Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Really Useful Thread

The Really Useful Thread

Old May 19th 2005, 1:45 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Realy Useful Thread

Another good website to catch up on NZ news is www.stuff.co.nz worth checking out sometime.
Old May 19th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all
Default Re: The Really Useful Thread

Pinkie Pie asked me to paste my message from another thread in here - its a bit long and rambling, sorry - got carried away - but here it is - all about shopping - oohhhh me favourite subject!

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Welllllll, hmmm, where to start??? Shopping in NZ is nowhere near the experience it is in the UK. NOTHING at all like Next, and kids clothes here are not as nice as at home. The nearest thing to next is Pumpkin patch.
www.pumpkinpatch.co.nz
there are also some of these srores in the UK. The next best thing after that is Just Kids
www.justkkids.co.uk
Both have lovely clothes but still I miss next and debenhams.

As for department stores - well no there really aren't any. Farmers is the closest thing as far as a nationwide store goes (There is one dept store I think in AKL and Welly) (Not been to South Island). Farmers sell everything you would need though. www.farmers.co.nz.

Shoes and handbags - well, most towns usually have a nice shoe shop - but actually I find shoes quite expensive here. There are places called The Shoe Warhouse which are much more reasonable but not great quality. There is a shop called overland. Can't find the website though at the moment - lovely shoes - but - fairly expensive. Nice quality though. If you find the website - aha - just found it - www.overlandfootwear.co.nz. When put into pound its not too bad - but remeber guys you won't be earning pounds here you'll be earning dollars. Farmers sell shoes and handbags too. There is a store called Glassons here for all those that like funky fashions which you'll only wear for one season. Another store thats nice is Sussans. They sell ladies clothes and sleepwear. AND they also do short fitting trousers. Again NOTHING like Next here for shopping.

Most towns and cities have shops/stores that are locally owned and sell beautiful clothes and shoes and handbags and undies etc, but they are not national stores. SO there are lots of lovely clothes here but nicely they are not mass production stores. AKL has some beautiful stores in Newmarket and Ponsonby.

Shopping here is just very different. It took me a bit to get used to it, but now I am. I still miss Next though and River Island and Debenhas and Ravel.....BUT..... like I said there are lots of nice stores here, but more boutiques and one-offs. I also find that the market here is either top end of cheap end, there is very little inbetween. Ladies clothes shops that are locally owned tend to be expensive and so places like Farmers and Sussans and Glassons (www.glassons.co.nz) etc are cheaper, but, don't always have what you want. It just means you get to shop at alot more shops to get what you want. No bad thing if you ask me!

Also - lots of outdoor clothing shops,
example - www.outdoorsman.co.nz, and they stock great casual wear as well.
(Oh and the picture on the home page is the store here in Rotorua as its the headquarters)
as well as masses of surfing and skiing and diving and sportswear shops.

There is also of course - the great Kiwi institution that is "The Warehouse"
www.thewarehouse.co.nz - where you can get just about anything!

Also have some good denim stores:
www.justjeans.co.nz
www.jeanswest.co.nz

Well, I think I have rambled enough There are lots and lots of good stores here. Its just very very different to home. I still prefer the UK for shopping, and I miss it like mad being as I am a complete shopoholic! But, shopping is not the be all and end all in life - other stuff makes up for me missing my old stomping grounds in the UK. (I still miss HUGE shopping centres and BIG department stores, and Next etc, ), but I don't miss the crowds and life feeling like it was on hyperspeed when we went shopping for a day! Don't get time to go for a day now!

Hope some of this drivel helps you!

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jul 25th 2005 at 9:06 pm.
Old May 19th 2005, 2:12 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Flights:
http://www.airline-network.co.uk/ind...ealand+flights
Very good internet flight company - I've booked a night at an Auckland Airport hotel through them also for $57 (normally $140!) - Hotel Grand Chancellor.

Also if doing multiple stops then trailfinders re great too.
http://www.trailfinders.com/index.htm

Old May 20th 2005, 4:45 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Lee normally has some good flight offers http://www.leestravel.co.uk/special-...-east-asia.htmeg London- AKL GBP 465 with Malaysia Airlines.
Old May 20th 2005, 5:07 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Track how the NZD is doing over at www.oanda.com. Lots of tools, eg graphs http://www.oanda.com/products/fxgraph/fxgraph.shtml

Eg wait for it to load (Java based) then type in: To NZD; from GBP; since 1995; Retrieve 10 years.

