Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

Hi all.

We have visitors coming to stay. They have been to see us before but this time have indicated they would like to see further South of the South Island.

It has been a very long time since we were down that way at all.

There is a cursory list but I'm not sure what is possible in terms of time and distance. I'd actually prefer not to have to lug myself around for a week, motel to motel and the like but this may have to be the case.

They fly back out of Christchurch so we would end up there.

On this list
Dunedin - albatross and penguins & perhaps the city. Not sure . She likes to shop a bit.

Fjordland - they mentioned TeAnau but unless they take a boat trip & I think that might have to be overnight , I'm not sure what is there anymore. Nor the drive time to from Dunedin.

We think if we have to go down there then Queenstown. We did think Tekapo as that can be lovely in the right weather.

Originally I was simply thinking a trip down the West Coast. Cut back across through Arthurs Pass and into Christchurch but they are looking further than that. Bloomin' travel books.

I think given the distance from the Nelson area to Dunedin, we would have to perhaps fly to Christchurch , hire a vehicle and do a loop. Is that possible in a week?

What are your thoughts please. Mine are completely muddled.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:28 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

It is possible Bevs but you may spend more tome traveling than seeing. I do not really think the scenery improves south of Queenstown so I would suggest
that if they want to see south of SI a quickish drive down 1 to see little blue penguins at Timaru down to see the Boulders and steam punk scene in Oamaru down to Dunedin to see the Royal Albatros but then cut across 1 and 94 to Te Anau to see either Milford or Doubtful sounds and the glowworm caves then back to Queenstown then take the Cardrona road to Wanaka (my favorite place!) then 6 up the West coast to the glaziers to Greymouth onto 7 over the Lewis pass turning up to Hanmer Springs for a soak and back to Chch
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:38 pm
`

Default Re: Tiki tour - one week - Mid to bottom of South Island. Your thoughts please

Oh yes. I forgot about the boulders. I'd forgotten about the penguin hide at Timaru. We saw yellow crested penguins there in '97. Just walking along a cliff path at duck and suddenly we saw them just being there .

hat was so amazing. I will never forget that really - so how did I forget.

What is the steam punk scene?

I must admit I'd prefer they didn't bother with fjordland as I don't think there is enough time. We did a 4 day trip out over Doubtful years ago & that was fine for us but we kayak and the like.

I think Queenstown and a boat trip there and as you say hit a quality scenic road to Wanaka. Lovely place.

HHmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:15 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
What is the steam punk scene?
Steampunk is a quirky and fun genre of science fiction that features steam-powered technology. It is often set in an alternate, futuristic version of 19th century Victorian England.
The Steampunk future is driven by unusual steam powered devices – the ‘world gone mad’ as Victorian people may have imagined it. Examples are machines like those in the writing of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, and in tv shows such as Dr. Who.

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:16 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Steampunk - something we want to visit along with the chocolate factory
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:36 pm
`

Steampunk looks like a goer and is in Oamaru which is a lovely little town.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:49 pm
`

Is Te Anau and Milford worth it over simply going to Queenstown and taking a boat trip?

What about we fly to Queenstown. Take a one way rental car to end up back in Christchurch?

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 23rd 2015 at 10:55 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Is Te Anau and Milford worth it over simply going to Queenstown and taking a boat trip?

What about we fly to Queenstown. Take a one way rental car to end up back in Christchurch?
We loved Te Anau and Milford Sound. The latter being just awesome in the true sense of the word. I'm another Wanaka lover, much preferred it to Queenstown. We did 2 nights in Te Anau and then headed back to Queenstown. Stayed in a lovely B&B there.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:03 pm
`

The prices to fly Nelson to Queenstown
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:07 pm
`

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
We loved Te Anau and Milford Sound. The latter being just awesome in the true sense of the word. I'm another Wanaka lover, much preferred it to Queenstown. We did 2 nights in Te Anau and then headed back to Queenstown. Stayed in a lovely B&B there.
Does Milford Sound really need an overnighter boat trip please? Can't think you'd get far up the Sound without that.

Anyone any thoughts about boats?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

The prices to fly Nelson to Queenstown
Anything on grabaseat? I don't suppose they discount these flights much. Bloody daylight robbery.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:18 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

No Milford need not be overnight. We booked a trip from TE Anau where a coach picked us up early morning took us up to the sound with stops to see the highlights of the forest then a boat trip up and down Milford and then back on the coach when we got back to Te Anau we jumped on a boat to go see the Glow worms...
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:19 pm
`

Argh! I need to fit in glow worms too now.

Sticks fingers in ears and shuts eyes.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:23 pm

We booked a long weekend in Oamaru accidentally when the steam punk festival was on. Never had such a good laugh lovely nutters!
They come from all over the World!
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:33 pm

must say we much preferred Wanaka to Queenstown also. Think the kids preferred Queenstown just because it has the luge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.