Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rebuilding of Christchurch

Rebuilding of Christchurch

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Thunderclap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rebuilding of Christchurch

I'd really like to hear from anybody who is or has been involved in the Christchurch rebuilding project.

I'm in the UK and just about to graduate (as a 28 year old mature student) after studying BSc (Hons) Construction Management and I am considering a move to NZ some time in the future - probably in two years' time when I have some professional experience and become chartered.

There are a number of websites covering the rebuild, but they rarely seen to be updated and therefore it's difficult for me to learn how long the project is due to last/what stage it's currently at/what opportunities may be available, etc., so I'd appreciate some comments/opinions/input from anybody in the know.

Many thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:41 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rebuilding of Christchurch

Hi Thunderclap,

I've been living in Christchurch now for 2.5 years. The re-build is going to be a long process. I would say in 10 years time Chch will be re-built back to its original (or better) state. There have been many issues with the re-build - insurance problems, not enough money, businesses not wanting to return to central city and just the sheer extent of the damage caused. That mixed in with homes needing to be repaired and after shocks happening causing further damage.

The re-build could have been handled better, which is another reason as to why progress has been slow. Having said that progress is still being made - new buildings, restaurants, cafes, libraries etc are being re-opened as time goes on. One of the major issues was the extent of the damage underground in the city centre. And obviously before you start thinking about building above ground, you have to sort out underground. That's partly why people feel there is a lack of progress because a lot of it is being made underneath where you don't see it as clearly as a new building popping up.

There's a lot of doom and gloom when it comes to the rebuild. There have been people treated unfairly and outright disgracefully by insurance companies. Having said that I see progress being made and I still enjoy living here. There's so much more to this place than Christchurch city. A sense of community, people pulling together during a really tough time and going through such hardship but coming out the other end.

I would say if you're young, free and single then take the opportunity to come out and see for yourself. It's a totally different kettle of fish once you have kids and you will have a lot more riding on your decisions! My partner and I are not much older than you with no kids so things have been pretty straight forward. We both wanted to seize the opportunity and we didn't have much to lose. We're having a great time here and have no regrets. You'll have the opportunity to explore some really amazing places during your time in NZ, and possibly Australia and the Pacific Islands.

Any more questions feel free to ask

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jun 23rd 2015 at 6:08 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 6:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
The re-build is going to be a long process. I would say in 10 years time Chch will be re-built back to its original (or better) state. T
With due respect to your optimism. It has already been 4 years and more. Demolition has not even finished.

From what is known at grassroots level, we are looking at around 30 years to be anywhere near complete.. The reasons are financial and totally logical when you have some understanding as to why.

Pom Chch is correct. Many people are still suffering badly after 4 years and counting. However, unlike her observation those people are thoroughly fed up and just wish to move on.

Perhaps Pom should also say that she came to extended family and with her OH having work.

It is all about the substructure & the costs for that. No-one wants to pay.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 23rd 2015 at 6:57 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:19 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts BEVS. No one really knows an actual figure on how many years, most of it is speculation. Perhaps 10 years is optimistic, perhaps 30 years is pessimistic. As I mentioned in my original post - Thunderclap you're more than welcome to ask questions. Whether that's specific to me (work, family etc) or general (rent, bills etc) I really don't mind, I'm happy to share

I do feel massively for the people of Chch and anyone else involved. What they went through was truly awful and I can't even begin to imagine the hurt caused. Some of the stories told by my friends and colleagues leaves me with shivers down my spine and a tear in my eye as they explain what happened on that fateful day(s). I'm literally lost for words and all I can do is listen. I don't want my previous post to sound in any way dismissive to people involved, that was not my intention. Far from it actually since a lot of the stories are coming from people I am close to - extended family and friends I've made since being here.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jun 23rd 2015 at 7:26 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:29 am
`

It isn't my thoughts. It is what is realistically pegged on the ground for rebuild.

30 years.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:33 am
She'll be right

Originally Posted by BEVS
It isn't my thoughts. It is what is realistically pegged on the ground for rebuild.

