Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rebuilding of Christchurch

Rebuilding of Christchurch

Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Thunderclap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rebuilding of Christchurch

Wow - I'm thrilled with the number of people who have contributed to this thread - thank you one and all!

I do plan to visit NZ next year for the reasons Pom_Chch and Hazelnut suggested.

From the posters' comments, it seems that there will ongoing construction projects for many years to come, especially in the residential sector. I read the link posted by MrsFychan and I was quite shocked by the hardship of those who lost their homes (who'd have thought people would still be living in tents years after the disaster?), but with the freemarket economy it's no wonder rents rose as housing stock was strangled. Hopefully, the construction of new apartment blocks, etc., will slowly begin to ease the housing/rent pressures on the residents.

Tom H - I would be looking for a project management role ideally, so I wouldn't image that I'd suffer the poor conditions that sadly do affect some typical migrant workers like labourers, etc. I'm aware that some areas of NZ can be a little parochial, although this doesn't concern me in the slightest - I'm not one to be easily offended.

Last edited by Thunderclap; Jun 24th 2015 at 9:48 am.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Im going to go against the general feeling of others in this thread Thunderclap, having been inspired to read up about the rebuild today, and suggest that by 2018 you may have missed the boat in terms of project management for the rebuild. 90% of remedial infrastructure is now complete, so on top of the ground construction is really getting into full swing. Theyve just approved the recruitment of a further 5000 overseas construction workers so Im just wondering how much projecting will be left to do in 2018, for the rebuild at least? I guess there will be rebuilding work lingering for a decade or so, but perhaps just not at peak. Thats how I read it, but I may be wrong, but also considering youd need to be there at the start of any projects as a manager. Having said that, of course there would be ongoing projects regardless of whether they be part of the rebuild. No doubt you will find out something more definitive when you arrive for a look.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I vote on the 'rebuild past it's peak' side, know lots who have lost their jobs. But Christchurch isn't the be all and end all, Auckland's booming and even a fair bit going on in Queenstown (start training your liver now). If/when the next big earthquake happens (probs the great alpine fault) then it's game on in the industry again, assuming the economy hasn't shat itself by then
Old Jun 27th 2015, 10:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the rebuild could be going on for ever. It seems that brand new office buildings constructed since the earthquake are already being pulled down because someone didn't look at the bigger picture.

WTF????

Westende House in Christchurch to be demolished | Stuff.co.nz

BB