Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RE: DEAL BREAKERS ?

RE: DEAL BREAKERS ?

Old Jan 30th 2016, 10:49 am
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: DEAL BREAKERS ?

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
My deal breakers for moving 2yrs ago (still in UK) were lack of work for me and housing costs in NZ. Working on the former while watching the latter with trepidation.
Thanks, I have been looking into the housing / rental costs in relation to the NZ salary bands/ cost of living – trying to get a handle on what I would need to be earning as it is just me and my 12 y/o son.

Did you move back to the UK two years ago and still looking to return to NZ (if I read your post correctly) ?

Thanks and have a great weekend
Old Jan 31st 2016, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyCampbell
Yes, that is a very good point. What is the time-frame to get NZ citizenship – is it five years ? Cheers
As far as I know.
2 years from grant of resident visa (with travel qualifications) to full visa.
3 years to sponsor a family member
5 years to apply for citizenship

As for deal breakers - assuming you get over the initial hurdle of finding a job and being accepted and finding affordable accommodation then you probably won't know for a couple of years which things (if any) you have in the UK which you didn't really appreciate that you couldn't live without.

We know we will miss things like ancient buildings, comprehensive museums (especially in London), canals and canal holidays, easy access to Europe, cheap and very varied food, cheap and very varied consumer goods.

For some the low population numbers will equate to far fewer employment opportunities. For example according to one UK site there are about 2.8 million people in the UK employed in Information Technology. That is roughly equivalent to the entire adult population (15-64 years) working and non-working in NZ.

Without living through a winter or two in NZ we won't know if the climate and general lack of crowding and more laid back attitude will compensate for this. Also, things change. Financial, political, family circumstances can all change and make the balance between UK and NZ shift one way or another.

The hardest thing (as seen in several threads here) is where one partner finds a deal breaker and the other one doesn't. One extreme example would be if one partner died - the surviving partner would then have to review how the balance has shifted emotionally and financially.

TL : DR - you won't know until you have tried it.

Last edited by LittleGreyCat; Jan 31st 2016 at 12:20 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Did you move back to the UK two years ago and still looking to return to NZ (if I read your post correctly)
We haven't made it out there yet. for things happening this year. MrH and I did a long, fact finding trip in 2014 using our 25th wedding anniversary as an excuse. In all honesty we expected to go and put the emigrate to NZ itch to bed and settle back into UK life but the visit just confirmed to us that it's something we want to try.

We're planning it all with the attitude that not many folk our age have the chance of a grand adventure and that, if we hate it in ten years time, we can move back to the UK and will be an age where our needs will be much reduced and we won't be reliant on living in expensive areas for work so we'll probably be able to afford to return if we want to.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 12:23 pm
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
As far as I know.
2 years from grant of resident visa (with travel qualifications) to full visa.
3 years to sponsor a family member
5 years to apply for citizenship

As for deal breakers - assuming you get over the initial hurdle of finding a job and being accepted and finding affordable accommodation then you probably won't know for a couple of years which things (if any) you have in the UK which you didn't really appreciate that you couldn't live without.

We know we will miss things like ancient buildings, comprehensive museums (especially in London), canals and canal holidays, easy access to Europe, cheap and very varied food, cheap and very varied consumer goods.

For some the low population numbers will equate to far fewer employment opportunities. For example according to one UK site there are about 2.8 million people in the UK employed in Information Technology. That is roughly equivalent to the entire adult population (15-64 years) working and non-working in NZ.

Without living through a winter or two in NZ we won't know if the climate and general lack of crowding and more laid back attitude will compensate for this. Also, things change. Financial, political, family circumstances can all change and make the balance between UK and NZ shift one way or another.

The hardest thing (as seen in several threads here) is where one partner finds a deal breaker and the other one doesn't. One extreme example would be if one partner died - the surviving partner would then have to review how the balance has shifted emotionally and financially.

TL : DR - you won't know until you have tried it.
Perhaps the term ‘deal breakers’ was too strong !

Ultimately the way I view it is there are two factors in that:
1. What makes anyone want to consider leaving their current country (in this case to move to NZ)
2. Why would anyone consider leaving NZ to move to another country

In my mind such questions cut to the chase but of course we are all different hence some folk will wonder why I even ask such a question/s.

