Rentals

Old Dec 23rd 2017, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Mightymurph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rentals

Hello,
I have recently arrived in Auckland thankfully I have a friend who has allowed me to stay until I get on my feet.
I have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable people.

1. What kind of salary would I be looking for if I wanted to rent on my own.
Nothing big. But on my own. Studio/1 bed apartment or small town house.
Outside the city.

2. I have been looking, but do you have baths in New Zealand? LOL!!
Most of the studio, or even house shares, only seem to have showers.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks
Stephen
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rentals

Originally Posted by Mightymurph
Hello,
I have recently arrived in Auckland thankfully I have a friend who has allowed me to stay until I get on my feet.
I have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable people.

1. What kind of salary would I be looking for if I wanted to rent on my own.
Nothing big. But on my own. Studio/1 bed apartment or small town house.
Outside the city.

2. I have been looking, but do you have baths in New Zealand? LOL!!
Most of the studio, or even house shares, only seem to have showers.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks
Stephen
Realistically on your own would be on a professional salary over $100k. Better to get in with a decent set of flatmates save on cash and get an instant social life.

Baths I just don't get why not. I can understand they want to conserve water. I cant get over why a master ensuite does not have a bath? The luxury of a cigar and glass of brandy hot bath and light jazz.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense. I know people on far less than 100k who rent in "desirable" places on the north shore
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 6:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest I can't see that this is a realistic way to look at getting a job or a rental. You are on a WHV so are restricted as to how long you can actually work for and taking on a commitment for a rental will have added pressure.
Maybe look at house sitting which means you can move around the islands and enjoy the holiday you are over on. Most area will have seasonal work and a house sit means you will living rent free.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mightymurph
I have been looking, but do you have baths in New Zealand? LOL!!
Most of the studio, or even house shares, only seem to have showers
If space is at a premium why would you waste it by fitting a bath ??

All my homes have had one but I haven't taken a bath for about for years
Why would you choose to sit a pool of dirty water ??
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
to be honest I can't see that this is a realistic way to look at getting a job or a rental. You are on a WHV so are restricted as to how long you can actually work for and taking on a commitment for a rental will have added pressure.
Maybe look at house sitting which means you can move around the islands and enjoy the holiday you are over on. Most area will have seasonal work and a house sit means you will living rent free.
I have been offered a really good job in the City already.

In an ideal world I am looking to impress an employer to I can look at visa's to stay :-)
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
If space is at a premium why would you waste it by fitting a bath ??

All my homes have had one but I haven't taken a bath for about for years
Why would you choose to sit a pool of dirty water ??
To me a bath is so relaxing. Haha! But I know what you mean. I've found in life people are either shower or bath. not too many are both, but that's what makes the world go round, we are all different.