Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Transfering money to NZ from UK

Transfering money to NZ from UK

Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfering money to NZ from UK

I am sure that this question has been asked many times but can anyone recommend a good way to transfer the proceeds of our house sale to NZ?

Many thanks
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:46 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfering money to NZ from UK

we moved what we wanted from our house sale over a few weeks

Used HiFx at no transfer costs over a certain amount, I think 3K but read the small print
Old Sep 19th 2014, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Get some serious advice, especially with the GBP jittering with the Scottish thing..
Speak to your bank and foreign exchange companies...uncertain times..

We are in same position, BNZ have been good for background (look for Tony Alexander's routine financial updates), tout around with the FX companies, Moneycorp/ Hifx/ etc
Old Sep 20th 2014, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

This interests me too as my family are planning on transferring some money to me too later this year. My dad in UK says his bank (HSBC) said the cheapest way is for me to open an HSBC account here in NZ, however I am not sure whether they are just touting for business and anyway there aren't any branches in my city. Seems daft to me.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I set up an account with XE.Com. They offer great rates and no word of a lie take about 3-4 hours to move money from UK to NZ bank accounts.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

Hi, we set up an NZ bank account with ANZ from the UK. We then used a company called TorFX (Ryan Mayne). Ryan rang us once a week with the exchange rate and asked if we wanted to transfer our money. When we did, Ryan was a great help and not pushy.

Received bank statement from ANZ so we know money transaction went through.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

nzneville is on a distinguished road

I regularly move funds around and find either Foreign Currencies Direct or HiFX competitive from UK. however, watch out for FCD as they charge an administration fee, but if you have HiFX currencies on your screen and phone FCD at the same time, you can probably find a competitive rate inclusive of any administrative fees. I avoid the banks like the plague as I never find them anywhere near competitive.