Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The real New Zealand picture thread

The real New Zealand picture thread

Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:23 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The real New Zealand picture thread

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
Im in Newtown, Wellington. Easy to say, buy heating, do this, that or the other. Sure, if you have the $$ to chuck around. Im on minimum wage in a rental, so that means getting hard!

Life is grim at the moment. Still, been here before, im sure it will improve
Well.....at least you are going native, and that's good.

It wasn't double-glazing and cavity wall insulation that got a Kiwi to the top of Everest!!

actually it was sherpa tensing carrying all the suitcases, but don't mention that

Last edited by Avid; Apr 25th 2007 at 3:28 am.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Im in Newtown, Wellington. Easy to say, buy heating, do this, that or the other. Sure, if you have the $$ to chuck around. Im on minimum wage in a rental, so that means getting hard!

Life is grim at the moment. Still, been here before, im sure it will improve
You could try collecting newspapers from other people's recycle bins
and stuffing the pages inside your shirt. Supposed to be wonderful
insulation. And it would put to good use what is essentially a shameful
waste of paper and ink.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Well.....at least you are going native, and that's good.

It wasn't double-glazing and cavity wall insulation that got a Kiwi to the top of Everest!!

actually it was sherpa tensing carrying all the suitcases, but don't mention that
Excellent!

But let's not forget, if you really want to go native you have to
also truly believe that NZ has one of the highest standards of living
IN THE WORLD!!!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
Excellent!

But let's not forget, if you really want to go native you have to
also truly believe that NZ has one of the highest standards of living
IN THE WORLD!!!
Again its all relative..we have some shocking poverty stats in NZ..but then so does the US..utterly appalling figures..just look at what happened in New Orleans. We have terrible child abuse stats, we have terrible domestic violence stats...this is the real world not some Lord of the Rings world.

The 'real world' even in the so called civilised western world brings with it heaps loads of shite..people = problems..as everywhere aye?? Fortunately for some the problems that exist in their choice of country to live do not impact upon their every day lives..that is what NZ has given me, an exceptionally high quality of life in comparison to what i had in the UK. In the UK all the problems that existed in my small world impacted heavily upon me and my family..here in NZ the plethora of problems that we have both nationally and locally do not impact upon me or my family's life. That is not an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude..just simply trying to get the best for me and my family for our brief sojourn on this globe!!

As for the stupid photos. that started this thread..anyone can make anywhere look either heaven or hell. You can do it with France, the UK, Eire. Oz, NZ, the US. Rotting curtains and wet interior windows are unlikely to feature in the latest NZ tourism brochures.

You are more likely to find mile upon mile of endless white and empty beach..or the stunning environs of Taupo or the geothermics of Rotorua etc..get the picture? Pun intended!!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:56 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Genesis
Again its all relative..we have some shocking poverty stats in NZ..but then so does the US..utterly appalling figures..just look at what happened in New Orleans. We have terrible child abuse stats, we have terrible domestic violence stats...this is the real world not some Lord of the Rings world.

The 'real world' even in the so called civilised western world brings with it heaps loads of shite..people = problems..as everywhere aye?? Fortunately for some the problems that exist in their choice of country to live do not impact upon their every day lives..that is what NZ has given me, an exceptionally high quality of life in comparison to what i had in the UK. In the UK all the problems that existed in my small world impacted heavily upon me and my family..here in NZ the plethora of problems that we have both nationally and locally do not impact upon me or my family's life. That is not an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude..just simply trying to get the best for me and my family for our brief sojourn on this globe!!

As for the stupid photos. that started this thread..anyone can make anywhere look either heaven or hell. You can do it with France, the UK, Eire. Oz, NZ, the US. Rotting curtains and wet interior windows are unlikely to feature in the latest NZ tourism brochures.

You are more likely to find mile upon mile of endless white and empty beach..or the stunning environs of Taupo or the geothermics of Rotorua etc..get the picture? Pun intended!!
Actually, the photo's which started this thread were funny. Which made me laugh.

Especially the house held up with oil barrels....Kiwi ingenuity at it's best!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:57 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

You could try collecting newspapers from other people's recycle bins
and stuffing the pages inside your shirt. Supposed to be wonderful
insulation. And it would put to good use what is essentially a shameful
waste of paper and ink.
True, I could put the papers to better use. But I have to wipe my arse with something.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:01 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Deary me! 95% of the posts on this forum are amazingly upbeat and positive to the point of madness (and I mean that in a good way) but try and get a few light-hearted moans in and you soon get jumped on!

(Then again....don't most of the posters here work in 'correctional facilities' ?)

The success rate of people moving to Australia and New Zealand appears to be around 60%. It seems that 40% come here for a while and then go...who knows? Back home with their tails between their legs, I guess. Poor things. So a mouldy window reflects the feelings of a sizable minority!

Last edited by Avid; Apr 25th 2007 at 4:05 am.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

True, I could put the papers to better use. But I have to wipe my arse with something.
Too funny.
Too true. Your pragmatism is admirable.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

I think there's room enough here for all kinds of photos, all kinds of opinions.
I'm very glad for these threads. They usually brings out the wit and
good humor of the posters. And it makes us sizable minority know we are
not alone and we can laugh at our predicament.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:36 am

I think there's room enough here for all kinds of photos, all kinds of opinions.
I'm very glad for these threads. They usually brings out the wit and
good humor of the posters. And it makes us sizable minority know we are
not alone and we can laugh at our predicament.
And I think it's obvious that the 'happy clappy's and 'the never stop moaning's can respect each other and keep their distance.

I would NEVER wander on to a 'girlz nite out Welly' thread and start moaning about the spelling, the sexism and the 'punishable by death' habit of calling Wellington 'welly'

And when I post my "What the hell have I done with my life!?!!!!" thread in 3 weeks time I don't expect all the perma-grins to run on shouting "It's just as bad in the UK and if you don't like it why don't you leave"?

All together now....."ebony...and Ivory....live together in perfect harmony....side by side on my peeee-yannnno keyboard....."
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:02 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Jeez, mate. A $3.99 squeegee from the Warehouse would have had you sorted. To quote the Wizard of Oz 'A swish swish here and a swish swish there...'

Burt, you're kinda lazy, admit it.

Why would you want to do that?
Double glazing would be so much easier and also your window sills wouldn't rot!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:04 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Jeez, mate. A $3.99 squeegee from the Warehouse would have had you sorted. To quote the Wizard of Oz 'A swish swish here and a swish swish there...'

Burt, you're kinda lazy, admit it.
Also have to add, I have done the swish, swishing for well over three years now and as soon as you have finished, the windows are misting up all over again and you have a big pile of soggy cloths to wash.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:06 am
sky
Banned

One more thing, if you are a couple you may not be too bothered about the bit of condensation your combined lungs produce on your windows but if you are a family of five the house is practically swimming in moisture believe you me!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

It is really quite simple. If you don't like what you are looking at or reading then don't look. You are just stating the obvious. If someone has an opinion that differs from you then live and let live. Don't let it rattle your cage and just get on with enjoying NZ. I have to wonder how much all these NZ loving posters really do love it.... seem to spend most of their time on here posting how great it is rather than out enjoying it.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

You say you live in Palmerston North....so where is your quality of life? Though I guess that if you lived on the UK minimum wage in a run down area that it would be some kind of improvement.

I'm glad that you are happy living the dream................in Palmerston North LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.