She'll be right?

Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:48 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute
Default She'll be right?

I've read this phrase many times on this forum but not really understood what it might mean. I think I am maybe starting to appreciate what it might mean though..

Is it like when you speak to teachers at the school and they seem fairly disinterested in what you have to say as it doesn't fit their narrow view?

Is it when someone at work asks you for feedback at work and you actually tell them how you feel only to find out that they didn't really want to know after all?

Is it when you feel as though anything you have to offer is not appreciated because it's not the way we do things round here?

Is it the baffling lack of progress people are making, despite the outward appearance of working incredibly hard and long hours?

Am I close?
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: She'll be right?

Don't worry, it's OK.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:17 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. OK that makes more sense..

Another thing then. The happiness graph on this page: https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/li...of-settling-in

Should I be worried if we are at the 18 month stage after only 3 months?
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Takes three years for the fog to clear
Old Dec 16th 2016, 3:01 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of kiwis think Brits are a bit uptight. Not sure if that helps with the context.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 5:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jmh
A lot of kiwis think Brits are a bit uptight.
Is that a *sweeping statement alert* .I hope so.

As I also hope that my pals do not secretly think that TBH.

No-one that I know says this phrase but I think it means
1 - Who gives a poop really
2 - It will be OK
3 - It will work out
4 - Don't sweat it.
or a good old-fashioned phrase
5 - It will come out in the wash.

As for the happiness graph. Just pass on by. It is silly. Everyones mileage differs.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:37 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
No-one that I know says this phrase
seriously??! I know lots of people that say it and mostly to us, being Brits I suppose.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

'She'll be right' does not necessarily need to be said as such, it's more an attitude of not giving a rats arse, and passing the buck, not my problem I'll leave it for someone else to pick up the pieces and deal with the aftermath. It probably does cover off most of the examples that you mentioned.

I find Kiwi women feature very highly among some of the most uptight people I have ever had to deal with in my whole life.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 8:34 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

I find Kiwi women feature very highly among some of the most uptight people I have ever had to deal with in my whole life.
Hell yeah !

It's quite telling now that I'm back in Britain how civil, friendly and laid back British people are compared to New Zealanders.

I've just been upgraded to equal, especially at work, which is what I thought would happen.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 11:43 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
I've read this phrase many times on this forum but not really understood what it might mean. I think I am maybe starting to appreciate what it might mean though..

Is it like when you speak to teachers at the school and they seem fairly disinterested in what you have to say as it doesn't fit their narrow view?

Is it when someone at work asks you for feedback at work and you actually tell them how you feel only to find out that they didn't really want to know after all?

Is it when you feel as though anything you have to offer is not appreciated because it's not the way we do things round here?

Is it the baffling lack of progress people are making, despite the outward appearance of working incredibly hard and long hours?

Am I close?
Nope! Its bravado. If you cant see it for what it is, then you will never get it.

It is a double edged sword, but you use very poor examples.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn

Am I close?

Wasn't it only 5 minutes ago you were making big plans to come over.
You've not been here a year yet and you're whinging already
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:43 pm
Welly bound

Originally Posted by Justcol
Wasn't it only 5 minutes ago you were making big plans to come over.
You've not been here a year yet and you're whinging already
I'm having settling issues, is that OK with you?? Obviously not.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
seriously??!
Yis. I don't recall ever actually hearing anyone say this.

I'll ask MrBEVS if he hears it on the assorted building sites.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 4:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly an Aussie saying, gets trotted out all the time here.

Basically it means 'I'm all right Jack so I'm not going to worry about the state of the country/my kids education/law and order or any other part of life.'

'She'll be right' means someone else will fixit eventually so why should I care.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Mainly an Aussie saying, gets trotted out all the time here.

Basically it means 'I'm all right Jack so I'm not going to worry about the state of the country/my kids education/law and order or any other part of life.'

'She'll be right' means someone else will fixit eventually so why should I care.
I thought the standard Aussie saying was "no worries mate"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.