Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping companies from UK -Pickfords or PSS

Shipping companies from UK -Pickfords or PSS

Old Oct 20th 2016, 11:46 am
Just Joined

elm16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping companies from UK -Pickfords or PSS

Has anyone used Pickfords recently and had a positive experience? Their quote for a 40ft container with vehicle is almost £1k less than PSS but they have such terrible reviews online that I'm hesitant to use them!
Old Oct 20th 2016, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping companies from UK -Pickfords or PSS

We used PSS.
Didn't like the Pickfords rep. Felt they were cutting corners to give the best deal.
We had no problems with PSS. Not the cheapest but the cheapest isn't usually the best option.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

We used Pickfords in 2014. Couldn't fault the two guys who packed our stuff. Nothing was broken when it arrived in NZ. Two boxes did go missing though, luckily it was only towels and bedding. Pickfords paid for replacements.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

Prices seem to vary wildly, we've had one from Bonner's that was less but PSS matched, it, interestingly one was more exp on household and the other more on Vehicle - so tempting to split them lol!
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:47 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

have you looked at the insurance. Lytton Percival is good and lots have used them on here
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
have you looked at the insurance. Lytton Percival is good and lots have used them on here
Yes it's extortionate! Haha
We have 4.5k just for one household container then 2 x vehicles (an old VW and hubby's truck!)
Did consider roro or the ro-rack but I worry about hidden costs!

Insurance usually 3% but we got that halved
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We got Pickfords to match Letton Percival - no problem.

Pickfords have an office in Wellington so it was easy to visit and sort out delivery etc. PSS subcontract their delivery so it's more hit and miss. People who used PSS had to pay extra MAF fees etc. whereas we paid nothing more with Pickfords for inspection or delivery. Check what's included carefully so that you're not stung for extra fees once you get here.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
We used PSS.
Didn't like the Pickfords rep. Felt they were cutting corners to give the best deal.
We had no problems with PSS. Not the cheapest but the cheapest isn't usually the best option.
Thanks. Good to know you didn't have any problems with PSS
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MOSO
We got Pickfords to match Letton Percival - no problem.

Pickfords have an office in Wellington so it was easy to visit and sort out delivery etc. PSS subcontract their delivery so it's more hit and miss. People who used PSS had to pay extra MAF fees etc. whereas we paid nothing more with Pickfords for inspection or delivery. Check what's included carefully so that you're not stung for extra fees once you get here.
Thanks MOSO. My quote from Pickfords doesn't seem to include the inspection or delivery so perhaps they've changed the costs they include. Good point though, it does seem that if we go with either Pickfords or PSS there will be quite a few extra charges to pay in NZ
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wakwak
Prices seem to vary wildly, we've had one from Bonner's that was less but PSS matched, it, interestingly one was more exp on household and the other more on Vehicle - so tempting to split them lol!
Thanks WAKWAK. One of the selling points we've found for PSS is that they will load the vehicle at our home, Pickfords and Crown would require us to deliver the car to their depot. I'm hoping PSS will come down a bit in price, am yet to discuss the insurance price with them as was intending to use Letton Percival but might try PSS instead now and see what they will do
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

I don't think any ever include MAF fees etc as they won't know what wants treating until it lands.

We've been advised to clean and label everything, use the approved disinfectant and don't cut corners with Outdoor stuff.

So expensive for a container!!
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Our quote from Crown did actually include £400-£500 for MAF fees to cover the vehicle and household goods, while it would be nice to know that we wouldn't be hit with these on arrival in NZ, as you say it's impossible to know how much they would actually be so I suspect Crown are overcompensating!

Re your vehicles are you steam cleaning them? Yhe Crown rep advised me not to bother as he said MAF will always require it to be done again in NZ, PSS and Pickfords advise to do ahead of shipping so I'm not sure what to do
Old Oct 24th 2016, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by elm16
Our quote from Crown did actually include £400-£500 for MAF fees to cover the vehicle and household goods, while it would be nice to know that we wouldn't be hit with these on arrival in NZ, as you say it's impossible to know how much they would actually be so I suspect Crown are overcompensating!

Re your vehicles are you steam cleaning them? Yhe Crown rep advised me not to bother as he said MAF will always require it to be done again in NZ, PSS and Pickfords advise to do ahead of shipping so I'm not sure what to do
We were told to save about $500 for the MAF fees.
How competitive were Crown? We are looking about £9k inc insurance and it's feeling painful! A bit less if we use LP but I think their vehicle cover is limited.

We were told to clean it well but don't pay for an expensive professional clean as it's likely to be done anyway.
The advice was the cleaner you can get everything the better.

I'm dreading working out all the extra charges at the other end, there are so many on top of the shipping it's a bit complicated!
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

We were told to save about $500 for the MAF fees.
How competitive were Crown? We are looking about £9k inc insurance and it's feeling painful! A bit less if we use LP but I think their vehicle cover is limited.

We were told to clean it well but don't pay for an expensive professional clean as it's likely to be done anyway.
The advice was the cleaner you can get everything the better.

I'm dreading working out all the extra charges at the other end, there are so many on top of the shipping it's a bit complicated!
Crown were the most expensive though have lowered their price a bit for me so are now probably slightly less than PSS when you take into account that Crown are including MAF charges. Their charges in NZ though are much higher for storage, and I haven't yet negotiated with PSS so I'm hopeful they will lower their quote to get closer to Pickfords.

Yes it's certainly expensive and complicated, I don't want to think about how much it's going to all be once we add in insurance and then all those extra costs at the other end!
Old Oct 25th 2016, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think any ever include MAF fees etc as they won't know what wants treating until it lands.
We definitely had the MAF inspection included in the price with Pickfords as it was done at the port (or maybe their warehouse), we certainly never had anything to do with it. If we'd needed anything treated then we would have paid extra. By the time the boxes were delivered a couple of them had MAF tape on to show they'd been opened.

I'm pretty sure Mrs F used PSS and ended up having to pay for MAF to inspect their boxes as PSS sub contract their work at this end, so they don't end up in the same warehouse like they do with Pickfords who they have their own offices/delivery company.

Just make sure you check what's included which ever company you use. I don't think Crown subcontract either. It was a while ago that we came and we didn't bring a car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.