30 years.
If you wouldn't mind sharing your source - where have you found out that information?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:35 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

this may be of some help to the OP
4 years on. The Christchurch Rebuild.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:36 am
`

Originally Posted by Thunderclap
I'd really like to hear from anybody who is or has been involved in the Christchurch rebuilding project.

I'm in the UK and just about to graduate (as a 28 year old mature student) after studying BSc (Hons) Construction Management and I am considering a move to NZ some time in the future - probably in two years' time when I have some professional experience and become chartered.

There are a number of websites covering the rebuild, but they rarely seen to be updated and therefore it's difficult for me to learn how long the project is due to last/what stage it's currently at/what opportunities may be available, etc., so I'd appreciate some comments/opinions/input from anybody in the know.

Many thanks
I know. Do not rush.

There will be plenty of time for you to arrive and to oversee new 'projects'.

Christchurch is not a hive of rebuild. It remains a non-city for the most part.

The problem is investment and money on the ground.
No-one wants the costs of the sub-structure necessary to rebuild in or around the cbd.

However ---- this does not mean there will not be growth in the future in the area and surrounds ,hen the money is available and there is some confidence.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be going for a while. I'd say you could wait two years quite comfortably.

If you're looking to see what sort of jobs are actually available once you're ready then look at actual job websites like Seek.co.nz etc.

I live right in the middle of the city about 10 mins walk from Cathedral Square. In the 14 or so months I've lived here I've seen things turn from vacant lots and demolition to the very real signs of buildings coming up. There is still a very very very long way for the city to go and it can get draining and frustrating but overall I think it's a good and positive place to be.

The 'hole' in the city is pretty extensive right in the middle where the damage was worst but it's very slowly beginning to be filled in. I've watched three big office buildings go up from nothing to nearly done over the last few months and the new bus station is open. Plus we have a fairly good bet that the Cashel Mall developments will be ready to open in another 18-20 months which will bring quality retail back in. I am positive.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and for you Facebookers this is a good page to keep an eye on how the people of Christchurch are coping with the rebuild: https://www.facebook.com/rebuildchristchurch
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

With due respect to your optimism. It has already been 4 years and more. Demolition has not even finished.

From what is known at grassroots level, we are looking at around 30 years to be anywhere near complete..
30 years to be anywhere near complete? With due respects to your pessimism ...
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Christchurch is not a hive of rebuild. It remains a non-city for the most part.
Seemed to be a lot of hivelike construction going on when I was down there briefly earlier in the year?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I only visited briefly and I always try hard to be optimistic so this may be a rose tinted glasses viewpoint but, even last year, there were very definite signs of rebuild and a really positive atmosphere to the city. It's one of the three cities where MrH and I could gain work, my employment prospects are better there than in the other two whereas his are better in the other two cities.

The good thing about it taking 30yrs to be fully complete is there's job opportunities for decades to come. I'd also say that no city is ever 'finished'. I live in a major city in the UK and I've watched many areas the size of Cathedral Square and larger be completely razed and rebuilt on. It's the nature of an evolving organism.

MrH and I found a long trip over to NZ to be incredibly helpful. Could you manage a post graduation vacation treat to visit and look round the place?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I work in infrastructure construction (power) we have been told that after 2018 our workloads will be back to pre-EQ levels and our staffing levels should go back to those levels too.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work for Christchurch City Council and the Earthquake Commission.

In an ideal world, it'll be finished by 2020 at the latest. 2 years from their forecasted finish of 2018. That's the city aspect of the re-build

Roads and local housing are another story. A huge concern is the finance of it all. Hence a lot of council discussions recently about flogging off some assets, increasing rates etc. Oh and many are having insurance problems... Hence why there are quite a large number of people still upset.

I do some charity work part time to help out homeless families. They've got a long way until they can start looking at a new life

There'll be work for you easily. Just be careful of who you go to in the event you do decide to come over. Migrant workers haven't exactly been treated well - google migrant builders chch poor work conditions. It's mostly Filipino workers that suffer. Don't worry, Christchurch isn't racist at all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.