Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should I bring my car?

Should I bring my car?

Old May 16th 2015, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I bring my car?

8-9000 pounds is around 18000 dollars
You can buy a 2010 mini one for around 25k
Find out what its going to cost to ship it out, it'll be a fair bit less
than the 6000 pounds someone else has said.
Add to that insurance and the cost if getting it vined and rego'd once its here.
It'll probably cost you more to ship it than to buy a replacement here.
Old May 17th 2015, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I recall reading on here somewhere a link to where you could just get the relevant no. of days car registration to see you over to the new pricing... but I can't find it now? Could someone do me a favour and show me the link again please? Cheers
Old May 17th 2015, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

Originally Posted by Justcol
8-9000 pounds is around 18000 dollars
You can buy a 2010 mini one for around 25k
Find out what its going to cost to ship it out, it'll be a fair bit less
than the 6000 pounds someone else has said.
Add to that insurance and the cost if getting it vined and rego'd once its here.
It'll probably cost you more to ship it than to buy a replacement here.
Shipping container to fit the car in is £6000. You could fit household goods in there too though.

Mind, with a mini, it will probably fit in the shorter container. Be a lot less room for furniture and stuff though then.

So even with shorter container its like £3500, plus ~£1200 to put it on the road in NZ.

You could also use something like:http://www.carshipping.co.uk/australia-shipping-cost-calculator/

They ship to NZ too, but I don't think companies like that container your car, and it might be exposed to the elements at sea for 6 weeks.

Worth looking into though, it might help you figure out all the costs better.
Old May 17th 2015, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
I recall reading on here somewhere a link to where you could just get the relevant no. of days car registration to see you over to the new pricing... but I can't find it now? Could someone do me a favour and show me the link again please? Cheers
Minimum is 3 months as far as I know then day by day up to 12 months.

You can only renew by full months (3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) via the online NZTA portal. To renew up to a specific date you must ring up or do it at the counter in an NZTA approved office - e.g. a qualifying post shop or AA shop etc.
Old May 19th 2015, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McLeod
Shipping container to fit the car in is £6000. You could fit household goods in there too though.
it would cost around 1000 pound to ship the car on its own not 6k,
Old May 19th 2015, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

Originally Posted by Justcol
it would cost around 1000 pound to ship the car on its own not 6k,
That's out of container isn't it? Like exposed to the elements the entire way. Would that not mean more hassle at NZ customs end?
Old May 19th 2015, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond repute

I looked quickly and the approx cost is about £1500... But I'm not sure if that is in a container or not? My household items came out at £2700 in a shared container so will need to also see how much extra it would be for a car in a bigger container. And then actually decide if I'm better off actually buying a new one when I get there or bring mine
Old May 19th 2015, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrsbrightside7
I looked quickly and the approx cost is about £1500... But I'm not sure if that is in a container or not? My household items came out at £2700 in a shared container so will need to also see how much extra it would be for a car in a bigger container. And then actually decide if I'm better off actually buying a new one when I get there or bring mine
The £6000 figure I mentioned is an estimate for what I found with a larger container to fit both your household goods and your car in. It doesent include insurance or the cost of getting through customs.

If you find a better deal, please post back and let me know as I'll be doing the same thing soon.
Old May 20th 2015, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by McLeod
That's out of container isn't it? Like exposed to the elements the entire way. Would that not mean more hassle at NZ customs end?
I have no idea, but its not as if they just strap it to the deck and leave it.
It'll be no different to taking it to France, below decks. As long as
Its properly cleaned before loading it won't be a hassle.
Hundreds of used cars come into nz every week like this from japan.
That also includes insurance
Old May 23rd 2015, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

BMW Mini Cooper MAY SPECIAL PRICE $19990 2010 | Trade Me

2010. $20k. Leave it at home.

PS manuals (unless they are sports cars) are not sought after in NZ. I had real trouble selling a small and unsporty manual here. Like the US cars here are favoured for being auto. Manual cars are few and far between..and you save all the aggro of shipping it which can be fraught with problems. I recall a chap moving his RS Octavia here, and a fork lift!!!!! which was moving it damaged it in Wellington. Not a clever or recommended way to shift motors.

Last edited by Genesis; May 23rd 2015 at 5:09 am.
Old May 26th 2015, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Firestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura about

no will cost you a fortune to put it on the road here . better to sell in the uk and use the money to keep warm in the winter .......you,ll need it ,,,
Old May 26th 2015, 7:20 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Firestorm333
no will cost you a fortune to put it on the road here . better to sell in the uk and use the money to keep warm in the winter .......you,ll need it ,,,
Nice to see you are still with us....
Old May 26th 2015, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Firestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Nice to see you are still with us....
Still here , dreaming of gas central heating and the radiators of course