Reload this Page >

Prison Service employees wanting to move to NZ

Prison Service employees wanting to move to NZ

Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Tylaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prison Service employees wanting to move to NZ

Hi!

Just a little background first - Im a Operational Support Grade in a CAT A prison in the uk and my Mother in a Prison Officer in the same one, we have been talking for a few months about coming to NZ to live and work in theyre prison system, but I havent seen anything for OSG's? I work in the control room which is also a Emergency Control Room linked to the command suite for major incidents and was wondering (among other questions) if there is such a thing in NZ prisons?
Also Im 21 and my mother is 49 - I know the cut off is 55 for uk to go to nz but I was wondering if they would take me if i didnt secure a job first but my mother did?

Thank you in advance xxx
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Prison Service employees wanting to move to NZ

Hi there and a warm welcome to this wee NZ forum on British Expats.

First things first. As you are an adult with your own job, you and your Mum would each be making separate visa applications if you do happen to gain job offers in New Zealand. In other words, one cannot springboard on the back of the other.

Here is a link to the NZ Corrections Officers website. HERE

The Dept of Corrections is an NZIS ( NZ Immigration) accredited employer. That means that they are free to offer any suitable overseas applicant a job.

There are a couple of NZ correction officers on here . Hopefully they will be along shortly to help you.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a prison officer on here and has posted recently on another thread so hoping they'll comment about the possibility of a job and location of prisons etc.

Visa wise you aren't a dependent child so in that respect you wouldn't be able to go on a resident visa application if your mother went that route. You would have to be eligible to make your own application.
Also, if your mother secured a job over here and went the temporary work visa route - e.g. an Essential Skills Work Visa then you wouldn't be able to get one on the back of that as you wouldn't be covered under the family stream route for a temporary work visa of your own.
Again, you would have to get your own job offer and apply for your own visa.

OSG isn't recognised in the Skill shortage list checker and even though Prison Officer is classed as a skilled occupation here, it is not on any of the skill shortage lists so in that respect you wouldn't be able to claim any additional points in a Resident Visa application via the skilled migrant route.

Since you are 21, you could look at a working holiday visa (WHV) which would allow you to come and live / work temporarily for up to 2 years (not more than 12 months with the same employer). Being here in person and being allowed to work in a temporary job gaining experience here may then allow you to secure a more permanent job offer which you could use to get a Temporary Work Visa for up to 5 years......which may lead to a resident visa at a later stage assuming you became eligible and had enough points.
This WHV opportunity wouldn't be unavailable to your mother due to age and eligibility, but if she has been a prison officer for a while then there's a chance she'd be able to secure a job herself and be able to apply for a temporary work visa that way.

Last edited by escapedtonz; Mar 25th 2015 at 11:54 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We don't have operational support here in nz so you'd have to apply to be a corrections officer.
Your mum would also need to apply and go through the whole selection proccess and training program.
There is no waiver for serving officers from overseas regardless of their experiance.
There are always vacancies advertised all over the county and there is a new 1000 bed
prison coming online this year at Wiri in south auckland. That is being run by serco so you could apply
to them as well (they also run mount eden prison in central auckland)

If you need anymore info feel free to PM me.
I am currently considering applying for HMPS so maybe you could answer some of my questions

Cheers
Col

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 26th 2015 at 6:00 am.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

Hello

I'm an ex UK HMP Officer now working for NZ HMP. NZ don't have OSG's, why don't you apply to be an Officer ? NZ HMP are crying out for staff, with your background they would look at you favourably.
Is there any where in particular in NZ you want to live? There are only 17 Government run jails here.
Any other info, PM me.

Justcol - if I can help with any UK HMP questions please PM me.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Tylaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies -

Given me a lot to think about, but I dont think i could be a prison officer as it looks crazy scary, but i was thinking programmes facilitator as i did see there was jobs for that in nz so i could try and get the job here as facilitator then maybe transfer?
all so confusing ! lol

JustCol if you need some answers about HMPS just pm me ill try and help

Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 27th 2015, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigdog

Justcol - if I can help with any UK HMP questions please PM me.
Thanks, I'll be in touch
Old Mar 27th 2015, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tylaa
JustCol if you need some answers about HMPS just pm me ill try and help
Thanks everyone!
Cheers
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Cheers
Have PM you Col
Old Mar 27th 2015, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Have PM you Col
You've got mail
Old Jul 21st 2015, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

sedmitchell is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to piggy back onto this thread but I am considering applying for a couple of corrections jobs (Correction officer) in the south island at the moment.

I am looking for someone to let me know what the fitness test involves. Have tried looking about the web but can't seem to find any info.

Cheers

Scott
Old Jul 21st 2015, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sedmitchell
Sorry to piggy back onto this thread but I am considering applying for a couple of corrections jobs (Correction officer) in the south island at the moment.

I am looking for someone to let me know what the fitness test involves. Have tried looking about the web but can't seem to find any info.

Cheers

Scott
Hi Scott

I've sent you a message

Pigdog
Old Jul 21st 2015, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

That's great thanks.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 12:18 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

There's a poster on this site named, 'Fooferfish' I believe they work for the Dept of Corrections in Dunedin, a town in the south of the South Island of Dunedin.

You could use the search facility to find posts by that name or send a PM if you wish to.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 12:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
There's a poster on this site named, 'Fooferfish' I believe they work for the Dept of Corrections in Dunedin, a town in the south of the South Island of Dunedin.

You could use the search facility to find posts by that name or send a PM if you wish to.
Thanks. I'll give that a look.