Reload this Page >

Starting out, totally confused

Starting out, totally confused

Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Cm81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting out, totally confused

Hi everyone.
I have read the pinned posts and done some reading on various other sites I just wanted some information from people who have experienced moving to NZ.
My husband was approached for a senior managerial position in Auckland, he has accepted in principle and we are awaiting correspondence from a relocation agent, the company are flying us over early January to look at various things (houses/schools etc and for my husband to look at his working environment.).
We have 3 children (and a dog) kids are almost 9, almost 6 and just turned 3. The eldest 2 are very settled in our local school and I’m terrified of moving them to the other side of the world, I think it would be an amazing opportunity for them to experience diversity etc but I’m so worried about how it could impact on them.
Housing wise, we own our own home here, we’d probably either rent ours out or shut it down whilst we weighed up our options in NZ.
My husband would need to be based in Auckland or a communal table distance away.

My concerns are the kids adapting, how on earth do you find an area you’d like to live? We’d like to live in a nice area with access to a nice school. Probably a brittish expat area would be good for us. Also the cost of living, I had a look at a supermarket online and attempted a weekly shop o my god it was eye wateringly expensive so I’m just wondering if there’s tips for shopping that I’m obviously not aware of?

I am a qualified nurse and I can prescribe too, is there much call for agency nurses? Do I need to sit an entrance exam? The plan would be for me not to work for the first few months as my husbands role is huge and he’d be away a lot so I wanted to be at home for the kids whilst everything was new. But eventually I would like to look into options for me.

Help! I feel sick with worry and just want to burry my head in the sand
X
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 9:42 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting out, totally confused

HI and welcome to BE.

To be able to work as a nurse you would need to get NZ registration. International registration / Nurses / Home - Nursing Council of New Zealand

Have you checked out the new visa requirements to ensure that the job offer enables the whole family to move and is it a permanent visa.
New Zealand is very expensive with little choice and Auckland is the most expensive area.
As for the kids they are at an age to adapt but be aware that the education system is different from the UK and there is a "voluntary"fee which some schools do not understand the term voluntary. Auckland school reprimanded after school donation 'misunderstanding' | Stuff.co.nz

Why do you want to move ? and experiencing diversity will certainly happen, good and bad
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Just one small comment. If you are looking for diversity for your children, there is no better place than England!
Old Nov 4th 2017, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to apply for nursing registration in New Zealand.

I do agree that diversity seems like an odd reason to move from the UK to New Zealand. Many more people it seems - and some of them pop up here from time to time - whinge about the diversity in the UK and cite that as a reason they want to emigrate.

I think the kids will be fine. Ultimately it will come down to, is your husband's salary enough for you to have a lifestyle similar to, or more importantly an upgrade to, your lifestyle in the UK?

Unfortunately no tips I can think of that, financially, are going to move the needle all that much. You can do things that cut costs but they aren't going to result in a windfall.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cm81
We have 3 children (and a dog) kids are almost 9, almost 6 and just turned 3. The eldest 2 are very settled in our local school and I’m terrified of moving them to the other side of the world, I think it would be an amazing opportunity for them to experience diversity etc but I’m so worried about how it could impact on them.

My concerns are the kids adapting, how on earth do you find an area you’d like to live? We’d like to live in a nice area with access to a nice school. Probably a brittish expat area would be good for us. Also the cost of living, I had a look at a supermarket online and attempted a weekly shop o my god it was eye wateringly expensive so I’m just wondering if there’s tips for shopping that I’m obviously not aware of?
I wouldn't worry about the kids at all, the schools are generally better than the UK and at those ages they will adapt almost immediately, you may even see them flourish as kids more than in the UK. Diversity wise our sons have no issues and enjoy learning Mandarin, Japanese, Kapa Haka, Maori etc. A lot of nationalities at their schools.

I'm not sure about food, I guess you can cook more seasonally or shop around at butchers or fruit/vegetable shops rather than supermarkets. Look out for specials etc. The food (in Auckland) is generally of better quality than the average UK supermarket and the supermarkets have good ranges of food. Not as many ready meals or prepackaged meals though.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 5:03 am
Just Joined

stevie_p is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carcajou
You will have to apply for nursing registration in New Zealand???