Interesting reading! We are not very far off the NZD being at a 10 year high vs the GBP.
Old May 20th 2005, 1:56 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve'N'Serena
Hi Dave
I am just doing a bit of searching around for crown and came up with this give it a look and let me know what you think
www.crownrelo.com or phone 0800227696
hope this helps
Steve
The phone number for the Leeds office for those of us in the North of England is 0113 385 1008
Old May 20th 2005, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of sites for news:

www.nzherald.co.nz

and on radio if you can listen over the internet:

www.newstalkzb.co.nz

the above radio station is hours of fun with news in the last few months about MPs calling each other tossers (I kid you not) and accusations of Helen Clark being a lesbian. If you listen in the afternoon or early evening over here you get the 'graveyard' slot over there. Some of the presenters are so funny they give a whole new meaning to the word 'inept'.

Sega Chick
Old May 20th 2005, 7:17 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone wanting to acquaint themselves or their teenage children with the NZ popular music scene:

www.top50.co.nz

I viewed it ages ago, I think that idiot 50 cent was No 1. I couldn't access it today, so I hope it still works.
I'm disappointed that all those reports that NZ is 20 years behind are patently untrue I was really looking forward to rediscovering The Cure, Siouxsie, The Police, Spandau Ballet (aaah memories)

80s chick
Old May 26th 2005, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

For anyone needing to move money abroad (not just NZ), I can recommend XE Trade for getting the best exchange rates and to transfer money.
This is a 'real time' currency exchange system. Once you register and they run a few checks on you, you can set up source and target bank accounts in a number of different countries. You can also tell exactly what rate you will be getting before you commit yourself to a trade. We have been using it to transfer money for a while now and it's very easy to use.
If you logon to the below website you can read up about it :-

http://www.xe.com/

And if you try this link, there is more info and you can do a live demonstartion.

https://www.xe.com/fx/

Good luck,
Mark
Old May 28th 2005, 5:30 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Don't think so - there is one in OZ though and can get stuff shipped here - hang on i'll check - just have always used trade-me - nope just checked and there isn't one. Maybe I need to start one? LOL? ( a quiet whisper now as well - this not negative - before anyone jumps on me - just an observation/personal opinion - however all of us POMS do have the sme observation - there are no proper sausages in NZ either - well not great tasty scrummy ones like we are used to - not sure why 'cause the meat is just superb, but sausages are just not as nice, and you can't get gammon steaks either - well not great big thick ones like we are used to - there I said it - not intended to start world war 1 - so as I said JUST an opinion - and a whispered one)
Hi there - just thought I would let you all know that there is Ebay in NZ - see http://pages.ebay.com/nz/

so now you can hunt away on another great website
Old May 29th 2005, 7:13 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi there - just thought I would let you all know that there is Ebay in NZ - see http://pages.ebay.com/nz/

so now you can hunt away on another great website
Mobile phones:
Have just bought a prepay mobile for use here and am going to buy a NZ sim card for use there - I'll get you the details soon!http://www.0044.co.uk/index.htm
Not cheap at approx £25 but convenient if you need to let people know your NZ number before you get there.

Last edited by Biddy; May 29th 2005 at 7:31 am.
Old May 29th 2005, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biddy
Mobile phones:
Have just bought a prepay mobile for use here and am going to buy a NZ sim card for use there - I'll get you the details soon!
www.vodaphone.co.nz

There is Telecom as well but they don't use SIM cards in their phones only network connection - so you'll have to join Vodaphone. Their motormouth package is good - can even ring the UK for 49c a minute. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:05 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you in NZ missing good British (or Irish) tucker (with or without gravy granules) here's a Brit food website with excellent info and recipes:

www.thefoody.com

Not bad for a woman who hates cooking

Phyl
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:15 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
I bet we'd need giant hot water bottles in Dunedin plus all the razzamatazz of oil heaters etc.

Why doesn't NZ just get some central heating installation at a reasonable price?

You can do the average UK house for two grand all in.

a) they do;

b) It's less than $5000 in many cases;

c) serves you right for living in the South Island!!!

Proof:

http://www.gairair.co.nz/frames.html
http://www.aar.co.nz/home_solutions.html
http://www.dvs.co.nz/
http://www.yellow.co.nz/site/gasworld/Heaters.html
http://www.abergas.co.nz/aber/easyshop/shop/Default.asp
http://www.yellow.co.nz/site/warmbreeze/
http://www.irelandselectrical.co.nz/products.shtml
http://www.capaircond.co.nz/
http://www.egleys.co.nz/index.asp?PageID=2145828199

In that lot you have heat pumps, underfloor heating, forced air central heating, and various others. NZ moved on from inefficient water-based central heating a long time ago.

My house has an electrical system comprising ceramic panels with individual room thermostat control - with the option to control it via a PC. Cost? Less than $1500....

Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:13 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Kids clothes -
www.jk.co.nz
www.pumpkinpatch.co.nz

Bouncy castles for parties -
www.partycastles.com

also, www.freedomair.com for limited but cheap flights between fiji, aus & nz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.