i've been on (on indeed not on) here for a couple of years now and as with all forums the same old things are brought up over and over again. (If you are ever bored find a vw van forum and start a thread about the nice bull bars on the front of your van and see what happens
A few examples that spring to mind on expats are:
1. NZ is pants
2. NZ is not pants
These first 2 are normally replied to with either:
1. You are a miserable sod therefore i shall point this glaringly obvious fact out to you.
2. You are far too happy and I am a miserable sod therefore I shall p*iss on your bonfire.
That covers the popular two.
The other themes that seem to circulate weekly are:
1.I have stuff already, will that stuff fit/work/explode in my face/make me the talk of the town and cause the local ladies to want to have my babies, when i get to NZ.
2. I dont have stuff, is there anything in NZ that might possibly be useful or will have to make my household appliances out of bits of twig, moss and spit.
3. I have heard that there are people who may be foreign living in NZ and i may have to interact with them. Is there a way I can avoid this, obviously i want to fit in, but only with people who are the same as me in every way. In fact can i be cloned to save me the trouble of starting conversations with smelly people.
4. I have bought a house/car/washing machine/puppy/jar of marmite/hotdog on a stick that i dont like very much. Can other people please sympathise with me and give me a hug and tell me it's not that i'm stupid, it's the locals that made me do it.
5. I am far cleverer than anyone else and feel that i need to point this out to the stupid people by telling them that they are stupid.
6. I am a better driver than anyone one else in the world. Ever.
7. I am from (insert country here) and we have things that are much better than NZ. I decided to move to NZ so that i could fulfill my lifes ambition of telling everyone in NZ how great (insert country here) is.
8. I used to live in NZ and i didnt like it. I feel i need to tell you that you wont like it either.
So your challenge dear forum user is to come up with an original thread, it should be relevant interesting and cause debate, but not have been covered before and deffo none of the examples above.
Ok so i'll start with the ideas,
How about a thread on the best sort of sofa to put on the front deck, or how come i can understand nearly everyone elses accent but no one seems to be able to understand mine?
I'm sure you will all have better ideas than mine.
Bevs can pick the winning idea.