Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we come to Auckland for a week before deciding?

Should we come to Auckland for a week before deciding?

Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we come to Auckland for a week before deciding?

I was brought up in the South Island and had never visited Auckland before I departed NZ for my OE in UK - which went on much longer than planned. Twenty years later, when returning to NZ, my one dread was that I was going to have to live in the dreadful JAFA-land that I had heard so much bad stuff about. Eight years of living in Auckland area later on, I have no desire to move anywhere else. This is a fantastic place to live and raise a family and I have no idea why South Islanders (including my old self) feel the need to slag off Auckland so much. Tall poppy syndrome?
I'm really glad that people love living in Dunedin, or Christchurch (where I went to school), or Greymouth, or wherever. But that doesn't make Auckland a bad place
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:26 am
Just Joined

inky78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did managed to do it in a week, though I will conceed the company took on a large proportion of this cost. OH did some wandering around looking at areas etc. But I had already spent a lot of time researching on the internet before so was just a case of double checking things. The best advice I could give is though, that if you know someone who lives in Auckland (or NZ if not specifically Auckland) then ask lots of questions. Also browse around on here as you'll get a feeling for things.
I think that until you live somewhere it always feels a bit like a holiday.Though as soon as you do there never seems to be enough time to do everything you'd like.
For myself I love living in Auckland, as does my OH. She managed to find a teaching job quickly which helped her to settle.
Wish you all the best for the future
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I I have no idea why South Islanders (including my old self) feel the need to slag off Auckland so much. Tall poppy syndrome?
No. Not that at all, I feel. Although I have nothing else to offer on this. It is something else that drives some to behave in this way. Maybe the need to 'belong' where-ever they are ?
Barnsleymatt excepted as he has experienced both and his move was for house prices I believe.

I live on the South Island and feel no need to knock Auckland or those that live there. Nor those that live in the frozen South.

< hedging my bets>

Why on earth would you ? Beats me.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

bdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated. I think based on this I will skip coming for the week. We had done extensive research and have family in Auckland and Wellington. OH has 3rd interview for the same job tomorrow, so we will see!