Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Starting citizenship process before the 5 year mark?

Starting citizenship process before the 5 year mark?

Old Jun 20th 2015, 9:13 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting citizenship process before the 5 year mark?

Originally Posted by janiejones
that required citizenship. If I'd been successful, I would have been entitled to fast track my citizenship.
Erm, sorry, but the way you have written this sounds like a contradiction.

Why would they fast track citizenship if you already had citizenship ?
Old Jun 20th 2015, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

If I'd been offered the job as a non citizen, I would have been fast tracked to citizenship. I checked beforehand that I was okay to apply. Moot point, as I wasn't successful anyhow.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 1:33 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, I went for a job recently that required citizenship. If I'd been successful, I would have been entitled to fast track my citizenship. Didn't get the job, so back to my Waitangi Day fantasy ;-)
Do you think you didn't get the job because you didn't already have citizenship?
Old Jun 21st 2015, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

No. Other candidates had more relevant experience, my lack of citizenship wasn't a hurdle, they confirmed that for me before I applied. I think some govt depts can be stricter about the citizenship requirements, which is why I'm keen to get mine soonest, I can be considered.

I've plugged a few dates in the calculator, and we can apply this side of Christmas, so I'll sort out an appointment nearer the time. :-)
Old Jun 21st 2015, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Another reason can be family ties - it can feel a bit odd when the rest of your family have citizenship and you don't.
Yep - my wife and child and any subsequent children (as it stands) are (will be) both British and Kiwi. I'm just British with Permanent Residency.

In the unlikely event that something changes the guidelines around qualification to become a citizen of NZ or PR I figure that I should become a Kiwi as soonest opportunity so as a family we're all in the same boat.

This also allows us to come and go as we please in the future, individually or as a family.

It just seems to make sense.

Having said that, a colleague of mine who is an ex-pat hasn't left NZ shores for over a decade, is a PR, doesn't have a current British passport and hasn't yet applied for NZ citizenship. Even if it's marginal, the uncertainty of this makes me uneasy for her!! I couldn't do it.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:15 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

janiejones, we have a member posting in the Oz section about her plans to move there and I noticed her timeline includes citizenship in <5 years - maybe PM her? http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...hancock-75997/
Old Jun 24th 2015, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

janiejones, we have a member posting in the Oz section about her plans to move there and I noticed her timeline includes citizenship in <5 years - maybe PM her? http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...hancock-75997/

Hey, this is me

We came here on a WTR visa to start with and had to wait for so many days of that after our 5yr mark. We got here Dec 9th but could not apply until January some point just after 5 years later. (My husband dealt with all of this so no clue why, i just remember there was a reason)

We then had to wait for the next ceremony which was the March of that year.

Good luck
Old Jun 24th 2015, 2:00 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarolineHancock
Hey, this is me

We came here on a WTR visa to start with and had to wait for so many days of that after our 5yr mark. We got here Dec 9th but could not apply until January some point just after 5 years later. (My husband dealt with all of this so no clue why, i just remember there was a reason)

We then had to wait for the next ceremony which was the March of that year.

Good luck
Did you get citizenship this year (2015) then? Your signature states you got citizenship less than five years after arriving - apologies for linking to you if this is not right Good luck with your Sunshine Coast plans
Old Jun 24th 2015, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get citizenship this year (2015) then? Your signature states you got citizenship less than five years after arriving - apologies for linking to you if this is not right Good luck with your Sunshine Coast plans
HA!!! Just realised my dates are out, we arrived 2008 LOL.
Better go change that.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 2:15 am
---

Ahhhh, I see! I was reading your thread on the Oz forum, noticed your signature, and remembered this thread.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Resurecting the zombie thread to say that we've had letters through this morning, telling us that we're approved, and our details have been passed onto our local authority for inclusion in the next available ceremony. I've just checked the dates, and there's one in February, just after Waitangi Day.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 7:12 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Resurecting the zombie thread to say that we've had letters through this morning, telling us that we're approved, and our details have been passed onto our local authority for inclusion in the next available ceremony. I've just checked the dates, and there's one in February, just after Waitangi Day.
Well done, sorry you can't get it done on Waitangi Day itself like you wanted. It's the next best thing i.e. near enough. Classic New Zealand.