Scrimper City

Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Scrimper City

Get friendly with the English lady that keeps hens and a pair of ducks in the hope of.....
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

I've just been down to Bunnings to price a new cupboard door handle at $42 per pair, I decided to ask if they stocked the broken springs as an alternative...and yes indeed at $1.98 each. I've just saved $40. Fitted and works a treat.

Greed/Scrimp I chop the top of the milk containers and use for plant pots, they will not break if a frost either.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Have decided it's back to basics for us and aiming for a Frugal February, spending only where absolutely necessary.

So I have planned my menu, did shopping list accordingly and spent just $67.08 in Pak & Save and $24.97 in Fruit World. That's an incredibly cheap week and relies on using up stuff I already have in; note nearly $100 gone still and there's not much protein. I have 12 eggs in fridge and planning to make quiche with spinach and cheese.

2 x Danish Pastries $2.99
2 x Lettuce $5.50
2 x Tins Chopped Tomatoes $1.98
Apples (1kg Bag little ones) $3.99
Avocado (1) $1.99
Baby Spinach $3.29
Basil $2.99
Bread (Sliced) $2.99
Bread Rolls (4) $3.20
Butternut Squash $1.97
Carrots 0.66kg $1.99
Chicken Thighs (4) $8.90
Coriander $0.99
Corn on Cobs (2) $1.78
Cucumber $1.99
Farmhouse Slaw (450g) $3.79
Feta Cheese 200g $3.29
Foil 10m $2.99
Huntley & Palmer Lite / Crispbread $1.99
Jam 375g $2.89
Milk Budget 2L $3.45
Nectarines (Bag 600g) $2.99
Pams Pine Nuts $4.79
Pams Toilet Cleaner $2.85
Pickled Pork (2 slices from deli counter) $3.22
Red Pepper (bag 5 titchy ones) $3.99
Rocket $2.99
Surf Washing Powder 1kg $3.99
Tomatoes $2.29
Total $92.05

The cakes are a long-standing Friday night treat, cos we likes to live the high life. On reflection it was a stupid idea to buy pine nuts and basil to make pesto so that I can use up parmesan cheese that's been hanging around in the fridge since Christmas. I'll blame Jamie Oliver for that lapse of frugal thinking.

Now the real test, lets see if I can be a superscrimper and last the week without going to shops again.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon you can't give us the shopping list and not tell us what your menu is!

Does that include lunches and do you have a coffee addiction to feed?
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:20 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, BJ, I feel your pain! We are hitting the skids a bit and need a few frugal months too

I love how the first thing on your list is the pastries - frugal always needs to commiserating
Old Jan 31st 2014, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
C'mon you can't give us the shopping list and not tell us what your menu is!

Does that include lunches and do you have a coffee addiction to feed?
Mostly I only think in terms of dinners and make do with whatever there is for lunches. Have plenty of rice, pasta and cous cous and stacks of tins of tuna so likely some combination of these and salad will do me for lunches. My freezer (tiny two drawers) is rammed full and contains some old buried treasures; there's some bacon I split out into usable portions from massive 1kg pack over the holidays and ham saved from Xmas, a few steaks bought on special, and the usual staples including a loaf of bread, pitta bread, some crumpets, peas, sweetcorn and some fruit berry mix.

Have cereals, muesli and yoghurt and fruit for breakfast. I don't cater much for Mr Bs lunch he's out and about and fends for himself from Subway and the likes. Usually on the weekends we have more substantial brekkie later in the morning and no lunch; then most likely I'll make a cake or muffins or something for afternoon tea and to fill in any gaps.

So here's the plan:

Fri - Pickled Pork, Rolls, Coleslaw and Salad
Sat - Steak from freezer, corn cobs and potato wedges
Sun - Salmon fillet (very old and in the freezer), new potatoes and salad
Mon - Chicken thighs, coleslaw and sauted new potatoes (saved from Sunday)
Tue - Homemade feta cheese & spinach pie or flan
Wed - Bolognese (made week before last and frozen)
Thurs - is Waitangi day so we will be at home and I am thinking I will make curry with butternut squash, chickpeas, coriander, spinach and whatever else I can find in freezer. I'd be happy to keep it veggie but that wouldn't do for Mr B.

I can take or leave the coffees and generally wouldn't go off my own bat or out of my way to get one; so if invited I will go for coffee to be sociable and catch up on gossip.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 5:54 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Scrimper City

Buy a first class airline ticket, eat free : http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/28/man-ea...icket-4280113/
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Buy a first class airline ticket, eat free : http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/28/man-ea...icket-4280113/
I'm a little bit in awe!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:59 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in an expensive area, travel to a cheap area to do your shopping. I'm constantly amazed at how much people pay here for goods in the shops and services that are much cheaper out here in South Auckland. By the way, school 'donations' are much lower in these areas and often the schools are just as good.

If you live in a regional or rural area a trip to the big smoke might save you $$$. A friend in Hamilton saved $3000 on a car by travelling up to Manukau.

Factory/Outlet shops are big here. This is a Herald article with a few in
Auckland: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=10790925

Google for other parts of the country. I know Bendon (bras and knickers) have them all over the place with really good prices.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:00 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Also, ask local people where they buy things. People will love to be able to help and you'll get the inside gen on the best places. I'm lucky I had family to advise, but just ask.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Originally Posted by jmh
If you live in an expensive area, travel to a cheap area to do your shopping. I'm constantly amazed at how much people pay here for goods in the shops and services that are much cheaper out here in South Auckland. By the way, school 'donations' are much lower in these areas and often the schools are just as good.

If you live in a regional or rural area a trip to the big smoke might save you $$$. A friend in Hamilton saved $3000 on a car by travelling up to Manukau.

Factory/Outlet shops are big here. This is a Herald article with a few in
Auckland: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=10790925

Google for other parts of the country. I know Bendon (bras and knickers) have them all over the place with really good prices.
Agree, Buying anything in South Aucks was a lot cheaper, used to get my petrol in Papatoetoe for about 15cents a litre cheaper than the CBD or Pukekohe.

Paknsave appears to cater to its market, more affluent areas = higher costs.

The local markets are great for fruit and veges especially Otara Markets.

Shoped fro clothes at Onehunga dressmart.

As for schools from what ive read, decile scores have little to do with actual levels of educational attainment and more to do with funding and the income of those who live in the areas. Saying that I used to get on the train at middlemore ( I went north and south many times) and the kids from kings going north with their macbooks were well behaved and the other kids with no shoes and torn manky looking uniforms going south were foul mouthed little shites.

Take from that what you will.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:11 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen256
I'm a little bit in awe!
The guy is genius.

At university I used to keep branded refill cups in the car and just walk in to refill them instead of buying soft drinks. The dispensers face away from the counter and as long as you walk in at a busy time everyone is behind the counters anyay. Also it's unlikely someone paid $10 an hour (or whatever rate passes for paying people in the fast food trade these days ) would confront you even if they knew.

Edit: Also as posted on another thread spend on your credit card but never pay for the rewards program by switching (or threaten to) every year.

It used to be the case you could get nearly free money as a student that you could then put into a savings account and earn interest. Basically it was an arbitrage, suppose it may still work.

Last edited by Charismatic; Feb 19th 2014 at 2:14 am.