Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tips on all things shipping related

Tips on all things shipping related

Old May 28th 2016, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips on all things shipping related

Originally Posted by Hammy54
Hi

We arrived in Hamilton in Feb and still waiting on our container to arrive - that's another story. I was lead to believe it was better to bring everything. This is totally wrong and my advice would be only to bring personal items that are totally irreplaceable.
It's a no brainer, even if you did the most basic tot up of cost to replace the big ticket items in your household, you would very quickly run out of money if relying on the 'saving' approximately NZ$8000 on shipping to replace the contents of a whole house.

Without even considering furniture $8000 would not even replace the most basic contents of my kitchen; from the roll of foil, lunchboxes, clingfilm, colander, scales, utensils, assorted baking tins, serving dishes, tupperware / storage containers, sieve, cheese grater, knives, cookery books, mixer, toaster, kettle, cutlery, tea-towels, mop, dinner service, saucepans, frying pans, coffee machine, washing machine, fridge / freezer etc. etc. etc.

The one shelf cookery books I keep in the kitchen would cost in excess of $1000 to replace.

Next stop the wardrobe; clothes, shoes, bags, coats, jackets, underwear: easily another $8,000 and that's just for me.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 11:28 am
Just Joined

bartholemues is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the thing I notice about NZ is that because the consumer market is so much smaller than the UK, they don't have companies like Amazon that rely on masses of transactions with tiny margins and drive prices down (for better or worse I guess with so many UK high street retailers going bankrupt as a result). Because the market is much smaller basic things are significantly more expensive and if you have spare container space they're well worth bringing over.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:14 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bartholemues
Yeah the thing I notice about NZ is that because the consumer market is so much smaller than the UK, they don't have companies like Amazon that rely on masses of transactions with tiny margins and drive prices down (for better or worse I guess with so many UK high street retailers going bankrupt as a result). Because the market is much smaller basic things are significantly more expensive and if you have spare container space they're well worth bringing over.
True

I remember the days before IKEA. It was hard to get cheap furniture that wasn't junk. IKEA changed the whole market in furniture. As well as high turnover they rely on a shorter supply chain.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

ReturningKiwi14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
ReturningKiwi14 - I got five companies to view but by the last one I just sat him down at the dining table and said please just quote me for 20ft as I cant bare going thru all the rooms one by one again! We had Anglo Pacific, PSS, Excess, Pickfords and an outfit called Pack and Send who I found through here but were not inspiring AT ALL and I'm not even going to chase the quote that hasn't arrived nearly two weeks later. I'm debating giving Crown a call too.

PSS do a free air freight box and 4 weeks free storage in NZ which is giving them the edge at the moment but it sounds like you'll have a place ready to go as soon as you land so that's great. A big consideration appears to be the movers at the NZ end, so do you research on who the company uses on the ground in NZ, lots of breakages happen at that stage from carelessness it seems.

The shipping companies also do currency exchange at very good rates, worth inquiring about that if you have a large sum to bring back.
Hey LisaMaree

Well we've had two duds (Moving Home Company, Eagle) and 3 possible (PSS, Bournes and Anglo Pacific).

We had really hoped a strong candidate would have emerged.

Bournes have a slick web site, slightly insipid salesmen and..scarily no reviews I can find
PSS were interesting but not entirely convincing,,,, positive web reviews
Anglo Pacfic man was nice, seem helpful and are competitive price wise... But the web reviews are scary

Uggh! Time to dissect each quote over the weekend....

Have you decided??
Old Jun 16th 2016, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ReturningKiwi14
Hey LisaMaree

Well we've had two duds (Moving Home Company, Eagle) and 3 possible (PSS, Bournes and Anglo Pacific).

We had really hoped a strong candidate would have emerged.

Bournes have a slick web site, slightly insipid salesmen and..scarily no reviews I can find
PSS were interesting but not entirely convincing,,,, positive web reviews
Anglo Pacfic man was nice, seem helpful and are competitive price wise... But the web reviews are scary

Uggh! Time to dissect each quote over the weekend....

Have you decided??

We used PSS and they were fantastic, this end it was NZ Van Lines and they were lovely, friendly and very efficient.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by j19fmm
We used PSS and they were fantastic, this end it was NZ Van Lines and they were lovely, friendly and very efficient.
Thanks kindly! Nice to hear first hand experiences

We saw them (PSS) at an expat show and they were nicer and more helpful than Bonner who were also there. Bloke who visited was good and I've had a soft spot for NZ Van Lines since they moved me as a student....