Ultimately we can speculate and at some stage we have to decide whether to give it a go or not. My approach to such things is to make informed decisions and I also do understand that these will not necessary make it the ‘correct’ decision but nonetheless it is part of the process in considering such a big move.

If it was just me on my own I probably would just hop on a plane with my Nikes and ‘just do it’. I also have to consider my son – so yes that will no doubt impact the whole decision / outcome

With regards to population - we live pretty rural up here in sunny Scotland but also have the access to Edinburgh and Glasgow in an hours drive (when it’s not snowing).

Thanks for your input. Appreciate
Old Jan 31st 2016, 12:32 pm
Banned

We haven't made it out there yet. for things happening this year. MrH and I did a long, fact finding trip in 2014 using our 25th wedding anniversary as an excuse. In all honesty we expected to go and put the emigrate to NZ itch to bed and settle back into UK life but the visit just confirmed to us that it's something we want to try.

We're planning it all with the attitude that not many folk our age have the chance of a grand adventure and that, if we hate it in ten years time, we can move back to the UK and will be an age where our needs will be much reduced and we won't be reliant on living in expensive areas for work so we'll probably be able to afford to return if we want to.
Sounds cool.

I can only say that life can be very short and if it is something you really want to do – do it.

One of my fav movies is Grumpy Old Men and that scene where the grandfather says “the first 70 years go by so fast” is so true (not that I am 70 ! ).

I am starting to think about NZ and viewing it as an adventure and if it didn’t work out enjoy the ride anyway.

Nonetheless we are all tied to the money system and can’t just hop around on a whim.

And on that note I am going to check my Lotto ticket

Good luck with it all
Old Jan 31st 2016, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Given your location one thing that might influence your decision is would you still have a job and citizenship if Scotland broke away from the UK?
Old Jan 31st 2016, 1:49 pm
Banned

Given your location one thing that might influence your decision is would you still have a job and citizenship if Scotland broke away from the UK?
It’s no secret – I am Scottish.

I think the term ‘speculation’ has a lot to play in what you have written above.

Nobody knows if Scotland would leave the EU if we are allowed our independence. Just the same as know body really knows what would happen to Scotland if we were allowed to govern our own country. It is all just speculation.

Just the same as you say about NZ the only way to really know is – to do it. Until then it’s all just politicians blowing hot air as usual.

I am very interested in what Iceland has achieved in a very short space of time since it broke away from so-called western governance systems with bankers at the top of that tree. If Scotland was allowed to follow that model there is no reason for Scotland to fail – if Iceland is succeeding.

Just my personal view
Old Feb 1st 2016, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am very interested in what Iceland has achieved in a very short space of time since it broke away from so-called western governance systems with bankers at the top of that tree. If Scotland was allowed to follow that model there is no reason for Scotland to fail – if Iceland is succeeding.
I agree, it would be fascinating to watch and thank you for being so polite about expressing your view.

MrH and I both have jobs that are totally reliant on a smoothly continuing EU membership; the recent uncertainty over both the UK fracturing and/or it leaving the EU is already negatively affecting both our employers so that factored for us as part of our decision making process.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 3:01 pm
Banned

I agree, it would be fascinating to watch and thank you for being so polite about expressing your view.

MrH and I both have jobs that are totally reliant on a smoothly continuing EU membership; the recent uncertainty over both the UK fracturing and/or it leaving the EU is already negatively affecting both our employers so that factored for us as part of our decision making process.
Sorry to hear your position .

My outlook on the EU is rather simple. Let the ‘people’ vote whether we (UK) stay in or leave. Then it would be a truly democratic decision.

My response was not out of my normal attitude, being polite comes naturally to me.

We are all entitled to an opinion , even if it differs, that’s maturity.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 3:04 pm
Banned

Just the same as know body really knows what would happen to Scotland
Unable to edit - but should read nobody
Old Feb 1st 2016, 5:56 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

What is the time-frame to get NZ citizenship – is it five years ? Cheers
depends on what visa you get, if it is PR straight off then you can apply, pay your fee, to get your travel conditions removed after 2 years if you fulfil the criteria, then its another 3 years before you can apply, pay your fee, for citizenship if you fulfil the criteria. total 5 years.

if you have to wait 2 years to gain your PR then the whole process takes 7 years, with the additional first 2 years before you can apply for PR with travel conditions and fee.