Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / New Zealand

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 3:14 am   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Auckland
Posts: 25
Mightymurph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rentals

Hello,
I have recently arrived in Auckland thankfully I have a friend who has allowed me to stay until I get on my feet.
I have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable people.

1. What kind of salary would I be looking for if I wanted to rent on my own.
Nothing big. But on my own. Studio/1 bed apartment or small town house.
Outside the city.

2. I have been looking, but do you have baths in New Zealand? LOL!!
Most of the studio, or even house shares, only seem to have showers.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks
Stephen
Mightymurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 7:08 am   #2
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 287
Stuck in Auckland is a splendid one to beholdStuck in Auckland is a splendid one to beholdStuck in Auckland is a splendid one to beholdStuck in Auckland is a splendid one to beholdStuck in Auckland is a splendid one to beholdStuck in Auckland is a splendid one to beholdStuck in Auckland is a splendid one to beholdStuck in Auckland is a splendid one to beholdStuck in Auckland is a splendid one to beholdStuck in Auckland is a splendid one to beholdStuck in Auckland is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymurph View Post
Hello,
I have recently arrived in Auckland thankfully I have a friend who has allowed me to stay until I get on my feet.
I have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable people.

1. What kind of salary would I be looking for if I wanted to rent on my own.
Nothing big. But on my own. Studio/1 bed apartment or small town house.
Outside the city.

2. I have been looking, but do you have baths in New Zealand? LOL!!
Most of the studio, or even house shares, only seem to have showers.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks
Stephen
Realistically on your own would be on a professional salary over $100k. Better to get in with a decent set of flatmates save on cash and get an instant social life.

Baths I just don't get why not. I can understand they want to conserve water. I cant get over why a master ensuite does not have a bath? The luxury of a cigar and glass of brandy hot bath and light jazz.
Stuck in Auckland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 9:50 am   #3
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 3,443
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rentals

Nonsense. I know people on far less than 100k who rent in "desirable" places on the north shore
Justcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 7:53 pm   #4
Moderator
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,408
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rentals

to be honest I can't see that this is a realistic way to look at getting a job or a rental. You are on a WHV so are restricted as to how long you can actually work for and taking on a commitment for a rental will have added pressure.
Maybe look at house sitting which means you can move around the islands and enjoy the holiday you are over on. Most area will have seasonal work and a house sit means you will living rent free.
__________________
Trying to get NZ in line with other countries in regards to Pernicious Anaemia -
If you are concerned about another member or they are emailing unwarranted information please inform a concierge or moderator (Me).
MrsFychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 8:42 pm   #5
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 3,443
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymurph View Post
I have been looking, but do you have baths in New Zealand? LOL!!
Most of the studio, or even house shares, only seem to have showers
If space is at a premium why would you waste it by fitting a bath ??

All my homes have had one but I haven't taken a bath for about for years
Why would you choose to sit a pool of dirty water ??
Justcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 9:35 pm   #6
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Auckland
Posts: 25
Mightymurph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
to be honest I can't see that this is a realistic way to look at getting a job or a rental. You are on a WHV so are restricted as to how long you can actually work for and taking on a commitment for a rental will have added pressure.
Maybe look at house sitting which means you can move around the islands and enjoy the holiday you are over on. Most area will have seasonal work and a house sit means you will living rent free.
I have been offered a really good job in the City already.

In an ideal world I am looking to impress an employer to I can look at visa's to stay :-)
Mightymurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 9:37 pm   #7
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Auckland
Posts: 25
Mightymurph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
If space is at a premium why would you waste it by fitting a bath ??

All my homes have had one but I haven't taken a bath for about for years
Why would you choose to sit a pool of dirty water ??
To me a bath is so relaxing. Haha! But I know what you mean. I've found in life people are either shower or bath. not too many are both, but that's what makes the world go round, we are all different.
Mightymurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / New Zealand


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 4:51 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com