Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Social Work in New Zealand!!!

Social Work in New Zealand!!!

Old Apr 29th 2004, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

harticus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Work in New Zealand!!!

Hello Im new on this forum and I'm not an ExPat, although I soon hope to be one.

If there are any social workers or anyone related to social work on this forum could you please give me some info about what opportunities there for social workers from the UK in New Zealand.

My girlfiend and My self are hoping to move to New Zealand next April and I happened to come across this site which is top.

Cheers

Harticus

Old Apr 29th 2004, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Sorry I just realised there is a jobs forum but could you pleeze help me anyway.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

MarkLynch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by harticus
Sorry I just realised there is a jobs forum but could you pleeze help me anyway.
If your partner is a qualified Social Worker immigration should be simple, quick and straight forward. Dependant on the number of years experience and your qualifications you may be able to apply for permanant residency and be able to gain enough points to have your application processed. The present number of points taken from the pool is 180.

My wife and I are looking to emigrate in January 2005 where she will be doing her final placement in Social Work and I should be able to get a job in my own profession. We are eagerley looking forward to it.

Jobs in Social Work are plentiful. We will be visiting a couple whose wife is a social worker who lived around the corner and they went for a holiday, she got a job whilst over there and they have now got residency and loving every minute of it.

Have you got any further with your plans?
Old Apr 30th 2004, 10:50 am
Just Joined

yes my partner is a social aswell, she's been qualified and working for over a year, and I am just about to qualify.

I have a friend who works in new zealand whos looking into things for me, but he's a bit of dope.

I am not going to sort anything out at the moment because we are inintially going to travel around Thailand etc for 6 months in Jan 2005 before we visit my friend and put the feelers out for some work.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 11:24 am
Just Joined

MarkLynch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Worker Responding!!

Hello, it's Sarah the (nearly) Social Worker!

Social work in NZ is the same common theme as it is in the UK, there are plenty of jobs in the children and family services, and diversity in working with the moria culture.

Adult services are much the same as the UK, with their own version of the Care Management system, and jobs in adults seem more scarce in their governmental Children & Family & Youth Services, as employees tend to move around in the sysytem and get the jobs rather than external applicants.

Legislation is similar and they have The Children and Families Act, which some (I think) is adopted from our Children Act 1989.

hope this helps a little

Any more questions, feel free

sarah