Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping a cat to NZ - costs and recommendations?

Shipping a cat to NZ - costs and recommendations?

Old Jul 30th 2014, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

smiler000 has a spectacular aura aboutsmiler000 has a spectacular aura aboutsmiler000 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Shipping a cat to NZ - costs and recommendations?

Hello lovely forumites!
I am hoping to return to NZ next year with a husband and kitty in tow this time! our kitty is a brave and chilled soul who I hope will not find the trip too daunting and we can't imagine leaving him behind, so I wanted to hear of any companies you guys recommend for shipping pets? And also to hear how much it cost (if you dont mind sharing!) I hear Golden Arrow are really good..

Thanks for all your help!
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shipping a cat to NZ - costs and recommendations?

Hi there. We used Airpets, who charged us 1700 for our cat. This included:

Freight
I.A.T.A. Air Travel Container(s)
Airline Handling Fees - UK side
Delivery from Airpets to Airport
Import permit
DEFRA Export Cert inc. 96 hour Paraciticide (inc. 2nd Worming/Flea Treatment)
Sealing of Air Kennel(s) by Airport Vet
Owners declaration
Boarding - 1 days duration
Collection From U.K. Residence (We changed our mind and had my in-laws drop the cat at Airpets and that saved us around 500 quid.)
Customs Entries UK

We had to cover

Customs / Airline Handling Fee Paid Upon Arrival In Destination Airport
Application for Quarantine space & Quarantine Fees
Microchip Identification
1st Frontline treatment within 30days of Export
1st Worming Treatment within 30 days of Export
RABIES Vaccine & Rabies Blood test Required for Cats & Dogs
Vaccinations:Cats-Feline Enteritis and Feline Flu, more than 14 days

We're in Wellington and used a great quarantine cattery near Levin called ShadoLans. Highly recommended.

Good luck.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

We are still in the UK but we've been quoted £1,500 to £1,700 per cat too. You need to talk to your vet ASAP about the rabies as it has to be done six months before you can bring your cat over. I hear one story where the cat had to stay in cattery for six months as owner got a short notice offer and had to go to NZ then wait for rabies shots to be done before cat could follow.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:51 pm
Pilottinker

pilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to behold

We did it from USA to NZ . Lots of little hiccups but it was worth it. I can't even remember some of the drama now but very glad we did it. Good Luck
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Coleyheb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there I used Golden Arrow a couple of years ago to ship my dog to Christchurch. There were very helpful and had no problems at all with them.
Their costs excludes all the customs, MAFF, Vet and Quarantine costs at the NZ End, but Golden Arrow helped me to get these listed so I could collate costs. I liaised with the quarantine facility direct on their charges.
Note also about the rabies vac in the post above.
My main stresses were getting all the vets tests, vacs etc lined up for the required dates prior to shipping, they are quite specific
Good Luck!
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I left my cat in the UK. I found a foster family who lived out in the country, they were managers of a retirement home. I considered that to be the best option for all.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ping Pong Pom is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Golden Arrow to fly out my 3 cats and had no problems at all. I found them very friendly and helpful and I think the cost was £2,600 for the 3. We're all back in the UK at the moment but will certainly be happy to use GA again when we return to NZ. >^^<
Old Aug 4th 2014, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
I left my cat in the UK. I found a foster family who lived out in the country, they were managers of a retirement home. I considered that to be the best option for all.

Sensible solution.

$3,000 - $3,400 to bring a cat over....maybe I've just lived in NZ too long... but that's a heck of a lot of money.

Gill
Old Aug 6th 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

I too am planning on rehoming my cats. Firstly because there are two of them, and secondly - I don't think they will actually care as long as they are getting fed!

It will break my heart to give them away, but I feel it's the most sensible solution for me, and I'd much rather spend that money on something else.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this thread, I've just booked our two boys in for their annual vaccinations and to take the first steps towards sorting out their passports and rabies shots.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Kiwicouliscat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I also have had quotes of similar amounts.
But I understand they can be tailored to you doing things off your own back if you are in that frame of mind.