Are you sure about this? I completed all the relevant forms etc from the UK. Granted it was a long winded process.
Unless the requirements have changed I am not sure about this.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 4th 2017 at 8:53 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevie_p
are you sure about this? I completed all the relevant forms etc from the UK. Granted it was a long winded process.
Unless the requirements have changed I am not sure about this.
I think you misunderstood me - "apply for nursing registration in New Zealand" meaning "register with the Nursing Council of New Zealand." Not be physically present in New Zealand.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 4th 2017 at 8:54 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

As above apply for your nz registration which can be a long winded and frustrating experience in itself. Check if you have enough points to enter as skilled migrants...if not see other visa options, the rules are liable to change with the new incoming government. Your experience as a nurse will count for visas and your job interview but, and I’m sure a lot will agree, the work place prefers “kiwi experience” I’m currently fighting my way through a preceptorship after many years in the healthcare game and have obviously lost all seniority ( although I’m on top step pay for staff nurses) you are an unknown entity for your workplace and you have to prove yourself ( my poor preceptor has been qualified 2 years and doesn’t quite know where to pitch what she is teaching me but we will get through it lol)
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
The food (in Auckland) is generally of better quality than the average UK supermarket and the supermarkets have good ranges of food.
I think this is another myth spread about NZ all the time that's clearly not true.

My mate from NZ is over here in the UK at the minute, he's a bit of a foodie and he's blown away by what's available here, the quality and how affordable great food is. I couldn't get him out of the Asda when he first got here,he was insisting on cooking every night.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 4th 2017 at 8:51 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:51 am
Just Joined

stevie_p is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carcajou
I think you misunderstood me - "apply for nursing registration in New Zealand" meaning "register with the Nursing Council of New Zealand." Not be physically present in New Zealand.
Sorry carcajou yes I did misunderstand. I just thought this might have been one of the changes.

Though to the OP, there has been some changes since the last so be aware. My employer stated that it is becoming increasingly difficult do recruit nurses from the UK due to all the changes.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 4th 2017 at 8:55 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Nov 4th 2017, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Cm81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, wow there is a lot to think about.
I’m actually really put off by the nursing side of things, I’m a band 8a here, I’m an advanced nurse practitioner, from what I can see there’s no particular roles like that. I worked in emergency department for years though and y idea had been to do ad hoc ED shifts once we were settled but it is worrying that I couldn’t continue in my role which I love
In a way I don’t want to go as we are settled here, but the opportunity for my husband would be amazing and I have always wanted the children to experience living in other places. I’m trying to research as much as possible just to get an idea of what it could be like and make a decision on whether to go
X
Old Nov 4th 2017, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice

Hi OP.

It is definitely a big decision and while you consider the the children, don't forget about yourselves as well. You will be moving to a a place where you will have to make new friends and connections, the same if you were moving if you were in the UK, but the big difference will be that you will be a long way from what you know now.

Food prices is definitely an eye-opener. We are spoilt in the UK. But I am actually looking forward to buying seasonally and being a bit more considered when shopping. So not all bad!

It's a lot to think about, that's for sure.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

In a way I don’t want to go as we are settled here, but the opportunity for my husband would be amazing and I have always wanted the children to experience living in other places. I’m trying to research as much as possible just to get an idea of what it could be like and make a decision on whether to go
X
They do have CNS over here but the jobs are few and far between. Moving over here is something you have to be 99.9% certain you want to do, the expense and stress of getting over is huge, homesickness and missing family can be a major cause of unhappiness.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m actually really put off by the nursing side of things, I’m a band 8a here, I’m an advanced nurse practitioner, from what I can see there’s no particular roles like that. I worked in emergency department for years though and y idea had been to do ad hoc ED shifts once we were settled but it is worrying that I couldn’t continue in my role which I love
X
Hi
Within reason your research will not really help. You need to experience it on a NZ wage. What is your husbands expected wage?
Wait till your buying your kids school uniform at $500 each without the voluntary contribution.
Be ready for home cooking as ready meals arent readily available.
The schooling, well the single biggest reason we returned and yes I did research.
I found the kids being kids endearing for a couple of years and then longed for mine to experience the things they would have in the UK.

Dont get me wrong the scenery is amazing, beaches often quiet, scenery amazing.... Im struggling, scenery didnt pay the way and as the kids got older had no interest in the beach.

Your children can experience moving by moving within the UK.

Good luck with your decision
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Kids are kids, they are far more adaptable and resilient than we give them credit for.

There are million and millions of kids around the world who have upped sticks and moved
to new countries and schools, the majority don't have meltdowns, unlike some parents,
they simply make new friends and carry on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.