Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RWC - Triumph or flop?

RWC - Triumph or flop?

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RWC - Triumph or flop?

FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFO OTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOT BALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBA LLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFO OTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOT BALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBA LLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFO OTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOT BALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBA LLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFO OTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOT BALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBA LLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFO OTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL
Enough of the "S' word
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 10:55 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFO OTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOT BALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBA LLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFO OTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOT BALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBA LLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFO OTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOT BALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBA LLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFO OTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOT BALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBA LLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL FOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFO OTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALLFOOTBALL
Enough of the "S' word
Another bit of theatrics in the box trying to milk a penalty - ya soccer sook!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Another bit of theatrics in the box trying to milk a penalty - ya soccer sook!
:curse:
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I'm an average 'Joe Soap' and I'd pay that to watch England play at Wembley in the first match of the World Cup including the opening ceremony.
I couldn't care less about the rugby but for a very brief and fleeting moment, I felt suckered in by all the hype and thought if there were still tickets available I might quite like to go to the opening ceremony see all the fireworks and join in the celebrations etc. $358 seemed maybe doable for that 'once in a lifetime experience', until you double it and it then your looking at $718 for two of us, add on the ticketing fees, the cost of drinks and eats and all the nightmare transport issues of getting there and back.

Sorry, no way Jose, reality kicked in and I just thought how stupid to pay all that for one night out to see a few fireworks. I mean, honestly how mad would I have to be to even consider paying all that to see Hayley Westenra and Dave Dobbyn sing a song or two. The opening ceremony is only for half an hour, I'm sure there will be a better view on the telly since most of it seems to be going on outside of Eden Park and down at the waterfront anyway.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 5:58 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

BJ there isn't a sport I can think of that isn't best seen on TV. Watching a rugby game from the stands you can only identify the player by the number on his back as he is generally too far away. Atmosphere....yes but at what price?
Sit in comfort and get the plonk out....
Old Sep 4th 2011, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

What are people only grumbling about the cost of the higher priced tickets ??

You can get tickets for England games for less the 100 bucks each.

I could have stayed at home and watched a few of the FA cup finals
I've been to and got a "better view" but nothing will beat being at wembley
when United beat Liverpool and stopped them winning the treble way back
in 1977. What a day, what a game and I WAS THERE

Last edited by Justcol; Sep 4th 2011 at 6:21 am.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 6:35 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol

You have to remember Rugby Union has only recently turned from an unpaid sport to a professional conflict hence supporters are not used to paying more than a couple of pounds to get a seat. Soccer supporters are used to being ripped off every Saturday whilst we are not....
Old Sep 4th 2011, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

in 1976. What a day, what a game and I WAS THERE
Didn't Utd lose at Wembley in 76'
Old Sep 4th 2011, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Well said, kiwis seem to be armchair fans. The worse kind of fan.

Just been able to say 'I was there' is priceless.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Well said, kiwis seem to be armchair fans. The worse kind of fan.

Just been able to say 'I was there' is priceless.
Sorry Barnsleymat but you are not making sense... You say you are a Barnsley FC supporter/fan but live in NZ and then you say....

kiwis seem to be armchair fans. The worse kind of fan

Does this make you a Kiwi....
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Sorry Barnsleymat but you are not making sense... You say you are a Barnsley FC supporter/fan but live in NZ and then you say....

kiwis seem to be armchair fans. The worse kind of fan

Does this make you a Kiwi....
I've always said people should support their local side, I'm seriously looking forward to supporting Waitakere United who have ex Barnsley player Martin Bullock and I'll be trying to get to see the All Whites featuring 4 ex Barnsley players. Fallon, Bertis, Christie and Mulligan.

I've even started writing some new chants
Old Sep 4th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Didn't Utd lose at Wembley in 76'
Spotted my error when I'd made the post.

Yes we did lose to southampton in 76 but we did win it in 77,83,85,90,94,96,99,04
Old Sep 4th 2011, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Q.How many countries attempted to qualify?

Answer: Between April 2008 and July 2010, 184 matches involving 86 nations played qualifying matches before the final 20 teams were found.
Hardly an indication of the worldwide depth of the game, looking at the teams that had to qualify from the wiki, only one (Samoa) must have a chance of beating any of the auto qualifiers in the real thing, and they one played one team in the extensive qualification - a play off which they won 115-7 and 73-12!

NZ's 20th best team could probably have comfortably qualified in some of the groups.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:33 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
.....NZ's 20th best team could probably have comfortably qualified in some of the groups.
Gotta agree, is there any worldwide information on sports by participation??
All I could find from Wiki Answers was this (so I added a bit)

1) Football: 3.3-3.5 billion fans (Europe, Africa, Asia, Americas, etc.)
2) Cricket: 2-3 billion fans (India, UK, Pakistan, Asia, Australia, etc.)
3) Field hockey: 2-2.2 billion fans (Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia)
4) Tennis: Around 1 billion fans (Europe, Americas, Asia)
5) Volleyball: Around 900 million fans (Asia, Europe, Americas, Australia)
6) Table tennis: Around 900 million fans (Asia, Europe, Africa, Americas)
7) Baseball: Around 500 million fans (US, Japan, Cuba, Korea, Dominican Republic)
8) Golf: Around 400 million fans mainly in carts (US, Canada, Europe)
9) Gridiron (American football): 390-410 million fans (US mainly)
10) Basketball: Not more than 400 million fans (US, Canada mainly)
99) Rugby (NOT football you fools!!): About 40 blokes and a dog in a windswept caketin (Europe, America's cold bits and some corned beef raising parts, Bits of Africa's nether regions, some islands that fell off Asia, Australia, Sundry Pacific Islands, Land of the Long White odd shaped balls)
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...#ixzz1X1ceypZB

Reckon qualifying for RWC is about 1000 times easier than for the FIFA world cup, you know the football one, not the rugby one.

There being about 10900 times more footie players than "egg-chasing th*gs" in the world.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by lardyl
Gotta agree, is there any worldwide information on sports by participation??
All I could find from Wiki Answers was this (so I added a bit)

Reckon qualifying for RWC is about 1000 times easier than for the FIFA world cup, you know the football one, not the rugby one.

There being about 10900 times more footie players than "egg-chasing th*gs" in the world.
You have confused players with spectators in that post.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.