Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The real New Zealand picture thread

The real New Zealand picture thread

Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The real New Zealand picture thread

Originally Posted by Kippers
"Some of the lovely "Lifestyle" properties that were a little further up the road from us!"
again state houses and not lifestyle blocks at all. Shall I post some pictures of NZ state houses? Then we can compare like for like rather than you posting something not at all similar to what Burt deed.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by happynz
Jeez, mate. A $3.99 squeegee from the Warehouse would have had you sorted. To quote the Wizard of Oz 'A swish swish here and a swish swish there...'

Burt, you're kinda lazy, admit it.
Geez mate if they built houses for the wet, cold and damp conditions found in NZ the Warehouse would go out of business due to lack of sales of $3.99 squeegees!

For some reason Kywy's build houses as if they are living on the Med. As for laziness - it must have been something I picked up in Prosaic Land??

Burt
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
Some of the lovely "Lifestyle" properties that were a little further up the road from us!

Burt
Great to see you back!
I believe you lived in the greater Tauranga metropolitan area?

Look exactly like the "lifestyle" properties just south-west of urban Auckland.
Recently took a drive down to the beach where the Waikato meets the sea.
Once off the motorway, it was nearly pure squalor all the way. Very
depressing, isn't it, because they really do represent a real, and not
uncommon aspect of actual New Zealand lifestyle.
You have to wonder the mentality of people who do not even realise
they live in squalor and think they have the best of everything.
Too often I find drives in the country are more depressing than uplifting.

I didn't take pictures, wish I had!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

I'll dig out a few more pics, but feel free to post any that you good folk may have.

Burt
Here's a lifestyle photo from my neighborhood, taken at 1:30 PM on a
Sunday afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails The real New Zealand picture thread-laidback.jpg  
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Came across some photo's of the condensationon our single glazed windows (You don't need double glazing in NZ!) and a picture of a house we passed daily on the school run where the curtains were rotting from damp!

Enjoy the dream!

Burt
Thank you Burt. We are enjoying the dream, very much indeed. Sorry you did not manage to achieve it..you sound a bit bitter.

Humidity. It is easy to sort. Our modern home was cold and damp when we moved in..because the atmosphere here in the Manawatu is just that, damp. Simple solution, install euro style central heating, buy a few dehumidifiers and get a woodburner. Our house is now dry and cured of crying windows.

Anyway, enjoy sharing the same sized country as NZ with another 56 million odd others won't you!!! And if you are soooooooooooooooo happy in North Beds what are you doing on here? Need your NZ fix? Why don't you loose yourself in some traffic jam and leave those who like it here alone. You are no longer an ex pat, you are simply back where you choose to be.

I do not think a few photos will put anyone off coming here so don't say you are trying to warn people..you are simply stiring a big, sad, wooden spoon . Goodbye.

Last edited by Genesis; Apr 24th 2007 at 11:00 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:54 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Thanks for that Weez. A nice sunny shirt-sleeve kinda day it looks like. Who wouldn't want a snooze under a tree?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by happynz
Thanks for that Weez. A nice sunny shirt-sleeve kinda day it looks like. Who wouldn't want a snooze under a tree?
Especially as the fun started on Friday night and this photo was
taken Sunday afternoon! These good gentlemen did not nap for long,
surprisingly. I think they must have had another barbeque to attend.
Or a boil-up.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:11 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
Very depressing, isn't it, because they really do represent a real, and not
uncommon aspect of actual New Zealand lifestyle.
You have to wonder the mentality of people who do not even realise
they live in squalor and think they have the best of everything.
Well, I think it's been said before but New Zealand looks wonderful because there are just so few people to mess it up, not because anybody is particularly 'ecology conscious' .

Just to reassure our younger viewers (some as young as 9, it seems), that in photo you posted above...the young men were resting after a hard days work, yes? It looks like a drive-by shooting.....

Last edited by Avid; Apr 25th 2007 at 12:19 am.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avid
Well, I think it's been said before but New Zealand looks wonderful because there are just so few people to mess it up, not because anybody is particularly 'ecology conscious' .

Just to reassure our younger viewers (some as young as 9, it seems), that photo you posted above...the young men were resting after a hard days work, yes? It looks like a drive-by shooting.....

Definitely not ecologically or environmentally conscious, in fact, quite
the opposite. And the devastating impact relatively few people have had
on the landscape is quite out of proportion and quite shocking. This is
an area I have particularly made a study of, so I will stop now before
I get out of hand!

I have to disagree with the "looks wonderful" though.
I do not find most NZ landscapes appealing, but I am bringing a
North American perpsective to it, which is not really relevant to this forum.
I've said this before, there are good reasons why NZ has a relatively
low population.

Those gentleman were resting after a laid-back barbeque.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:33 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
I have to disagree with the "looks wonderful" though.
I do not find most NZ landscapes appealing, but I am bringing a
North American perpsective to it, which is not really relevant to this forum.

Well...to be honest I can't really comment either as I have only been here 2 months and have spent a grand total of 2 hours outside central Wellington.

It's like playing Scrabble with half the letters missing when you leave the city centre...make a town name from the following ...'T' 'K' 'W' 'W' 'G' 'U' 'A'..

Anyway...I only made it as far Lower Hutt before realising that everything really was Scotland but double size...

Last edited by Avid; Apr 25th 2007 at 12:37 am.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about

Same here... a few UK refinements in the form of better ventilation and sensible dry heat and the house is superb. Add in an automatic pyrethrin sprayer to chase the flies to outside and you're sorted.
Attached Thumbnails The real New Zealand picture thread-endofday.jpg   The real New Zealand picture thread-evening-sail.jpg  
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:58 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

.....A few more
Sorry you had a bad time here Burt - but these things can be sorted out with the addition of a few home improvements, such as a DVS, and for (just a bit) more money, double glazing.

Kiwi house builders are deluding themselves about the climate they live in, but it is changing and new houses are hopefully going to get better.

There's no condensation in our house any more!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:05 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Sorry you had a bad time here Burt - but these things can be sorted out with the addition of a few home improvements, such as a DVS, and for (just a bit) more money, double glazing.

Kiwi house builders are deluding themselves about the climate they live in, but it is changing and new houses are hopefully going to get better.

There's no condensation in our house any more!
funny thread! The underbelly of NZ aye? Dreading the winter here in my rental.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
funny thread! The underbelly of NZ aye? Dreading the winter here in my rental.
Whereabouts are you living? Might not be so bad if......if.....

Actually, you better go out and buy a second mop, just in case.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:19 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Avid
Whereabouts are you living? Might not be so bad if......if.....

Actually, you better go out and buy a second mop, just in case.
Im in Newtown, Wellington. Easy to say, buy heating, do this, that or the other. Sure, if you have the $$ to chuck around. Im on minimum wage in a rental, so that means getting hard!

Life is grim at the moment. Still, been here before, im sure it will improve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.