Reload this Page >

Should we move back?

Should we move back?

Old Nov 20th 2015, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Paps1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should we move back?

Originally Posted by Louiselouise03
Hi, just thought I'd share my experiences. I do think having kids helps you to know more people. I moved to a new suburb in Auckland this year. My daughter is at Kindergarten and does a few other activities. I've found people are really quick to give you their phone number if the kids seem to be getting on, saying, 'we should get them together for a play date.' So, next thing you are sitting in different peoples kitchens having a chat while the kids play. I think I used to be a bit reserved about asking to meet up with people I'd just met, but now I realise it's quite acceptable to suggest a meet up. My husband has come back from the playground at the weekend with phone numbers of people who want to meet for play dates.I didn't meet as many new kiwis before having my daughter, it seems easier, but maybe people its the same in the UK for families.
Also for those with babies/toddlers, there are lots of playgroups here where the mums stay and I found it was a good place to make friends as everyone's looking for the same thing.
Thank you Louise. I do think having kids makes a difference because you have something in commoncommon. Really appreciate your reply.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tom H
Word of advice!

Don't come to Christchurch for IT jobs. I'd seriously consider Wellington first, then the Tauranga area.

Nothing wrong with the city, just the IT pay here is decreasing and is a lot less attractive than Wellington. There was a survey done by Absolute IT that can back this up. I know in my role, the average pay is $7,000 more in Wellington than Christchurch - and also from research, cost of living seems cheaper up there. Auckland wages are also higher than Christchurch as expected but the cost of living is a lot more. The average IT salary in general is $18,000 higher in Wellington than Christchurch

There's a thing Absolute IT did here that you may want to look at...

Spotlight on Christchurch - What's on offer in NZ's South - Absolute IT

Plus, more IT jobs are showing up in Tauranga now. Demand there is quite high.
Thank you for your reply Tom. Certainly something we will look into then.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paps1
The reason to move back is purely for the lifestyle we could offer our children there. It is expensive here too, we are lucky we have a lot of equity in our house living near London the prices go up all the time. So it wouldn't really be a problem property wise. We would be able to afford to come back but obviously it is expensive to go back and forward for flights never mind anything else.

Your response has been really useful. I suppose I really need to be honest with myself and think that if the situation was the same as before would I be happy. The truth is I don't think I would, but I am really fighting with what I think would be a better safer place for my children to grow up in. Glad it isn't just me x
Hi we're moving back after 5 years back in the UK! I as the parent that wasn't working felt very isolated at first but after a couple of weeks I put myself out there, I came onto this forum and found people that were moving to where we're and introduced myself, helped them out with questions they had even looked at rentals and gave them my honest opinion, I either met them at the airport or not long after they arrived for a coffee and a chat even started looking after their children whilst they sorted themselves out! Then I found myself a part time job which believe me is the best thing you can do even if it's for a couple of hours a week.
I worked in a supermarket so was a very social job but if you have children that are school they are always looking for parents to help with reading the PTA and fundraising events which would be an excellent place to make new friends.
I can honestly say the friends that I met whilst in NZ for 2 years are the best I've stayed on touch with them and can't wait to get back!
Old Nov 20th 2015, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by valleygurl
Hi we're moving back after 5 years back in the UK! I as the parent that wasn't working felt very isolated at first but after a couple of weeks I put myself out there, I came onto this forum and found people that were moving to where we're and introduced myself, helped them out with questions they had even looked at rentals and gave them my honest opinion, I either met them at the airport or not long after they arrived for a coffee and a chat even started looking after their children whilst they sorted themselves out! Then I found myself a part time job which believe me is the best thing you can do even if it's for a couple of hours a week.
I worked in a supermarket so was a very social job but if you have children that are school they are always looking for parents to help with reading the PTA and fundraising events which would be an excellent place to make new friends.
I can honestly say the friends that I met whilst in NZ for 2 years are the best I've stayed on touch with them and can't wait to get back!
Thanks you! If only I would have known about this site when I was living there.
Still deciding what to do some days I feel like i am packing my bags others it scares me so still a lot to think about. Really appreciate your reply.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks you! If only I would have known about this site when I was living there.
Still deciding what to do some days I feel like i am packing my bags others it scares me so still a lot to think about. Really appreciate your reply.
Good luck with your move back to NZ X
Old Dec 15th 2015, 12:22 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my husband are best friends so that helps.

