Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Titirangi - no footpaths? Child friendly?

Titirangi - no footpaths? Child friendly?

Old Sep 21st 2014, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Popawheelie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Titirangi - no footpaths? Child friendly?

Hello all

I'm new here. We've been in AKL living on the shore for 10 months with two pre-schoolers. I'm a kiwi who was in LDN for 10 yrs and OH is British.

We are thinking of buying in Titirangi as it has lots going for families...
However I'm stumped by the lack of footpaths in most streets. Is it possible to walk anywhere with kids? Or do you have to drive?

Also re buses into the cbd.... How long do they take? Are there bus lanes? If journey planner says a 7.30am bus takes an hour is that accurate or does traffic mean it actually takes 2 hrs?

Thanks!

Popawheelie
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Titirangi - no footpaths? Child friendly?

Originally Posted by Popawheelie
Hello all

I'm new here. We've been in AKL living on the shore for 10 months with two pre-schoolers. I'm a kiwi who was in LDN for 10 yrs and OH is British.

We are thinking of buying in Titirangi as it has lots going for families...
However I'm stumped by the lack of footpaths in most streets. Is it possible to walk anywhere with kids? Or do you have to drive?

Also re buses into the cbd.... How long do they take? Are there bus lanes? If journey planner says a 7.30am bus takes an hour is that accurate or does traffic mean it actually takes 2 hrs?

Thanks!

Popawheelie
Not sure of bus travelling times but I would look at getting the train from Glen Eden or New Lynn. Titirangi Primary is quite a good school. You can walk around the village and surrounding areas Ok some streets only have one footpath tho. So it isnt the best but manageable. Nice area
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the enrolment areas if interested in going to the local primary school.

www.titirangi.school.nz
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Some streets have narrow/no footpaths but lots of streets have normal footpaths. It is quite a hilly suburb so quite tiring to walk some of it. Other local schools, Woodlands Park, Kaurilands and a bit further out Laingholm also have good reputations.

I'm 5 or 10 mins closer to CBD than Titirangi and used to get the bus. When I was on 7.30am start it would take about 30-35 mins on bus, 9am start about 45-50 mins, so add a bit on to that. Also, there are a few express buses at peak times which cut the time down a bit. Yes, another option is drive to Glen Eden, Fruitvale or New lynn station and train from there.

Finally, there is a very good Facebook Titirangi page you could join, very helpful people on there who could give you lots of info. It's a very nice suburb.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 11:52 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

footpaths seem to be missing in quite a few area's so certainly not just a Titirangi issue. I posted about this exact same thing the other week.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
footpaths seem to be missing in quite a few area's so certainly not just a Titirangi issue. I posted about this exact same thing the other week.
Yeah, agree. It's weird how many streets have pavements down only one side of a street, or ones that suddenly disappear.