An upgrade front end from 2008 to 2010 plus a full respray.,new alloys etc. No rust. I'd hope to get her in a container and also put some belongings in the back.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by Snashy; Jul 25th 2016 at 11:52 am.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transporting van uk to NZ?

Have you used Trade Me to compare what your van is worth in the UK and what it is worth in NZ?

You have to make quite a bit of money to pay for shipping and all the checking and registration when you arrive.

A while back (strong exchange rate) it looked better to buy in NZ. Now the exchange rate is down it may be better to ship but you need a quote on shipping etc.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

contact aa nz and they will help you through the process and let you know, when you provide engine numbers and other things if it would pass on some nz compliance requirements or if it would need to be altered.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Great advice thank you.

And yes I'm looking at trade me and auto trader where they seem more expensive. And mine is pretty unique so would be nice to bring over. And the idea being I can put some belongings in the van,in the container.

I'm hoping it would be worth it to ship over. Trying to get quotes now so will see. Any advice welcome
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

For an imported vehicle the engine normally has to be up to the latest emission standards but I was told that there is an exemption if it is your main vehicle.

I was enquiring about a diesel camper.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snashy
Great advice thank you.

And yes I'm looking at trade me and auto trader where they seem more expensive. And mine is pretty unique so would be nice to bring over. And the idea being I can put some belongings in the van,in the container.

I'm hoping it would be worth it to ship over. Trying to get quotes now so will see. Any advice welcome
Depends on shipping method and the shipper if you can put items in the van when you ship it. Some allow it and some don't.

We decided not to ship our cars in the end. Sold them a few months before we migrated and used the cash to buy here. There was just so much red tape and messing about with cleaning to within an inch of their life and then compliance plus the risk of customs and MPI getting involved with extra costs then all the messing around with NZTA, getting it WOF'd, registered etc I just couldn't be arsed in the end.
In my opinion, unless you've got a decent modern vehicle that you've owned at least 12 months and it'll last you years then I can't see the point in bringing it. Also gotta think about it being a European import so in however many years it'll be worth less as it's not to NZ spec or even a Japanese import which are very common here. We also drive in KPH and odometer in KM's so unless you can change it that may be an issue. Also, most vehicles here are automatic. My next door neighbour (who is from the UK) has a VW Transporter camper van. Had it a while I think but unsure where he sourced it from and unfortunately they're on a world trip till October so I can't even ask him
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I think the fact that its been modified (different front end) will make things more difficult.
As said, contact the AANZ
Old Jul 26th 2016, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I've messaged aanz so will see what I get back.

Spoke to crown about shipping and they said no to filling the van even tho in a container. Don't get that : /

I'm starting to think it could be more hassle than it's worth. Will be gutted to sell her : (
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:35 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snashy

Spoke to crown about shipping and they said no to filling the van even tho in a container. Don't get that
all to do with illegal importing and would mean a lot of hassle this end as you would then need at least 2 different departments involved in processing the van.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
all to do with illegal importing and would mean a lot of hassle this end as you would then need at least 2 different departments involved in processing the van.
A lot of hassle for me to pay twice! Ha! Guess it is what it is but just seems ridiculous to waste space.