Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Prisons UK or Prisons NZ

Prisons UK or Prisons NZ

Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Prisons UK or Prisons NZ

OH is a PO at the moment here in the UK, can anybody tell us what the differences are between the 2... politics, promotion, pay, people, and work life balance?
Trying to find as much info as poss to show him what it could be like for him.
Also anyone tried the NZ correctional service and found it to be better or worse than our home office?

thanks.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prisons UK or Prisons NZ

Originally Posted by big nelly
OH is a PO at the moment here in the UK, can anybody tell us what the differences are between the 2... politics, promotion, pay, people, and work life balance?
Trying to find as much info as poss to show him what it could be like for him.
Also anyone tried the NZ correctional service and found it to be better or worse than our home office?

thanks.
My son in law is a Prison Officer here in NZ but not sure if he will have comparisons as he didn't do this job in the UK. He only started this year.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice

Originally Posted by shirl
My son in law is a Prison Officer here in NZ but not sure if he will have comparisons as he didn't do this job in the UK. He only started this year.
Does he enjoy it? Is he a Kiwi?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Does he enjoy it? Is he a Kiwi?
He does enjoy it and works shifts with days off in between. He did training in Wellington and no he is not a kiwi he is from the UK.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

He does enjoy it and works shifts with days off in between. He did training in Wellington and no he is not a kiwi he is from the UK.
My OH is on a temporary promotion to a Principal Officer at the moment, but was concerned that a move to NZ would mean starting at the bottom of the ladder, he's been in the service for 18 years, so has plenty of experience too.
So we're trying to find out as much info on the process as possible.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:04 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Milton Hilton, thats the name of the one we built a few years ago down South of Dunedin at Milton, double glazed, under floor heating, more like a hotel than a prison, i went to an open evening there to see about jobs and most fo the new staff were British and had seem to have climbed the promotion ladder fairly quickly.

The prisons will differ from where you are in NZ, the ones on the SI seem to be more easy going and relaxed than those in NI.

I think CO ( Correstion Officers } start here on about $41k pa and it goes up the more quals you gain and after 6-12 months it goes up after full training to $46k ish.

The CO i spoke to liked there place of work and their jobs and enjoyed the great friendship and staff keeping an eye on each other, great social life and all the benifits .

Try the Corrections web site, they have all info and mail addresses to ask questions.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Milton Hilton, thats the name of the one we built a few years ago down South of Dunedin at Milton, double glazed, under floor heating, more like a hotel than a prison, i went to an open evening there to see about jobs and most fo the new staff were British and had seem to have climbed the promotion ladder fairly quickly.

The prisons will differ from where you are in NZ, the ones on the SI seem to be more easy going and relaxed than those in NI.

I think CO ( Correstion Officers } start here on about $41k pa and it goes up the more quals you gain and after 6-12 months it goes up after full training to $46k ish.

The CO i spoke to liked there place of work and their jobs and enjoyed the great friendship and staff keeping an eye on each other, great social life and all the benifits .

Try the Corrections web site, they have all info and mail addresses to ask questions.
Are you a prison officer? I just wondered if my OH would have to start at the bottom of the ladder, as i'm sure he'd hate that after 18 years in the job... I know the pay scale is lower than here in the UK, but then so is the cost of living, so, it's all relevant i suppose. I hadn't really thought about the SI much, maybe i'll check that out too! thanks for the info
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:13 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Are you a prison officer? I just wondered if my OH would have to start at the bottom of the ladder, as i'm sure he'd hate that after 18 years in the job... I know the pay scale is lower than here in the UK, but then so is the cost of living, so, it's all relevant i suppose. I hadn't really thought about the SI much, maybe i'll check that out too! thanks for the info
I did not think that the cost of living was lower than the UK

So make sure you do your research

Cheers

K9
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

If he does have to start at the bottom - it would be a crazy decision to make the move i.m.h.o. especially as he isn't keen to start with.
As the other poster said...do not fall for the cost of living is lower stuff. It's not that different but in general the wages are much lower so it means you have to cut your cloth to fit....does that look like greener grass to you?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

slippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by K9s
I did not think that the cost of living was lower than the UK

So make sure you do your research

Cheers

K9
Very long and interesting post Mr K9’s, good to see you back on this forum once again sharing your experiences
I would say the cost of living is less in NZ personally.
Many things are cheaper in the UK but the biggest single financial undertaking will always be your home and that for me is where NZ has the edge.
For example this is currently on the market for £155,000
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=2&tr_t=buy

NICE!

And this is currently for sale for around the same money!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr...-113876369.htm

Mmmm tough one.

If you come to NZ with a few quid and intend on having a small or better still no mortgage then even with the wage difference overall you will be better off. You can research that as much as you want but it’s a fact.

So it’s a nice house or Nelson Mandela house basically.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't think that is a fair comparison. Dunedin is not for everyone for a start and it is up for Tender so could go beyond the 155,000 GBP. You have to do your homework on where you live now and what kind of house/standard of living you have compared to where you are intending to settle if in NZ and make the comparisons accordingly. Yes house prices vary and you do get more for your money but don't be lulled into a false sense of security.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:15 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, no i am not, but i have looked into the prison service and it seems alot easier than UK one and the building at Milton is state of the art, but at present they have just sent down a plane full of Cons from NI, most are Mogrel Mob gang members and once the prison was easy going, now they are worried about the Mob rule, once they get in there in numbers, things will change thats for sure.
I know lots of Brits who have moved down south to work in new prison and have moved to villages, and seem to be doin ok, depends on where you live in UK, and what you want from your life in NZ, some rural towns and villages are hard to live in and for some time the folks there might be not to friendly at first.

I would start with the Corrections web site and contact tham about vacancies and wages ect.
I'm sure they would be interested in a chap with those years of service.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that is a fair comparison. Dunedin is not for everyone for a start and it is up for Tender so could go beyond the 155,000 GBP. You have to do your homework on where you live now and what kind of house/standard of living you have compared to where you are intending to settle if in NZ and make the comparisons accordingly. Yes house prices vary and you do get more for your money but don't be lulled into a false sense of security.
If you can't live here mortgage-free, I thought NZ's ratio of average house price to average salaries was one of the least favourable?
I'm sure I read a newspaper article recently comparing NZ cost of living and Dunedin was one of the cheapest areas...but people have to go where the work is as Shirl says. Dunedin would be very cold with inadequate heating in your house wouldn't it?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

slippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by luvwelly
If you can't live here mortgage-free, I thought NZ's ratio of average house price to average salaries was one of the least favourable?
I'm sure I read a newspaper article recently comparing NZ cost of living and Dunedin was one of the cheapest areas...but people have to go where the work is as Shirl says. Dunedin would be very cold with inadequate heating in your house wouldn't it?
Having experienced both areas I feel that Dunedin has a better overall climate than Welly with its constant wind and rain, but each to their own I suppose. Most houses in NZ have inadequate heating in my opinion not just down here in Dunedin.
Back to mortgages as I have said you would need little or no mortgage at all to live any sort of a decent life in NZ. Nowhere is much fun without money to live on and generally the wages are pretty dire here and that is why so many kiwis are crossing the ditch. I might join them one day!
Thank god for that I hear you say........
Luvdunners
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry you didnt think it was a fair comparison.
How about this one for sale at £55,000 pounds less than Del Boys flat -
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr...-166975250.htm
Though its not perfect, try buying that for £100k in the UK.
Yes you are right Dunedin is not for everyone,............. but I think its a great place and prefer it to anywhere else that I have lived in NZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.