I do find it hard to make friends. I find a lot of kiwis very closed people. Also little town syndrome is frustrating. Everyone has grown up with everyone and they seem to know or be related in one way or another.
The think the cultural divide is huge.any kiwis I tend to get on with are well travelled or are married to expats.
We are fortunate to have a close group of friends(expats) and I'm fine with that.
Yes I agree people are more chatty but they mainly keep themselves to themselves.
Just my opinion
Old Dec 15th 2015, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply. I agree they are more chatty but it doesn't go anywhere. I am glad you have made it work. I suppose I just have to be realistic about what it would be like rather than looking back with rose tinted glasses.
Xx
Originally Posted by moving2NZ2013

I do find it hard to make friends. I find a lot of kiwis very closed people. Also little town syndrome is frustrating. Everyone has grown up with everyone and they seem to know or be related in one way or another.
The think the cultural divide is huge.any kiwis I tend to get on with are well travelled or are married to expats.
We are fortunate to have a close group of friends(expats) and I'm fine with that.
Yes I agree people are more chatty but they mainly keep themselves to themselves.
Just my opinion

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 16th 2015 at 2:56 am. Reason: fix quotes
Old Dec 15th 2015, 6:08 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply. I agree they are more chatty but it doesn't go anywhere. I am glad you have made it work. I suppose I just have to be realistic about what it would be like rather than looking back with rose tinted glasses.
Xx

Just my opinion
I think it's very easy to think the grass is greener. I did and it's not better here just different.

There are pros and cons.
Should I have made more of an effort in the uk? I'd say yes.
Having said that I'm here now and although I get home sick I'm looking to the U.K. Thinking what if.
I will not be moving back; uprooting the kids and the cost is just too much.

I know several expats in a lot of debt through ping ponging.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 16th 2015 at 2:57 am.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Are you in the UK or NZ now? I know about the ping pong that's what I don't want, we have 4 little ones so not as easy to go backward and forward.

I think it's very easy to think the grass is greener. I did and it's not better here just different.

There are pros and cons.
Should I have made more of an effort in the uk? I'd say yes.
Having said that I'm here now and although I get home sick I'm looking to the U.K. Thinking what if.
I will not be moving back; uprooting the kids and the cost is just too much.

I know several expats in a lot of debt through ping ponging.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 16th 2015 at 2:57 am. Reason: quotes
Old Dec 29th 2015, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Katandjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the same, but I think a lot of the people have grown up together etc. So it makes it harder to meet people.
Don't get me wrong I don't mind my own company but nice to have a cuppa and a natter or a glass of wine or 2 with friends.
I really hope your persistence pays off.
We r in the same boat as u.
We lived in NZ for nearly 8 years we've been back in the UK for two. There were lots of reasons we left nz earthquakes missed family and my husband thought life was better in the UK.
We owned a house outright in NZ our kids were happy and enjoyed it there.
Since being on the UK we cannot get a mortgage to buy a house our children miss the NZ way of life, and my husband and I both work long hours to to pay bills. I'm glad we came back to experience the UK again. My husband now realises that NZ wasn't that bad!!!!!
We are looking to move back at the end of the year to a new place and fresh start! But this is the last move we do!!!
Old Dec 29th 2015, 6:57 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katandjon1
We lived in NZ for nearly 8 years we've been back in the UK for two. There were lots of reasons we left nz earthquakes missed family and my husband thought life was better in the UK.
Since being on the UK we cannot get a mortgage to buy a house our children miss the NZ way of life, and my husband and I both work long hours to to pay bills. I'm glad we came back to experience the UK again. My husband now realises that NZ wasn't that bad!!!!!
We are looking to move back at the end of the year to a new place and fresh start! But this is the last move we do!!!
We are returning to the UK in May after 8+ years in Auckland. May I Ask why you were unable to secure a mortgage after 2 years?

We are on good $$$ here but no way can we afford a property that is commutable to where our jobs are, but would be looking to buy in the UK after a year or so
Old Dec 29th 2015, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I think timing is very important when moving. Economy, house prices, exchange rate. If you would have moved back to the UK earlier, or maybe even a different area, you would have been able to afford a house and things would have been different. Some people just wait too long and by the time they decide to move, things might have got worse in the country they are moving back to. Now house prices have gone up in New Zealand again and lending might be stricter etc.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
We are returning to the UK in May after 8+ years in Auckland. May I Ask why you were unable to secure a mortgage after 2 years?

We are on good $$$ here but no way can we afford a property that is commutable to where our jobs are, but would be looking to buy in the UK after a year or so
My partner is self employed and heading to fifty im not on a great wage either hence why we can't get a mortgage.
The UK has changed a lot in 8 years house prices are very expensive and things have changed alot.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

My partner is self employed and heading to fifty im not on a great wage either hence why we can't get a mortgage.
The UK has changed a lot in 8 years house prices are very expensive and things have changed alot.
So actually at a time when anyone would struggle to get a mortgage! Where are you in the UK?
I was in NZ for six years...Im happy every day I moved back.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
So actually at a time when anyone would struggle to get a mortgage! Where are you in the UK?
I was in NZ for six years...Im happy every day I moved back.
I'm in the South of England where are you? My kids love having the family around and that's what I live about being back by the struggling day to day is hard when I know it's easier for us in NZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.