Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK after 13 years < ad snipped>

Returning to the UK after 13 years < ad snipped>

Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Returning to the UK after 13 years < ad snipped>

Originally Posted by Rete
Would you ever entertain returning to NZ in the future? And if yes, did you naturalize to make the transition easier in the future?

Hi Rete.

Do you mean NZ citizenship? If for me then yes. We hold dual citizenship. UK and NZ.

If a visa status however is that of NZ permanent resident then in theory there should be no barriers to making an NZ return at any time.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by sarahw
Hi - sorry I've not been on here for a while and only just seen the messages.

Basically its only the 2 of us (and the dog!) and all our families are back in the UK. We decided to sell our place in Auckland as we were getting fed up of the maintenance and wanted to downsize. However we couldn't find anywhere further out of town where we wanted to live that I could take public transport to work (financial services) without spending hours commuting. After looking at other towns and trying to find nice places to rent with a dog (not willing to commit to buying initially) we just gave up looking.

We realised we wanted to do more travelling and could afford to go back to the UK for a few years, rent for a while plus spend more time with families.

So currently in the process of crate training the dog, decluttering and planning the move. 5 weeks to go!!!!

Hi Sarah - just wondering if the move back to the UK happened for you in the end and if you feel it has been the right move? We are hoping that my partners visa comes through in the next month or so and then we will be off!

b

Last edited by BtotheR; Oct 16th 2018 at 10:47 pm. Reason: missed a ?
Old Oct 17th 2018, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - yes we made the move back at the end of May. I tell you this year has really whizzed past in a blur! I'm still not sure if it was the right move mainly because my other half has really struggled with the move, even though we're living closer to his family than mine..or maybe that's the reason why

It's not been the easiest of transitions. We had a rental lined up which fell through 2 days before we were due to move in as the landlord changed his mind about having a dog there. That meant the 3 of us (inc dog) stayed in a relative's spare room for 2 months while we looked for an alternative. The place we've ended up renting is in a lovely location but isn't quite big enough but at least it's a roof over our heads while we house hunt. Job hunting also continues. I've had a couple of interviews for a role which would mean a lot of commuting so I'm really hanging out for something suitable more locally.

I think we'll both be more settled once we've got our own home and a job sorted out. I'm enjoying being back but occasionally have a pang for a wander along a sunny sandy beach. It'll be interesting to see how we both cope with a UK winter too so maybe ask me again in April!!!

Good luck with your move BToTheR
Old Oct 18th 2018, 9:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi - yes we made the move back at the end of May. I tell you this year has really whizzed past in a blur! I'm still not sure if it was the right move mainly because my other half has really struggled with the move, even though we're living closer to his family than mine..or maybe that's the reason why

It's not been the easiest of transitions. We had a rental lined up which fell through 2 days before we were due to move in as the landlord changed his mind about having a dog there. That meant the 3 of us (inc dog) stayed in a relative's spare room for 2 months while we looked for an alternative. The place we've ended up renting is in a lovely location but isn't quite big enough but at least it's a roof over our heads while we house hunt. Job hunting also continues. I've had a couple of interviews for a role which would mean a lot of commuting so I'm really hanging out for something suitable more locally.

I think we'll both be more settled once we've got our own home and a job sorted out. I'm enjoying being back but occasionally have a pang for a wander along a sunny sandy beach. It'll be interesting to see how we both cope with a UK winter too so maybe ask me again in April!!!

I'll be very interested. Perhaps make an update in the UK section. I'll look out for it.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Thanks Sarah - its been a year in the making so although we are chomping at the bit to get back to the UK I am aware that we are about to do a back to back winter which couldn't be helped due to complications with the house sale and then waiting for the other halfs visa as she is a kiwi - our daughter luckily is both.
Well today we got the visa through the post so my 13 year itch (probably 14 years now) has officially been scratched! Will be booking tickets for the next couple of weeks to join the cats that were shipped over a month ago to my parents. Fingers crossed there are no more hiccups!
b
Old Nov 17th 2018, 7:28 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

The main problem with NZ is: it's not Europe. Everything else can be coped with or enjoyed as being great, but it ain't Europe.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 2:31 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella
The main problem with NZ is: it's not Europe.
I'm pretty much sure thats one of the best things about NZ for me... :-)
Old Nov 18th 2018, 4:55 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by simonsi
I'm pretty much sure thats one of the best things about NZ for me... :-)
You only live your 70-90 years once. So of course you can choose to say you don't really like Europe that much.

I am in the other camp.