Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The real New Zealand picture thread

The real New Zealand picture thread

Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:47 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The real New Zealand picture thread

And while we are at it...doesn't New Zealand lead the world in male suicides?

Let's be honest..doesn't the initial 'two weeks eating out every night in restaurants before giving up ' add about to 5% New Zealands rather low GDP?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
huh you lost me there you been down the pub today?
sounds like it Sky.... amazing... what an outburst... why does he/she feel the need to get SOOOO uptight about anything neg said about NZ. I will NEVER understand that. I secretly think that the people that are soooooo into defending it are actually really unhappy. They just cannot admit it. Ask yourself WHY it bothers you so much

I suggest you go and calm yourself down Genesis. You will give yourself a heart attack ranting like that.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
And while we are at it...doesn't New Zealand lead the world in male suicides?

Let's be honest..doesn't the initial 'two weeks eating out every night in restaurants before giving up ' add about to 5% New Zealands rather low GDP?
my brother in law committed suicide (NZ) and until then I had not realised how much of a problem it actually is in NZ. Awful experience, awful time and i don't wish it on anyone but there clearly is a problem that it does have the highest suicide.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:06 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Ditto Lexy..if you don't like it don't look at it..ditto if the UK is so wonderous why are you still on this forum..at least I am still an expat!!!!!

Well that's nice. What exactly does 'expat', mean? I'm thinking it means "A British person who moved to New Zealand"

Fine, that applies to most of us...but the biggest expats in New Zealand are the Chinese and....I'm pulling rank here (having spent the last ten years teaching Chinese and Japanese) and because I have a bottle of wine!...I don't think many Chinese expats are on this forum to let us know what it is really like.

One of the biggest shocks I have had so far in...cough...Welly...is NEVER seeing the Chinese and non-Chinese talking together outside of a shopping situation.

I'm in the supermarket and I'll say to the (almost ALWAYS) non-white staff. "So, where are you from"? and you can tell from the reaction that's it's unusual to have a 'white' person take an interest.

That's the reality of being an expat. Here, in the UK, or anywhere.

Last edited by Avid; Apr 25th 2007 at 11:53 am.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
sounds like it Sky.... amazing... what an outburst... why does he/she feel the need to get SOOOO uptight about anything neg said about NZ. I will NEVER understand that. I secretly think that the people that are soooooo into defending it are actually really unhappy. They just cannot admit it. Ask yourself WHY it bothers you so much

I suggest you go and calm yourself down Genesis. You will give yourself a heart attack ranting like that.
Do not judge a man until you have walked in his shoes..perchance my uncle having taken his life (in France), Kates best friend's partner having recently done the same (in the UK) then Badger's posting of Cleese's outburst about suicides and my home town being the suicide capital of the world was a bit close to the mark.

Why is is soooooooooooooo okay for him to take the piss out of my life here in Palmy? Then I am condemned for making a reply about knowing a little more of life in Palmy than Mr Cleese? I have said nothing ill of life in Beds or the UK per se, just how rotten the small bit I lived in was. Now what is your smart reply??
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:24 am

I've been looking for statistics about this.....but it's hard to search the internet in NZ because a lot of stuff is cens....hard to find.

I've had friends send me stuff via the UK which I just can't find using a NZ search.

Guess the world's first democracy is a bit slow with the internet....
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:26 am

Do not judge a man until you have walked in his shoes..
That's the smart reply, Genesis. Either we all make fun of each other or we all say nothing.

Or....we could let each other have our say, but allow others to comment.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:30 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
.....A few more
You are truly fabulous!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

That's the smart reply, Genesis. Either we all make fun of each other or we all say nothing.

Or....we could let each other have our say, but allow others to comment.
Oh, its fun now is it?? Excuse me but I thought people were starting to get personal???
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Do not judge a man until you have walked in his shoes..perchance my uncle having taken his life (in France), Kates best friend's partner having recently done the same (in the UK) then Badger's posting of Cleese's outburst about suicides and my home town being the suicide capital of the world was a bit close to the mark.

Why is is soooooooooooooo okay for him to take the piss out of my life here in Palmy? Then I am condemned for making a reply about knowing a little more of life in Palmy than Mr Cleese? I have said nothing ill of life in Beds or the UK per se, just how rotten the small bit I lived in was. Now what is your smart reply??
I don't have smart reply. Why are you trying to have a fight? I don't understand. We didn't come and find you and make you reply to Burts postings about his experience. You were the one that replied to Burts email about what HE thinks.... This is all a little crazzzzyyy.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:46 am

Oh, its fun now is it?? Excuse me but I thought people were starting to get personal???

I meant 'fun' as in 'share a joke'. But you can't have it both ways. You can't shout people down for being negative about things and then start posting the 'walk in his shoes' crap when the mood takes you.

By your logic you can only understand why some people are unhappy here when you have 'walked in their shoes'.

I've read your posts. You seem to be having a good time in Palmerston and you've been boasting about having a big house and a pool. Fine. Life is good for you but I don't understand why you are insisting that life has to be good for everybody else.

As I posted earlier the moaners and the happy people don't have to attack each other, but they can respect each other and not get involved. This thread started off as a joke about NZ but you felt that you had to wade into it and lecture other people. You should have stayed away. And, to be honest, if your life is really so great, why on earth are you on this thread in the first place?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't be ridiculous.... its not getting personal. Well you telling me I should not be posting as I am not an expat is though....

Look, NZ is not your invention, your mother or your lover so don't get too worried about what people think. If you are so happy then you should not care. A classic thing people do here is the second anyone mentions anything neg about NZ they start throwing mud and saying how awful the UK is... Go to the 'Returning to the UK' section of the site for that.... this is a forum about NZ..... so telling us how awful the UK is etc etc is pointless.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in the supermarket and I'll say to the (almost ALWAYS) non-white staff. "So, where are you from"? and you can tell from the reaction that's it's unusual to have a 'white' person take an interest.

That's the reality of being an expat. Here, in the UK, or anywhere.
No, they probably think you're a patronizing prick.

You do seem to be rather up yourself.

A new arrival with all the answers to NZ's problems.

Kip
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Genesis;4694290]
Originally Posted by Burt Badger
There is a reason that anything slightly negative is jumped on, and that is because the site is monitored by realestate agents, European and luxury car sales persons, high end goods retailers and, it has been suggested, NZIS and other government departments who are fully aware of the $ income immigration brings to the NZ economy.

What are you on Brocky boy?? Monitored by the government and luxury car sales people...arf arf..are you sure? And by the way I lived in a great house in a naff area and we had an income of over £50 k...so we were not as you suggested in your previous reply..still you believe that we are all being watched don't you?? Bye for now.
?????????.......Strange eh? Whats this all about then? Going back to your days as a Police Officer?

Burt
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Kippers
No, they probably think you're a patronizing prick.

You do seem to be rather up yourself.

A new arrival with all the answers to NZ's problems.

Kip
Wooooo!!!!!! Here we go!

It's 11pm...shouldn't you be shouting 'Light's out'?

Last edited by Avid; Apr 25th 2007 at 11:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.