Reload this Page >

Shipping Multiple Cars

Shipping Multiple Cars

Old Nov 16th 2017, 7:26 am
Just Joined

skanwar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Multiple Cars

Hi All

First of all thank you for having such an informative and helpful forum. It is a great help to people like me who want to make a new start in New Zealand.

Me and my wife with our kids 6 and 2 are arriving in December on Permanent Resident Visa. We are going to ship Household goods and both our cars next week. However i just realized that both cars are registered under my name. Now the obvious question is that would the customs allow the waiver of GST on both cars as both are used by Me and my Wife, or i have to pay GST on one.

thanks in advance

Regards
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Multiple Cars

as long as you can show that you have owned them for more than a year you shouldn't have to pay gst on it. you also have to keep them in NZ for a certain amount of years before you don't have to pay some tax back to customs. the cost goes down yearly and think its about 5 years but things might of changed since we bought our car over. Your shipper should know the answers to these questions.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:33 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

See the customs fact sheet:

https://www.customs.govt.nz/globalas...le-imports.pdf

It refers to the import exemption on "...a motor vehicle, motorcycle, and/or small ship..." so implies a singular vehicle per individual arriving. You would need to check with customs directly as to their interpretation of two people with two vehicles previously registered to one of them.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

skanwar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi .. Thanks for the input... the document also mentions that
" It is possible to claim the concession for more than one vehicle, motorcycle, or boat, provided all the conditions set out below can be met in respect of each item for which duty (GST) free entry is sought."

I have checked with the shipping company as well and they said all it needs is the vehicles to be registered for over 1 year on my name.

so fingers crossed...
Old Nov 17th 2017, 7:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we contacted aa.co.nz who asked us for the following:
Can you please tell me:

Make
Model
Type of fuel (petrol/diesel)
Date of first registration
How long you have owned it
Expected port of entry in NZ

Can you also send me a picture of the EC Type approval plate (see attachment) and perhaps a copy of the V5? We are looking for the approval number which starts with the letter ā€œeā€. This approval number tells us if your car meets some or hopefully all of the required standards. Once I know what we are dealing with, I can advise you if you need to get more information or evidence.

As an immigrant to NZ, you may meet the criteria for an immigrant exemption. This would allow the entry-certification without having o meet the frontal impact and the emission standard. All other standards have to be met.

so maybe email them asking if the vehicle would pass the requirements