Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Swearing in the workplace

Swearing in the workplace

Old Feb 20th 2017, 1:16 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swearing in the workplace

Starting to realise it's not really the done thing here..

I come from an industry where swearing at work is kind of normal - male dominated I guess. Here, where I work I've noticed people wincing when I use the F bomb and so I've had to kind of curb that. Sometimes it slips out though when I get excited.

Anyone else noticed this, is NZ more prudish than UK?
Old Feb 20th 2017, 1:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swearing in the workplace

When it comes to fruity language, I think everywhere is more conservative than the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 1:59 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Quite the opposite in my experience, probably varies hugely by workplace/industry/city/individual etc
Old Feb 20th 2017, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Exact opposite here too - people in my office are pretty sweary. I find in general the tolerance for swearing is pretty high, with lots more colourful language in general use, especially on tv and radio
Old Feb 20th 2017, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my lord! You are kidding surely ?
Considering my NZ workplace is much more professional and I suppose has a higher importance and executive air about it than my previous employ in the UK it is the most sweary place on earth. It is F bomb C bomb T bomb B bomb and all the other possible bombs city from the moment I start till the moment I leave. Very male dominated though with only a couple of ladies in the mix but they're just as bad as their male colleagues when it's going wrong.....and I love it!!!
It's only when the general manager, CEO or visitors are lurking does the conversation get our very best telephone voice ;-)
Old Feb 20th 2017, 7:25 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Oh my lord! You are kidding surely ?
Considering my NZ workplace is much more professional and I suppose has a higher importance and executive air about it than my previous employ in the UK it is the most sweary place on earth. It is F bomb C bomb T bomb B bomb and all the other possible bombs city from the moment I start till the moment I leave. Very male dominated though with only a couple of ladies in the mix but they're just as bad as their male colleagues when it's going wrong.....and I love it!!!
It's only when the general manager, CEO or visitors are lurking does the conversation get our very best telephone voice ;-)
Ha ha! That's so funny.
No it's a bit more reserved where I work. I thought that was the norm. The only other ******* sweary mary in my office is also a pom.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

When I arrived in Auckland 1987 I was shocked that my boss in the upmarket consulting engineers I worked for was incredibly sweary and used to get really worked up about certain people and go off Effing and C-ing all over the place. I was the only female in the company and some of the engineers also used colourful language and some didn't. It used to make me very nervous but I soon got used to it and it wasn't because I never swore (but just didn't at my work places in UK). Now I work in logistics and they are all very sweary and base. Just common as muck I suppose haha!
Old Feb 20th 2017, 1:44 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
Starting to realise it's not really the done thing here..

Anyone else noticed this, is NZ more prudish than UK?
Pardon ?

You've got to be joking.

It wasn't just the level, amount and frequency of swearing that made me cringe when I was working in NZ, in various different offices. It was the juvenile delight in doing so.

Also being smirked at for being, 'proper' because I didn't swear at work was just another example of low level but nevertheless continual bullying I was getting. (I'm in control of my language/vocabulary, thank you.)

The person who apologised to me on the quiet for swearing really didn't need to though and I told her so. She was one of the more tame, reasonable and odd-for-a-kiwi grown up ones.

I did remark to a departing kiwi who was handing over the job to me prior to going to live and work in Britain that swearing can be a disciplinary offence at work in Britain.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 6:53 pm
Welly bound

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Pardon ?

You've got to be joking.

It wasn't just the level, amount and frequency of swearing that made me cringe when I was working in NZ, in various different offices. It was the juvenile delight in doing so.

Also being smirked at for being, 'proper' because I didn't swear at work was just another example of low level but nevertheless continual bullying I was getting. (I'm in control of my language/vocabulary, thank you.)

The person who apologised to me on the quiet for swearing really didn't need to though and I told her so. She was one of the more tame, reasonable and odd-for-a-kiwi grown up ones.

I did remark to a departing kiwi who was handing over the job to me prior to going to live and work in Britain that swearing can be a disciplinary offence at work in Britain.
Obviously my sample size of one is not representative! Unfortunately, I grew up reading viz comics in a fairly laddish 80s/90's culture so I kind of sometimes do find swearing amusing - depending on the context of course.

Apologies to you Snapshot for raising uncomfortable memories, just trying to lighten the mood a bit and failing..
Old Feb 20th 2017, 7:27 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Munchkjn - are you sure you are in New Zealand?

I am often taken aback with the amount of swearing here, yes and no watershed on the TV either.
Also find the abuse about competitors frankly offensive.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 7:41 pm
Welly bound

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Munchkjn - are you sure you are in New Zealand?

I am often taken aback with the amount of swearing here, yes and no watershed on the TV either.
Also find the abuse about competitors frankly offensive.
I'm fairly sure we are in NZ, but you'd never know from the weather (except this week of course )

As a family we don't generally watch NZ TV. We just use on demand services like Netflix and a certain player from an undisclosed country.
So haven't noticed this aspect.

It is quite old fashioned where I work, and there's a feeling of the 1930's about the place. I'm sure there's a picture of George V somewhere around here. Maybe that sense of austerity and tradition has prevailed in the culture more so than in other workplaces. That's all I can imagine.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the workplace and I suspect the age of the participants.

I find any swearing in front of females obnoxious/disrespectful and very rarely get exposed to it in public myself - but that may be down to my grey hair.

Most film scripts seem to be littered with obscenities probably on the grounds of 'authenticity' so you can't blame youngsters.

Having said that, I was in an office (in UK) with a plumber fixing something next door with his mate and I swear that in an hours conversation every second word started with f - he probably was incapable of communicating without it :-)
Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:25 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I work in IT and we generally do a fair bit of swearing under our breath at the things we're working on.
I'd say it's similar to the place I worked in the UK.

I was amused to find that the head of our organisation - a highly educated doctor of law, who's very well-spoken and quiet in his speeches - is incredibly sweary in personal conversation.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 7:29 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I work in IT and we generally do a fair bit of swearing under our breath at the things we're working on.
I'd say it's similar to the place I worked in the UK.

I was amused to find that the head of our organisation - a highly educated doctor of law, who's very well-spoken and quiet in his speeches - is incredibly sweary in personal conversation.
I don't mind a bit if swearing as long as it's well articulated. Many of us would love to say we always speak propper rather than grunt and swear at one another but you piss with the cock you've got, right?

No doubt with the rapid spread of American corporate culture we are living in the final days of fun and interesting at work. Pretty soon we'll all be pretending we are working late to 'impress the boss', clapping like good little cheerleaders after boring power point presentations and avoiding jokes for fear of causing offence. We are destined for a future of mindless drones from business schools wearing grey suits and talking about their golf swing or mid-range german car.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

F U

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.