Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Really Useful Thread

The Really Useful Thread

Old May 15th 2005, 5:58 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Really Useful Thread

This forum is great reading at the moment - thanks to all the contributors!
Here's a chance to put down all the useful tips, websites, advise etc that we would all benefit from whilst going through 'the big move'.
I'll start by giving you the Pipers website which contains links to just about everything kiwi - need to find a school? - look it up here!http://www.piperpat.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=53

Hope there's plenty more 'Realy Useful Stuff'
Biddy
Old May 15th 2005, 9:05 am
enilorac

Default Re: The Really Useful Thread

Originally Posted by Biddy
Here's a chance to put down all the useful tips, websites, advise etc that we would all benefit from whilst going through 'the big move'.
I'll start by giving you the Pipers website which contains links to just about everything kiwi - need to find a school? - look it up here!http://www.piperpat.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=53

Biddy
It is nice at the minute isn't it Biddy and this is a cracking idea for a thread....

I will get my thinking cap on and maybe add to it a bit later on...flying visit this morning!!

Jeremy put a great one on for time zones http://www.worldtimezone.com

and Sunshine put a fantastic pizza link on - http://www.hell.co.nz/

I can never remember where I saw good links so lumping them all in one
thread really is a great idea...good on ya

Caroline

Last edited by enilorac; May 15th 2005 at 9:12 am.

Old May 15th 2005, 9:42 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Realy Useful Thread

With regard to rentals, I read just this week that there are two boxes on the contract - one says fixed term and the other is for a periodic lease. Most say they will only do a Fixed term under the guise of it being in your best interests. If they won't do the periodic one, get an agent who will. You can't be kicked out by the landlord as he MUST give you 3 MONTHS notice UNLESS he is selling or he needs it for family and even then it's 42 days. You on the other hand can leave with 3 WEEKS notice. If they try to browbeat you tell them you'll report them to the Tenancy Tribunal. It's an 0800 number but I don't have it I'm afraid.

Hope it's helpful to someone.

Last edited by Batty; May 15th 2005 at 9:42 am. Reason: Missed a bit
Old May 15th 2005, 11:00 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
With regard to rentals, I read just this week that there are two boxes on the contract - one says fixed term and the other is for a periodic lease. Most say they will only do a Fixed term under the guise of it being in your best interests. If they won't do the periodic one, get an agent who will. You can't be kicked out by the landlord as he MUST give you 3 MONTHS notice UNLESS he is selling or he needs it for family and even then it's 42 days. You on the other hand can leave with 3 WEEKS notice. If they try to browbeat you tell them you'll report them to the Tenancy Tribunal. It's an 0800 number but I don't have it I'm afraid.