My cat has a EU pet passport already what I'm finding more pressing at the moment is getting her used to the crate. You can find cheaper approved crates online they have to be sealed on 3 sides, could,consider checking the manufacturer name brand of your crate with the pet transporter if you buy the crate yourself.

I am still in the UK at the moment with around 7 months to go. When looking for a pet transporter make sure you get a breakdown of costs and it's all how you want it.

Yes it's expensive I agree but what else other than re homing can you do? You can't have them in the cabin you have to have them as freight and some airlines insist you use a transporter..

You can get documents for the UK export from DEFRA, for the NZ import from Biosecurity, they come with guidance documents.. Currently the export certificate is free of charge..

My understanding is (not exact science) - microchip then rabies, usual lot of 3 vaccinations, rabies titre test ( approved govt lab), parasites x4, 2 internal 2 external all with deadlines, 2 vets, one your own one at airport. May be a couple more NZ vaccinations I thnk I read on the import documents. Lots of paperwork final visit, cage sealing. Before you leave.

I found a friendly quarantine place in Auckland. Get a quote for the 10 days then I'd consider booking your quarantine place with your flight date inside the 10 days window for export. The import paperwork needs to be with them 6 weeks ahead so,work backwards from your dept date .. Confused yet? I am and feel daunted by all this.
But when I look at this little monkey I feel better...

Good idea to take the pet to the transporter, I will look into it, did you do that the day before leaving and stayed at airport ?

Cat can't be sedated but I believe there is leeway in finding a calming remedy...

At the moment I'm stuck on getting to the airport the day before and to take the cat to the pet transporters as you suggest.
I have no family here at all and when you ask for help everyone else seems suddenly busy..

I hope some of this is of help to you.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiwicouliscat
Hi I also have had quotes of similar amounts.
Cat can't be sedated but I believe there is leeway in finding a calming remedy...
One of the transporters we spoke to sprays all the bedding with Feliway to help sooth anxious cats.

Don't use your favourite jumper or their favourite bed for travel either unless you're happy for it to be thrown away as I think all cage contents are discarded when the cat arrives in NZ.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ping Pong Pom is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI...I'm sure most transporters do the same, but when I sent 3 to NZ via Golden Arrow, they collected the cats from my local cattery, as I left before the cats. They sorted all paperwork and final vet checks etc. I just made sure their annual vaccinations and rabies jabs were up to date - they did the rest. At the Kiwi end, the cats were collected from Auckland, as you don't have access to them at the airport. They're taken into quarantine straight away for 10 days and anything in the crate thats travelled with them, such as their toys or something with your scent on (maybe a sock?), is destroyed. I actually made sure I took a couple of favourite toys with my in my suitcase, to make sure there was something familiar waiting for them when they arrived. Apart from a good ear-bashing all the way home when I picked them up from the quarantine centre, there were no ill-effects at all. Oh, and you can visit them during quarantine, though I decided not to, as it would have upset me to leave them behind.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:37 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I love cats but they are not like dogs and I don't think they give a toss if they have something that smells of you in the crate with them.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

We were at the vets this morning and the two boys micro chips they have are OK for NZ rules and are still where they were initially injected so easily readable.

They are having their normal boosters and we're back in three weeks for initial rabies vaccination although vet mentioned the rules changed for Australia very recently so my have changed for NZ. He's going to give DEFRA a call on Monday and check for us.

He's recommended a transported who is only two hours from us, there would be an internal UK flight to London then probably a Lindon to Dubai, Dubai to Australia then Australia to Auckland. The boys would probably be out into carry pens for a while at each swap over point to allow them to leg stretch, pee and for the crates to be 'refreshed'

Transporter is a retired vet so would help oversee all the worming, flea, tick and other tests that need to be done prior to departure as well as assist with entry paperwork for NZ.

On the pony front the vet confirmed what we've been finding, it's probably better to PTS than rehome them as things are so dire for ponies round my way. Looks like they'll be coming with us too then <gulp>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.