So they were one of our top two before we saw anyone.

They do want to put a container 400 yards up the road from us...not overly keen on that as its a main(ish) road

Anglo Pacfic - who I frankly wrote off before seeing them - have surprised me. Bloke lovely. Women on phone really helpful.. And use NZ van lines. But my heavens the reviews are scathing!!!!
Old Jun 16th 2016, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

Not 100% decided but PSS is definitely the front runner, I like the free air freight box (to send kids scooters and some toys down) and im 99% sure their paperwork says they don't charge Insurance Premium Tax which is a small saving again. Also have option of 4 weeks free storage NZ side which might come in handy in our situation.

Anglo is next favorable I think, purely based on price. Pickfords and Excess are tied third 😁

We have piles of STUFF all over the house waiting to eBay / car boot, hopefully will squeeze it all into a 20ft container when we are done.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point

When are you moving over? Just wondering how late I can leave getting quotes from movers, as we haven't even started decluttering/throwing out crap yet. We still haven't decided definitely that we're moving back to NZ, but landlord is selling the house we're living in here, so we're definitely moving somewhere!
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maquis
When are you moving over? Just wondering how late I can leave getting quotes from movers, as we haven't even started decluttering/throwing out crap yet. We still haven't decided definitely that we're moving back to NZ, but landlord is selling the house we're living in here, so we're definitely moving somewhere!
We have to sell our place here and get NZ renovations complete but aim end Nov/early Dec

They seem to reckon about 3 months is what most folk do.... And decluttering seems pretty endless ....
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

Most of the moving companies we had over in mid / end May for end Sept move said we were well in advance of the norm. About a months notice is good, they have moved people on a weeks notice in certain situations.

Our landlord is selling too, we were planning the move to NZ Sept 2017 but decided to go all in and bring plans forward. Tho now we are in holding pattern waiting for kids citizenship!
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

We had them round last year as our move is quite complicated and we wanted some advice on what we definitely couldn't take, what might be questioned and what was OK. I was completely open about the fact we didn't have visas yet but that we expected to be away within a year if we got them. That timescale is now blown out the water but the companies were lovely and we did have a clear front runner.
It was definitely worth us having them round before we decluttered major items like furniture as their advice about what would fit in different containers helped drive the declutter.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

We're looking at an end of Sept/early Oct move, so sounds like we still have a little time up our sleeves. Might think about making appointments with movers for July sometime. Decluttering is going to take a while! Can't believe how much stuff we have now, compared to the three suitcases we brought over 9 years ago.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maquis
Can't believe how much stuff we have now, compared to the three suitcases we brought over 9 years ago.
MrH and I still lugh about when we bought our first house together. We moved in with a couple of cardboard boxes of kitchen and general domestic stuff, two suitcases of clothes and three kittens

We've made the decision not to bring two massive, solid timber wardrobes and matching dressing table with us as they are all of an age that they've had woodworm sometime so stand a strong chance of being selected for fumigation. Our big settee is also staying here, mainly becase we had to take it apart and rebuild it to get it in the face and we don't find it comfotable enough to face reversing the process. I think an IKEA daybed/settee thing will be taking it's place.

Rethinking furniture has meant that, if we ddn't have the smallholding stuff, we'd now be in a 20' rather than a 40' container so it's definitely worth chatting wth the shippers.

Container jenga and decluttering also keeps me sane when I reach screaming point at how long everything is taking.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

I'm rethinking furniture as well - there are several pieces that are on their last legs and we won't be taking them back. However, debating whether to buy here new or wait till we get to where we're going!
Old Jun 17th 2016, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

We have the same laugh, 14yrs ago we got off the plane in Heathrow with a backpack each... The return journey is a 20ft container, 23kgs x 4 oh and two more human beings!! Because our timeframe moved up we didn't have time to buy a car here / own it for 12 mths to avoid tax otherwise it would have been a 40ft container

We purchased a few new pieces of furniture to take back, might do an Ikea stock up too but all the shabby stuff is being sold. From what people say you are better to buy here, generally furniture seems to be regarded by expats in NZ as expensive but of poor quality... my kiwi friends seem to have plenty of nice things and are not super wealthy so I'm not sure really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.