Hope it's helpful to someone.
Another good thing to remember when renting a house is to make sure you do a walk through with the landlord before you take posession & make a written note of anything you find that looks out of order. Get him/her to sign it & when you leave they cant come back at you & say oh that crack in the window etc wasnt there when you moved in. Not all will try but there are some out there who will do there best to keep your bond (deposit) for the slightest reason. They do have a tenancy tribunal that should hold your deposit & if there are any disagreements at the end of your rental they will sort it all out very favourably. I always went through any houses my children were planning on renting & made note of the slightest mark or faults that I could see just so they wouldnt be blamed for them when they moved out. Always worked out well for them as Im sure it will for anyone else.
Old May 16th 2005, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shepslady
Another good thing to remember when renting a house is to make sure you do a walk through with the landlord before you take posession & make a written note of anything you find that looks out of order. Get him/her to sign it & when you leave they cant come back at you & say oh that crack in the window etc wasnt there when you moved in. Not all will try but there are some out there who will do there best to keep your bond (deposit) for the slightest reason. They do have a tenancy tribunal that should hold your deposit & if there are any disagreements at the end of your rental they will sort it all out very favourably. I always went through any houses my children were planning on renting & made note of the slightest mark or faults that I could see just so they wouldnt be blamed for them when they moved out. Always worked out well for them as Im sure it will for anyone else.
I own a house that i rent out..all good landlords should fill out one of these with you..it is in their best interests as well as yours..I also take digital pictures so I can remember what condition the carpet was in so as not to blame any old stains on new tenants.
The common form used is blue and white and is called a Residential Tenancy agreement.Also if your landlord/or the rental property manager, takes a bond it has to be lodged with the bond centre by the landlord within 23 working days..they are not supposed to hold onto it themselves..the TenacyServices office..0800 836 262 freephone no)or website www.minhousing.govt.nz has lots of info about the rules of renting in NZ.
Old May 16th 2005, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shepslady
I commend you for being such a good landlady but sadly they arent all as good as you as Im sure you are aware of. I think on the whole most landlords/landladys are pretty reasonable but there is always the odd shady one so to speak. I think the bond centre thing is a great idea & saves any real hassels for either party.
My policy has been when renting that if the landlord doesnt fill out one of these forms (ask if they do) and show some professionalism dont take the house..my sister was living in a house with a big hole in the roof and the landlord took weeks to fix it ..plus he was charging far too much rent for such a dump..this was in Auckland where it rains quite a bit winter and summer.
Old May 16th 2005, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biddy

Biddy
GREAT idea this thread. Here is a few more:

www.xtra.co.nz (keep up with NZ's news and politics) (broadband provider too) - and links to lots of NZ sites.

www.open2view.com (housing)
www.realenz.co.nz (real estate info)
www.seek.co.nz (jobs)
www.netcheck.co.nz (jobs)

you might be interested in a nosey at www.trade-me.co.nz - the kiwi version of ebay!

I'll keep an eye on this thread as reckon i will be pircking up a few tips and websites worth a look or 3!! Great to see lots of nicey's.
Old May 16th 2005, 9:07 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my tip of the evening- as sson as you've got your EOI in (or before if you prefer) start getting all your paperwork ready - ie check you have proper birth certs for the kids (we had small ones that we had to reapply for), marraige certs, job details and references to support any claims, passports up to date, plenty of passport sized photos

etc etc

Really does save that mad panic once you get your ITA!
Old May 17th 2005, 8:01 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Rather than living in a hotel until you find a rental or buy a house or betterstill living in a unfurnished house until your bits arrive why not book a holiday home. Great rates, good locations and alot take pets. www.holidayhomes.co.nz.
Old May 18th 2005, 9:10 am
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
That would be a great idea Biddy to rent up the coast. Lovely beach and still easy enough access to check out other areas in Wellington.
Now do I get some Karma too!!
Cheers
KAZ
Here's a good one - statistics on everything kiwiish - watch the population clock jump by 5 when we arrive!
http://www.stats.govt.nz/default.htm
Biddy
Old May 18th 2005, 9:42 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Generally useful stuff http://www.stuff.co.nz/
Old May 18th 2005, 9:44 am
Don
Banned

One of the best companies to use for currency transfers, they usually give you a better rate than the high street banks - HIFX plc. They get Don's personal recommendation. Also live currency crosses here http://www.hifx.co.uk/members/quotes.asp
Old May 18th 2005, 9:46 am
Don
Banned

The Otago Daily Times online http://www.odt.co.nz/Daily/skins/ODT/ - your window on Dunedin and Otago.
Old May 18th 2005, 10:10 am
pompeymike

If you're waiting for your container to arrive you can get short term rentals of most houshold appliances from Mr Rentals, we used them for a Fridge freezer and washing machine until our stuff arrived:
http://www.mrrentals.co.nz/

Also if you want to check out the weather here's the Met Service:
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php

Mike

Old May 18th 2005, 6:26 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

That is a good link to put in the really useful thread

http://www.tvnz.co.nz

Pinkie
Suggested by Pinkie Pie that this be transferred from the State of Emergency thread so that we can all keep up-to-date with the news in NZ etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.